Tuesday 23 April 2013

WOYWW 203

Hello Everyone,

I'm back ... did you miss me? I missed you and the weekly excuse invitation to peek and peer at What's On Your Desk.

For those not already in the know about the phenomenon that's WOYWW, click the link and go investigate Julia's Stamping Ground ... you'll find a host of links to fellow crafting bloggers happily showing the space where they craft to all and sundry.


My desk this week is looking rather better than the sorry state it got in whilst I was poorly. It had become a bit of a dumping ground for unfinished projects, unopened mail and anything else the EM could not find a home for. Today, most of that has been cleared away, the unfinished projects are done - that pile of scraps to the left is testimony to that - and I've now got everything else sorted into piles. Towards the back of the craft mat is a couple of mailing receipts to be filed away, a bookmark waiting for me to find the magnetic fasteners ... after the last major reorganisation of my stash, I can't, for the life of me, remember where I've put them ... a random piece of white embossed card (dandelions), a couple of pieces that was used for colour testing ProMarkers and inks on, some recently used Stickles and a jar of mixed card candy.

The pile to the right is some of my granddaughter's art - created when she was 4 years old - and lovingly displayed, by the aye proud grandparents, on the kitchen wall for the last 5 years! I've taken it down with the intention of scanning and printing it off. The plan is to make a scrap layout and preserve it for the next generation :) Next to that, and in front of one of my two treasured MS punches (butterfly border) is a box of page map cards, and one card that I've pulled out to use as a guide for the layout.

The pile centre front is composed of embossing folders, dies and a new Debbie Moore embossing blank (diffuser) I've been putting through its paces. I'd been wondering just how I could get the effect of a frame from my collection of embossing folders, was toying with the idea of cutting out shapes from cardboard, cereal packaging perhaps, and layering them together but then spotted these and thought I'd test out a couple. They work well in my Cuttlebug and I'm pleased with the result but they are only really suitable for use with the larger folders, i.e. 5x7 and I only have a couple of these. I have a ton of the smaller sized folders. Lucky then that I spotted a YouTube demo from none other than Lynsey, The Frugal Crafter - a fellow WOYWWer I believe - in which she shows how it can be done with cardboard - click here to see how - just as I had envisaged. Thanks Lynsey, you've just saved me a fortune :)

Okay, this is rather longer than Julia likes our postings to be so I'll call it a day and take myself off to the blog hop :))

Before I go, I'd like to thank you all for the get well wishes received throughout last and this week. I'm sure it was all those good vibes that hastened the dreaded lurgy on its way.

Have an enjoyable WOYWW experience and a great week.

Happy crafting,

32 comments:

Di said...

Crumbs, I thought you'd been turned over by a burglar Elizabeth - but will let you off due to not being well lately :)

How strange, I'd been playing with cardboard and embossing folders here too - without much luck I might add. I'll nip over and check the link, thank you for that :)

Happy WOYWW, so pleased you're feeling a lot better.

Hugs, Di xx

Annie said...

You sound better :-)
You really do sound to be back on top of life and enjoying it too so that's wonderful. :-)
Hugs,
A x # 39

Anne said...

Hi Elizabeth like your idea re the children's artwork. I have a lot done by my grandchildren over the last eight years - have kept everything in a large file - would be good to do something with it - mmmm will have to think. Anne x #62

Helen said...

Glad you're feeling better, and sharing your busy desk! Doesn't look like much space left to work (I know that feeling!!) Helen, 2

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

So glad you're feeling better now Elizabeth. What a lovely idea to preserve your granddaughter's art work :o)
I have indeed been following the Sewing Bee. That's what has inspired me to get cracking with the sewing again. Thanks for visiting today .
Fiona x

JoZart Designs said...

So pleased you are on the mend Elizabeth. It's not good being under par as we have so many lovely things to do and it puts off everything.
It really looks like Spring has arrived, on your desk as well as outside, with all your sorting out.
The children's art will be the treasures of the future. My own DD1 did a whole series of art work at uni based on some of her childhood pieces I had saved and they were fabulous.
Lots of love Jo x

Alison Scott said...

Great idea to scrap the kids artwork. I found some of ours in a bag recently and they were put back on the notice board!
Glad your feeling yourself again.
No WOYWW for me this week as have an empty desk.

Angie said...

I am so sorry you have been so ill ...and I didnt realize it ...you know I would have sent loads of love and hugs ...but I am glad you are on the mend now .This years bugs have been bad ...poor Robbie missed the wedding and Kris only just got there with a bag of sick bags on hand !!!!thankfully we went a few days early so he had time to be his old self. Take Care ...late hugs xx Angie xx58

CraftygasheadZo said...

Fab fun desk love the artwork always fab to keep! Take care Zo xx 82

BJ said...

Oh is that the freebie butterfly I can see there? BJ#31

Roudi said...

You're back! We sure did miss you! Fabulous looking desk and I'm so glad you're better. Hugs. xx Roudi #71

Monica said...

Welcome back and it is so good to hear you are feeling better and getting back to crafting and creating.

Monica 103

ria gall said...

Hi Elizabeth
it is good to have you back but boy have you been busy. Are you doing too much too soon. Your desk is looking great
Happy WOYWW #203 and thank you for sharing your desk with us today
Ria #60

Krisha said...

Hi Elizabeth, Your desk is looking organized this week. I have used GD art work as the background for a LO of her making it. So much fun. Take it slow and keep getting stornger.
Krihsa #108

Lisa said...

Great desk! Love the idea of scanning in your granddaughter's art work! Thanks for the visit. Lisa Sparkle :)

Caro said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better. I was drawn to the pile of a small person's artwork and writing straight away...I have a pile that is being put into an album to remember as well! Thanks for sharing. Happy WOYWW. Caro xx #131

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Elisabeth
glad to hear you are feeling better and now have lots going on on your desk... happy playing
janet #23

Jackie said...

Thanks for adding the link to Lindsey she has some great ideas and also writes for scrap and stamp magazine
I watched it and will be going to try it now
Pleased Your on the mend
Jackie 15

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling better and I had to smile at the mess! It's what I do all the time ... whenever I don't know where to put something, it goes on my workspace to be 'sorted out later'... *sigh* Thanks for your visit today and Happy Woyww Liz@51

Unknown said...

Crikey, you have lots going on there!
Karen #64

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Aww, love the Art from Long Ago..so cute! I've got a laminated place mat from the Millennium where my then 3 year old son put his hand prints. Now he's 17 and 6'2"!! Tempus Fugit and all that :)
I did agree with the judge's decision actually, though I harboured a secret desire for Sandra to win. Ann's stuff was just so immaculately made (if a trifle 'safe'. Lauren just didn't have sufficient technique ultimately, though I loved her evening dress. But I couldn't sew any of that stuff, so what do I know???!!
Glad to hear you're feeling better at long last.
Hugs, LLJ 22 xx

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Elisabeth
I just popped back to say yes there are stone sinside the felt paper weights.... not small ones either they take a bit of work to make but are worth it. thanks for the visit
janet #23 again

famfa said...

Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment about my pouffe. Your desk is looking lovely and productive x

Kelly said...

I totally get the 'dumping ground' picture. Doesn't it feel awesome when we can get in there and put it to rights? Thanks for the link to the tute. What would be do without our faithful frugal crafter? :-) Love her to pieces! Creative Blessings! Kelly #123

Darnell said...

Hi, Elizabeth! Thank you for your visit to the Playhouse. I'm so delighted to hear you are back up and running!! You were missed.

Well done getting through the sorting and putting the desk to rights. I think your idea to scan and scrap your granddaughter's art is so inspired. It will be a treasure!!

Thanks for the link to Lynsey! Have a wonderful, healthy week! Darnell #52

Karen said...

Glad you're feeling better, you're definitely not well if you don't craft! Will check out the link to see what I can use with my embossing folders! Karen 129 x

Claire said...

look at that gorgeous artwork! great idea to scan it and preserve it :)
and thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment :)
happy WOYWW and have a great week!
no 1

Lindsay Weirich said...

I love the idea of scanning the kids art, I have special art saved in a large tote but it is almost full and my kids are in grades 3and4! looks like you have some great projects going on! Happy {late} WOYWW! Lindsay #85

Twiglet said...

Glad you are feeling better. Just had a good snoop round your desk. Thanks for your comment re wedding pics. It really was a happy day - will post more pics when Max gets back from hols. x Jo

Neet said...

Glad you are feeling much better Elizabeth. You must be to have tidied up and finished things off. My, you put me to shame. My desk is in a mess - the sewing machine has gone (not used yet) and the alcohol inks and metal stuff has filled it all. Getting nicely to the end of prep for the workshop when my big son calls. he ended up having a lesson with metal and tooling - surprise for me as he poo pooh's my crafting normally. He was blown away with the embossing he did (powder and heat gun) to finish his masterpiece off.
Keep well. Hugs, Neet (who keeps getting distracted when she spots a name) around 6 I think xx

Beverley Baird said...

Your desk looks ready for crafting - lots of great stuff there.

Thanks for stopping by. #16
Happy WOYWW!

Tertia said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. There is enough on that desk to keep you going for a while, so enjoy playing with all that wonderful stuff.
Happy belated WOYWW!
Tertia #17