Tuesday 12 August 2014

That Secret Smile - a scrap page

Evening Everyone,

Well, what a horrible couple of days it's been. What's left of Hurricane Bertha has been doing it's best to flatten the garden, so no 'In a Vase on Monday' this week ...I'm not sure there is going to be anything worth picking after this. Then aches and pains interrupted sleep last night so I finally gave in and got up in the wee small hours just in time to hear the sad news that Robin Williams had died. Such a wonderfully funny man and a fine actor, he will be much missed. And then, as if I wasn't miserable enough by then, Sky went down this afternoon leaving me without an Internet connection and no TV! It can only get better, surely. Thank goodness the craft room wasn't closed too.

Enough of whinging, here's a scrap page I made recently.
I'm always looking for inspiration, especially for scrapbooking so when, back in July, Sarah of SJ Crafts challenged scrappers to copy her 'start' layout and then finish it in whatever way we liked, I thought it was a good idea. One that I could use to create a page for a lovely photo I had of my middle granddaughter, Jolene.  Needless to say, I missed a couple of vital steps ... first, I forgot to take a photo of my layout in the 'start' phase, second, I completely missed the deadline for submission ... but at least it did inspire me to complete another page :)

The papers used are not from a particular kit but just a few I selected from my stash as ones that went well together and with the photo. Some, unfortunately, I don't have details for ... the local craft shop sells lucky bag selections of patterned paper for a song - some have details, others don't. However, I can tell you that the pale pink butterfly patterned paper and the lace and rose one used for the larger photo mat are from Ciao Bella, the multi-coloured hearts on a black background is Ka-Zoo from K & Company, and the smaller mat, pink with white hearts is Blossom Boulevard from American Craft's Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic. What I can be sure of is that they are all from old collections.
In this school photo I thought Jolene's smile was not at all like the wide smile she usually has. Not surprising, she is, as the title says, hiding a secret ... she's wearing a brace and, understandably, she did not want that to appear in the photo. I think her smile is not unlike the Mona Lisa's - not that I'm suggesting that she was hiding a brace too :) Picking out colours in the Ka-Zoo heart patterned paper, the letters used are from Pebbles ABC stickers (black), American Craft's Thickers (leaf green), and, I think but can't be certain, BoBunny for the small red tiled ones.
To make the embellishment clusters I've used a combination of stamps, Inkandinkado Camera (set includes the word Smile); stickers from various sources, Echo Park Splendid Sunshine (green punch edging), Dear Lizzy Accent & Phrase stickers, Basic Grey's Capture snippets; the hearts and circles were punched from snippets of card and paper; enamel dots from My Mind's Eye.
The pennants are hand cut from snippets of patterned paper and the flair is from My Mind's Eye Now and Then collection, the Dorothy 'Lovely Day' set.

One thing I forgot to mention is that all the papers, etc., are edged with Tim Holtz Black Soot distress ink and the stamping is in Archival black.

I used up a fair amount of snippets on this page so I'm submitting it to Pixie's Snippets Playground.

It's been a long day so I'm off to bed - and hoping for a really good night's sleep too.

Wishing you all a great day tomorrow.

Happy Crafting,

6 comments:

scrappymo! said...

I hope you get a sound sleep tonight...no interruptions and restful sleep at that!
Jolene has an intreuging smile in this great layout...A bit of the Mona Lisa look in her face!

Wonderful layout...I love all the small details. The embellishments are perfect and great design!

Jackie said...

A beautiful photograph and a lovely page :o)
Jackie xx

Sandra H said...

Ooooh so pretty is your page Elizabeth x

Hettie said...

Sorry to hear you are not sleeping. I know that feeling only too well.
So sad about Robin Williams...he was a funny funny man. So sad.
Love your layout. I hope you have journalled the background to the smile on there somewhere.
The papers are all great together. Isn't it great when we can jumble up lots of different papers from different companies together?
Hugs
xx

Di said...

Oh what a lovely layout Elizabeth! Super paper and design - and I love the secret smile :)

Hope you're feeling better by now - a decent night's sleep can be so precious! And yes, such a shame about Robin Williams - he said something so telling:

'I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not, the worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.'

A real loss :(

Hugs, Di xx

Jean said...

A lovely photo and a great layout.I love all the little embellishments.
Jean x