Thursday 26 July 2012

Snowy Park - CHNC Challenge 82


Evening Everyone,

I trust you are all well and I guess many of you are already following the Olympics ... it would be hard to escape the TV coverage as it seems to be on any time I've switched on today.

Because my computer broke down earlier this week, I've been busy in the craft space and have completed a few quick and easy projects. First, this is the card I've made for Hazel's CHNC Challenge 82 ... she asks this week that we make a monochrome project.



I opted to use mainly various tones of one colour with white rather than the black/white option, just for a change.


I inked up the stamp with two shades of green before stamping on white card and then added iridescent glitter. Even though it looks black in the photographs, that is green mirri card that the image is matted onto. The same goes for the ribbon ... it's a lovely deep shade of green. The card really does look better in the flesh, so to speak ... the camera may not lie, but it does fail to show the truth at times :))

Materials list:
Square white card base
Cosmo Cricket DP, Sweater Weather
Cuttlebug Snowflakes embossing folder
Penny Black Snowy Park stamp
Papermania ink cubes in two shades of green
Smooth white card for stamping and embossing , green mirri card for matting, iridescent glitter and glue pen; narrow dark green satin ribbon; white card candi - all from stash


After I completed the card I was sitting staring at the inked up stamp, thinking I should clean all that green ink off, when it occurred to me that I could try a technique I've seen Sheena Douglas demoing - overstamping.

To do this, I spritzed the water over the ink and then stamped it on to white card. Once this had dried and I'd cleaned the stamp, I stamped over the image again but this time with black ink. Here's the result.


Instead of glitter, this time I've used Crystal Stickles to decorate the image. The beautiful embossed card and the die-cut leaf spray came in a fabulous RAK from my Docrafts friend, Chris Lee - many thanks Chris.


Once again, it does look much better in real life ... hopefully you can see the hint of green through the black in this close-up.

Materials list: 
Base card, backing paper, white card and green mirri for topper, stamp, green ink cubes, all as for the first card
White embossed card, Tied Together
Die-cut leaf spray
Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad;
Wide check ribbon, Ribbon Carousel
Crystal Stickles, Papermania green glitter brad and white pearls in three sizes - from stash


The backing paper used in both cards is from a piece leftover from last year, or it could even be the year before that, and the white card for the stamped images was rescued from the oblivion of the snippet drawer, making both cards perfect for submitting it to Di's Snippet Challenge - 30 :) 

There's more to share but I'll save that for tomorrow ... it's late and I should be heading up to bed and the land of nod.

I'm looking forward to watching the Olympics opening ceremony tomorrow, that's for sure. The EM, at 73, says he remembers the last Olympics staged in the UK. He was about 11 years old at the time and had to go to the local cinema to see the filmed highlights ... in black and white! He's dead chuffed to be seeing the Olympics in the UK again, and this time in full colour and high definition :)

Now, I'm really off to bed, The Boss woke me at 5.30 this morning, desperate to be let out ... it's been a long, long day.

Edited Note: Sandra over at Stamping For Pleasure has told me I can enter these cards for her July Rudolph Day challenge, and as I intended to but forgot, I'm submitting them now :)

Goodnight All,

18 comments:

Neesie said...

What a beautiful card Elizabeth...a winter wonderland.
I was on my way to WOYWW post but it just caught my eye.
Oh and The Boss too ^..^ soi cute!

Mrs A. said...

Both beautiful cards but I think that card #2 just has the edge for me. Hugs Mrs A.

scrappymo! said...

So very pretty. I am such a sucker for glitter but hate to clean it up...first it sticks to the rug in my scraproom:( and then it gets in the cracks in my hardwood upstairs as I track it up on my slippers!
I try to do any glittering outside in the garden and let the wind take care of it!

L ve that second card...I will try to remember to use that technique.

Darnell said...

Oh sparkly spangles, I do love ALL these wonderful cards, Elizabeth!!

Marie-Louise said...

Two beautiful cards Elizabeth especially the second one. Just lovely.

Sarn said...

These are both REALLY beautiful cards Elizabeth. I LOVE that stamp! If you'd like to, you could enter these into my Rudolph Day challenge.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Craftychris said...

Both these cards are simply gorgeous - I so love glittery trees xx

Hazel said...

I love both versions and that overstamping has worked so well - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 82 - hope to see you again soon - new challenge tomorrow morning - you might want to keep the ribbon handy! x

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth both cards are really beautiful and the winter scene are creative and nice to see the glitter on the trees which they then become so much wintery with lots of effect! xx

SandeeNC said...

Your cards are beautiful! Love all that sparkle! I'm watching the Olympic's soccer games right now. Looking forward to other sports, but this is a start. lol OK, I admit, I'm not a soccer fan! But it was exciting for Japn to upset Spain earlier, I love pulling for the underdogs! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Victoria said...

Oh this is such a beautiful scene! Absolutely gorgeous stamping!

Sarn said...

YAY . . . thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day again Elizabeth. Good luck in the draw. xxx

coops said...

so stunning elizabeth.i love the scenic stamp and gorgeous colours :D

xx coops xx

Di said...

Wow, two brilliant cards Elizabeth - very clever overstamping on the second one. The glitter is a lovely finishing touch! Di xx

Catie Cuddles said...

Both of these cards are simply stunning! Never tried the over stampin with another colour thing ... Will have to give it a try.
Also the stamp you have used is fantastic. Such a beautiful image and the way you've made up the cards is so elegant.
Very much one of the favourites I have seen this week.
Thanks for joining CHNC 82 and hope to see you again for the tie a ribbon challenge this week.
Catherine xxx

Laura said...

Beautiful cards!
Laura
x

mamapez5 said...

This is a beautiful card for Rudolf day. I love both versions. the overstamping worked well. Kate x

Hettie said...

Beautiful cards there Elizabeth. Lovely stamp and embossing on them.
Hugs xx