Monday 25 August 2014

Two Little Gift Angels for Rudolph Day

Afternoon Everyone,

It's the 25th and for me it's not only August Bank Holiday Monday but also Rudolph Day. Now Sarn, at Stamping For Pleasure, is a hard task master! To please her we are asked to make at least two cards!!! It takes me all my time to make one, so making another in much the same design is more than a little challenge. However, once more I've risen to that challenge, though this time I might have excelled myself because it's two cards that are almost identical.
Sometimes I amaze myself :)

The little angel bearing gifts, that's the stamp that has been sitting on my desk for weeks now, was stamped with a black dye ink and then coloured with a selection of markers. Glitter glue has been used on the wings, hat and smeared around the feet to indicate 'snow' ... after all, they are snow angels! Both toppers are matted and layered on to cardstock that picks out the shades used in the colouring.
Because of the white snowflake embossed paper layer, a piece left over from another project which was just big enough for both cards, the die-cut snowflakes, an X-Cut snowflake that is free with Docrafts Creativity Magazine this month, were just the right embellishment. Tip: rub intricate dies like this one with a tumble dryer sheet before cutting out - works a treat; those snowflakes popped out of the die no problem at all. The tiny round greeting stamp is an old one from Lily of the Valley. It's just the right size for cutting out with another X-Cut die - the smallest circle in the Nesting Circles set - and it makes the perfect centrepiece for a snowflake!

As well as Sarn's Rudolph Day Challenge mentioned above, I'm also submitting the cards to Di's challenge over at Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 139 - as ever, must use snippets - the white card used to stamp on and the snowflake embossed paper.

I don't want to be alarmist but my calculator - scroll right down to the bottom of this page - tells me that we have 122 days to get all those Christmas cards done, that's scarily just 17 weeks, or even more scarily only three more Rudolph Days! At my rate of production that's only 6 more cards ... help!!! I think I'm going to have to try harder or prepare myself for burning the midnight oil in December.

Nothing for it, I better be off to see if I can make one or two more.

Happy Crafting,
Materials used: white squared shaped card bases; red, green, pink, blue coloured cardstock - various sources; snippets of smooth white card for stamping; the leftover snowflake embossed paper - maker unknown; Stampendous Gift Angel stamp; Lily of the Valley Christmas greeting stamp; Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad; ProMarkers in shades of red, green, blue, pink and grey; Crystal Stickles; Docrafts X-Cut dies - free snowflake and Nesting Circles set; green and pink card candy





20 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Two wonderful Christmas cards.
I have been pondering doing exactly as you did...creating two of the same design.
It makes such perfect sense...quicker to batch bake and if you have a great design, then all the better!
Yours definitely falls into this category. The snowflake is the perfect embellishment for that EF!

Pretty snow angels too!

Jenny L said...

Hi Elizabeth,
2 very lovely Rudolf and Snippets cards.
Love the super different colours, and your stamped images.
I like the idea of putting your sentiment in the middle of a snowflake, never thought of that one.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

brenda said...

Two real sweeties Elizabeth, I really should make a start but apart from DT samples not make a single one for Christmas.

B x

Jacee said...

How wonderful Elizabeth, two smashing cards, love the image.
Hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Bonnie said...

I love this delightful image, Elizabeth! And using such different colors makes totally different cards! Christmas is scarily close!

Sandra H said...

Simply gorgeous cards Elizabeth as always beautiful design and full of lots of lovely details x

mamapez5 said...

I think most of us are realising there is not much time left to get the Christmas cards made! I love this little angel, and the way you have coloured them to match the layering - (or was it the other way round and you layered them to match the colouring!) Kate x

Kathleen said...

Love the way you have used trasitional and non-traditional colours. Super image and two lovely cards.

Kath x

Krisha said...

Both cards are stunning!

Greta said...

Darling cards! Thanks for the tip, too!

debby4000 said...

Such a fabulous Christmas cards, adorable image.
luv
Debby

Jean said...

Two lovely cards Elizabeth, The little angels are very sweet and I like the two different colour schemes.
Jean x

Jackie said...

A very pretty pair they are too, the two colour combos make them look so different :o)
Jackie xx

Di said...

Oh these are lovely Elizabeth! Amazing how the same image and design but different colours can change them so much. I have that Stampendous 'Gift Angel' stamp (probably one of the first ones I ever bought) and keep forgetting to use it - along with the very similar 'Snow Angles' - three little girlies in a row also same characters.

Batch baking is the way to go methinks :)

Hugs, Di xx

Bobbie Lynn said...

What sweet Christmas cards. A very cute image. Wonderful colors and I like the sparkle you added too. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful rest of the week.
Blessings!

Twinks Stamping said...

Very cute cards and love the fact that you have done them in both traditional and non traditional colours xxx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh Elizabeth these are so cute wodnerful cards .. thanks for sharing Shaz in Oz.x

MaryH said...

A darling image, and I love the 2 ways you colored it. Very pretty and I like all those layers too. Thanks for the dryer tip sheet. I'll have to take some down to my area. I have some used dryer sheets stashed there, but I'm guessing perhaps you mean to use a 'new sheet' to get the 'stuff' off to make the die release more easily? I have seen some other techniques using the old used sheets over a card front, with some sprays & such, which is why I've got the oldies in a box. Haven't tried the technique as yet, then have to find the blogs where I saw the instructions! Great cards & TFS. Hugs

Sarn said...

Hi Elizabeth

I'm playing catch up after returning from holiday - hence the late comment!

I'm very impressed that you rose to the challenge and made two really cute festive cards. The countdown to Christmas has really begun now hasn't it?!

Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

Hugs from Hard Taskmaster Sarn! xxx

Hettie said...

Hi Elizabeth. These two cards are so sweet. I love the pinkey one too.
I am playing catch up but not because of any holiday, just no internet earlier in the week and out to dinner with a friend last night.
Hugs
xx