Sunday 7 April 2013

Fir Branches Snippet Card ... plus a few Sunday photos

Hello Everyone,

I hope you have all had a happy Sunday. It's not been a bad day at all here - chilly but sunny enough to lure me out for a Sunday walk ... more about that later.

First, here's a card for Pixie's Crafty Snippets Playground - Week 67.


Materials used:

  • a 4"square white card base
  • a strip of white card approximately 4" x 17/8". I used a Big and Juicy ink pad, Spice, and an ink duster to colour the background - keeping mostly to the green end of the pad but finishing with a dusting around the edges from the brown end. 
  • the fir branches are from Sheena Douglass A Little Bit Sketchy 2, Faith - the bare branches were stamped first using a mid-green from the Big and Juicy ink pad and then the fir leaves were stamped over that using a darker green, Tim Holtz distress marker, Peeled Paint. 
  • a scrap of mid-green Core'dinations for matting - cut slightly wider than the stamped panel
  • the greeting, stamped using the distress marker, is from Sheena Douglass A Little Bit Sketchy, Poppies and Daisies - love the font.
This card was a really simple one to make. Getting the greeting in the right place was the most difficult part ... I've tried one of those stampamajig gadgety thingies and still find it easier to do it by eye! Sigh! There's no hope for me. Even the strip of white card was cut from a spoiled card blank ... with all the mistakes I make, I have a goodly few of them in the snippets pile.

As promised, I'll finish with a few photos from our walk today.


The beach at Ayr, looking south towards the Heads of Ayr - it was much busier on the promenade than down on the sands. After visiting the beach we drove down the coast to Dunure - we love the harbour there. 






This boat is somewhat inappropriately named Sea Hunter - judging by the peeling paint it's hunting days are over. Great colours though, and the peeling paint is so tactile ... I couldn't resist running my hand over it :)

Dunure's harbour is a 200 year old though there are far fewer fishing boats there than in days gone by. However, it's very popular with visitors, especially at the weekends, and today it was particularly busy. There was a Subaru 'convention' going on down there this afternoon - lots of souped up sporty numbers with drivers who mistook our quiet country roads for Brands Hatch chose Dunure as a 'pit stop' - sadly, a photo that got away ... I was too slow and missed a golden opportunity!!!

Finally, I'll leave you with a bit of a tease.


Can you guess what it is? I can't wait to read your comments :))

Well, that's it for this evening - time I was thinking of bed :)

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend.

Take care and happy crafting,

16 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Lovely Elizabeth - great card and equally fab pickies, Shaz in oz.x

scrappymo! said...

Great snippets card! I was so impressed to read about the dusters to spread the ink. I learned about them blog reading...they sound great...Di had some for a prize and i also saw them on some WOYWW desks in 2012.
I think it means you are a card making pro! I think they look so professional! I will have to check the card makers shop near me...I know the scrapbook store i frequest don't have them...
I have been giving my TH stains and inks some blending try's...try is the word...boy, oh boy, i have a lot to learn...it is hard to keep a light touch!!!

Loved your pictures. Ayre look gorgeous...the sands are so deserted!

That harbour looks like a fun day of watching the boats launch in and out. I guess they use tractors like over here...

Dh goes to a free dock and launches ours from the truck sometimes...I prefer when he pays the marina to do it with the tractors... as he needs me to hold the rope while he drives the trailer away to free the launch for the next fellow. I am standing there like a dilly holding the boat from floating away while the next guy is a foot away from me...it is un-nerving...
Much more fun to sit on a bench at the harbour and watch the fellows with the tractors do all the work! teeehee

scrappymo! said...

PS Can't guess...I am scratching my head thinking ????

Di said...

Brilliant card Elizabeth - I love the fir branches, a perfect result.

Great photos as well - but I have no idea what the mystery one is, unless it's a cattle grid? :) Sigh, failed again.

Hugs, Di xx

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card, I love the soft colours and layout.
Beautiful photographs, especially the harbour ones and I love that old boat with the peeling paint.
As for what it is, I think it's a photograph cut into strips :o)
Jackie xx

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card there Elizabeth. Great photos too. I will share some of my weekend pictures later once I have properly "landed"!
I am guessing on the beach through a wooden fence?
x

Nathalie said...

I love the stamping on your card! It almost look like you sketched those branches! Lovely!
I enjoyed visiting your corner of the world through your photos too :) Thank you so much for visiting my blog recently :D

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth, l do like your Photos so nice that you share them with your fellow bloggers, l liked the harbour l came from a fishing family and we don't have very much on fishing boats now but it's always nice to see working boats they brings back many a happy memory!! your snippet card is also beautiful xx

MaryH said...

Pine branches...so pretty. This was very dramatic the way you did the layout. Really loved this. I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures too. That boat was something...so scenic. I'm going to guess the mystery pic is perhaps a 'board type of bridge' over some grassy sedge? (Like a boardwalk at the beach?). That's my best guess...and thanks so much for showing a bit of Scotland! TFS & Hugs

Lynn said...

Great snippet card. Love the image, and I like the dusting of ink for the background. What a beautiful part of the country you are in, and a wonderful way to spend a weekend. The mystery pic - hm, I think it may be the seat of a bench. :-) Lynn x

Sue - said...

Great card - has a sort of oriental feel to it IMO. Beach and harbour look lovely too.

Sarn said...

Great ink duster card there Elizabeth.

Is the mystery photo a painted pallet box fence? xxx

Gillian R said...

lovely card and what fab pictures too, I live in Aberdeen, we certainly haven't been getting the same weather as you

Bubbles said...

I thought the mystery pic might have been set strapping... maybe?
Anyway... I have that stamp set - it's so beautiful - and now I may be stealing yor stamping idea to incorporate into a christmas mini album I will be making soon - if you don't mind?
Just visiting from the Crafty Snippets Playground,
Bubbles
at Patchwork Apples
# 35

Amanda said...

Simply stunning card, love the elegance of it. I also have a stamp placement thingy and fnd I move it so it never stamps straight so I am a by eye girl too. Every time I say by eye I think of sue smith on create and craft lol. Lovely photos and gorgeous scenery too, I love our harbour towns and regularly visit Brixham as I love walking along the harbour wall listening t the seagulls. Hugs, Amanda x

Darnell said...

Elizabeth, your card is breathtaking!! I'm keeping that one in my faves!

Thanks, as always, for sharing your beautiful photos!! The mystery photo? It looks like thin boards or metal planking on a footbridge through which you can look down and see the ground? I purposely didn't read any other comments, and now I shall ... can't wait to find out what it is!