Thursday 11 April 2013

Bird of Paradise Canvas

Afternoon All,

I hope your day is going well for you. It's not going too badly here. It's raining and the garden really needed it so I'm not complaining. Rain also means that it is warmer ... yippee!

I have a canvas wall hanging to share with you today. Another item from my aqua phase :))


Yes, I know, it's not hanging in this photo - but the photo taken of it hanging is not good ... scroll down to see why.


This is one of those canvas boards that you can pick up in a pack for a song at The Works (UK). Starting with a coat of white gesso, I painted and sprayed with a mix of Pebeo paint and shimmer sprays. I used some sequin waste as a mask. The bird of paradise topper is one of the last remaining items from a scrapping kit bought way back in 1997/98. I was able to use all the items except this and one other topper ... they just didn't fit with the theme of any layouts made with the rest of the kit.

Here's the less than lovely photo of it hanging up.


This is the wall that I always use as a background and in real life the canvas looks lovely on it - it just doesn't photograph well ... rather like myself :))


Really, all I did for the embellishments was raid my stash. The feathers, flowers, lace, seam binding and ric rac - all ready and just waiting to be used. And the die-cuts were gifts from my very generous crafting buddies ... the die-cut poppies I painted with H2Os and the white cherry blossoms were sprayed with teal Radiant Rain. To make the crinkly double bow, I dampened and scrunched up the seam binding first and then tied it.

Materials used: a white canvas board measuring 7"x5"; white gesso; blue Pebeo paint; Luminarte Radiant Rain, Teal Zircon; Cosmic Shimmer Mist, Pearl Mist & Blue Lime; H2Os, Just Peachy, Celedon and Sea Spray from the Summer Fun set; sequin waste for masking; the Spellbinders die-cut and die-cut poppies were gifts from friends; topper unused from a very old kit; feathers and pearls from The Works; white cherry blossoms (sprayed with teal Radiant Rain)and pink tinged hellebore from Wild Orchid Crafts; aqua seam binding from The Ribbon Girl; Marianne Vintage white cotton lace; Anna Griffin Hannah collection blue, ric rac; pearls from stash.

Oops! Almost forgot I wanted to submit this to the following:

Belli Challenge #167 - Pastels - the spirit of the Belli challenges is to encourage you to use your OLD and FORGOTTEN embellishments - I've certainly applied that spirit to my wall hanging :)

That's it for now - it's lunch time here so I'm off to grab a bite to eat.

Take care all. Thanks for visiting. Happy crafting,


8 comments:

Alison Scott said...

Beautiful wall hanging. So pretty.
You must be like me, camera's never like me. I think I have 3 or 4 photos of me in the house on display out of about 50 around the house.

Marie-Louise said...

This is a beautiful wall hanging Elizabeth.

Cass said...

Wow, this is amazing. Just love what you've done, a very inspiring piece of work. Memo to self - start spraying paint!

Cassidy xx

Rita said...

Absolutely Stunning Elizabeth. I love the colours you have chosen to create this hanging and I bet it looks super on that wall. WE definately needed that rain to help the plants grow. Hugs Rita xx

Di said...

Wow, I adore this! Tons of work there Elizabeth and such a pretty result - and just just BET you used some snippets too :)

Hugs, Di xx

Sandra H said...

"WOW" Elizabeth this is truly beautiful such a great idea too! lovely and fresh colours used xx

Craftychris said...

Its gorgeous! I hope you enjoyed your lunch xx

coops said...

wow so stunning elizabeth.so many pretty details and colours and the bird is beautiful ;D

xx coops xx