Sunday 29 July 2012

Two Cards from the Snippet Pile

Morning Everyone,

It's Sunday, Snippet # 31 Day over on Pixie's Crafty Workshop, and I'm breaking my own tardy record and posting snippet makes today ... how'z about that? It must be the influence of the Olympics.

Oh, and talking of the Olympics, wasn't that ceremony something! I loved it, though it was just as well we had the presenters interpreting for us at times. Particular highlights for me - the film montages ... got to be an inspired way of including TV viewers; the Queen's bit, proving that she does indeed have a sense of humour; the dark satanic mills rising from the ground; the NHS sequence - the children were a delight; Chris Hoyle, Steve Redgrave, and yes, David Beckham's role ... they did us proud - as did all the volunteers. I didn't want it to end, even though I was dead tired by the finish and could hardly keep my eyes open :))

I'd better get to those snippet cards.


First one up, uses snippets of white card and a piece of embossed gold card that's been lingering in the pile for about eighteen months! It's also monochrome ... I think I've caught the bug for this style after making the green cards earlier this week :)

Not much to it really. I inked the music note embossed card with the same gold yellow ink pad used to stamp the lovely old gramophone player image. I used Di's tip of drawing round the labels die to create the matting for the image - works a treat :) The sentiment is made using another trick. I've only got one size of the label punch, so after punching out the sentiment, use the same punch on the gold card for matting. Next, cut the label down the centre and then adhere it under the sentiment leaving a small margin showing at each end - looks as though you've matted with a slightly larger punch. Oh dear, I do hope I've explained that well enough :( Let me know if you need further explanation ... I could do it with photos if that would help :)

Materials used: 
square white deckle-edged card base
music note embossed white card - another from Chris's package
smooth white card for stamped topper
gold embossed card for matting
Artemio's Office stamp set
Tim Holtz distress ink, Scattered Straw
Ladybug Craft's It's Only Words 2 stamp set
Tools: Cuttlebug; Spellbinders Labels Nine. Stampin' Up label punch

The second card is quite different.


Apart from the card base, all the materials came out of the snippets, experiments and embellishment leftovers boxes. In fact, it is possible that certain WOYWWers may recognise the paper as it started life as the wrapping around a gift received whilst in Wiltshire! For this reason, I have no idea who the maker is or what the design is called - but it was far too pretty to throw away :)

All the edges of the paper are inked with pink, and the rose has had the ink sponges over it. Looking at the card again, I think perhaps I should have also inked all round the edges of the base card - it would have tied it all together. The jewelled embellishments started off as brads but I snipped of the prongs and used glue gel to fix them in place.

Materials used: 
white deckle-edged square card base
snippet of flowery paper - maker/name unknown
smooth white card embossed with the Stampin' Up Manhattan Flower folder
Colourbox Cat's Eye Chalk Inks, Pink Pastel and Warm Red
dark rose satin ribbon; two sizes of pink gem brads
greeting from Dawn Bibby's Delicate Scroll stamps set
Tools: oval punch; Cuttlebug

I see that Di is giving us an extension of an extra week in which to get our homework in on time! That's great, now that I've got my snippet cards in, I'm off out to play on the swings :)

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend, whatever the weather ... here it is dull and breezy, but warm, so not too bad and perfect for stopping in and crafting :)

Happy crafting,


21 comments:

Victoria said...

Enjoy your extra time on the swings as these two cards are beauties!

Marie-Louise said...

Beaautiful cards Elizabeth. Love the image of the old gramaphone.

Sandra H said...

Wow Elizabeth totally stunning , xx

scrappymo! said...

Two more lovely cards. You have earned an extra break on the swings!

I love to see snippet cards...we all need a little push and some inspiration to get us to raid our snippets stash.

Wiccababe said...

such pretty cards Elizabeth
Debz
xx

May said...

Gorgeous cards Elizabeth, enjoy the swings... Yes I agree the opening ceremony was Fabulous.. they did us proud.. that torch is something else AmAzing a real treat.. Hugs May x x x

debby4000 said...

Love your fabulous cards Elizabeth.
luv
Debby

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

Two lovely makes .. .. I love them both.

The embossed music background is gorgeous and the flowery paper on your second is just perfect for that embossed rose.

Great use of your snippets!!

Hope you have had a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

Anonymous said...

Loving your blog Elizabeth. I especially liked the tip about the sentiment punch, will have to give that a go sometime
Karen xxx

Jackie said...

Two very beautiful card Elizabeth. I wouldn't like to choose a favourite :o)
Jackie xx

Mrs A. said...

Both so very pretty and so so different. Love them both for different reasons. Hugs Mrs A.

Di said...

Two brilliant snippets makes Elizabeth - and a great tip about the die. I think I follow it so will have a play!

Hugs, Di xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wooow, both your cards are so lovely! The monochrome shading looks amazing.

I was away and I missed the opening ceremony :(. But I hope to be able to watch it on iplayer :)
xx

Julia S-W said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm Julia from UKPC. Thought I'd pop over and have a look at your blog. Really wonderful things going on here. Love the two cards from your 'cast off' boxes - they just get fuller and fuller in my case!
I'm your latest follower because I tend to catch peoples work first on their blog (if they have one) rather than through the group.
Lovely to visit with you.
Juliaxx

Darnell said...

Amazing work, Elizabeth, on both your lovely cards!!

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to post something like this on my site and you have given me an idea. Cheers.

Craftychris said...

Both your cards are gorgeous, that gramophone stamp is fabulous. I enjoyed the opening ceremony too. It was sooo cool! xx

Amanda said...

Beautiful cards and love the monochrome look, you are right that floral paper is too pretty to not use. Hugs, Amanda x

Sarn said...

Fantastic snippet makes Elizabeth. xxx

MaryH said...

Loved both of these cards. The gramophone is so 'vintage' (a fav of mine). The rose is beautiful, also. I have that stamp, never thought to use it with the lovely papers like you did. Thanks for the inspiration! And Thanks for Sharing. Happy Sunday.

Hettie said...

Lovely cards there Elizabeth. Well done!
xx