Monday 9 July 2012

Mountain Ash - A Snippet Card

Hello Folks

Well, I sat and watched it from beginning to end, on the edge of my seat most of the time ... and wasn't it a dramatic tennis final ... one of the most exciting I've ever watched, and at my age, I've watched a few!!!

Disappointing that Andy didn't pull it off ... and I did feel for him ... but there is always next year.

I made this card for the Pixie's Crafty Snippet Challenge - 28 over at Di's and intended posting it earlier today but, well, see above - I played hooky ... hangs head in shame :( You could say, tennis stopped play :))



When I was printing out the Mo Manning image, Cat's in the Christmas Tree for another card - see previous post - I came across this one of rowan berries, somehow neglected and forgotten. I can't think why because I love rowan trees (mountain ash) and like to have one growing in my garden to ward of witches ... an old Scot's superstition!!!

But then, I have a lot of things that are neglected and forgotten in my stash, be it on my PC, like many a digital stamp, or in the (too) many boxes and drawers in the craft space, like the paper lace I've used to embellish this card. How often do we buy something, use it once, move on to the next project and promptly forget it ... I know I do this a lot and it's a shame.


Materials used:
White deckle-edged base card
Snippets of smooth grey card for base of topper - can't be seen but it's there! ... white card for digital stamping, and  green card for matting - just visible around the stamped image
Papers: Berry Merry 6x6 Christmas Papers by Jennifer Ellory - free from Cardmaking and Papercraft magazine; Prima Madeline Collection, 6x6 stack; Graphic 45 Christmas Emporium - the striped snippet under the paper lace trim and matting the greeting
Tim Holtz DI, Vintage Photo

Stamps: A Passion for Stamps, Mountain Ash; Stampendous, Holiday Messages - candy from Jozart (many thanks, Jo)
Promarkers: olive green, pear green, burnt sienna, ginger, ruby
Embellishments: Polar White Flower Soft. Crystal Stickles, Wild Orchid Crafts' small poinsettias, leaves and red crystal stems, Siesta Craft's Christmas paper lace borders and green ribbon ... all from stash
Tools: punches scalloped and straight-edged circles; straight-edged oval, scalloped edged border


Now that the excitement of the the tennis is all over, normal service (pun  intended) will be resumed in the Worthington household, the floors will be hoovered, the furniture will be dusted and the ironing basket will be bottomed ... life goes on ... until the Olympics and yet more tennis :)) 

Watched Wallender this evening ... my, but that is one awfully dreich (e.g. drizzly, cold, misty and miserable) looking setting - just the place to suffer from SAD, I'd say.

And talking of the weather I'd like to send my sympathies and best wishes for everyone who has been affected by the incessant rain and flooding that is happening in various parts of England and now the east coast of Scotland. The situation is dire and, having had my house flooded many years ago, I know just how destructive water can be ... there's not much more I can say except my heart goes out to all who are affected.

Take care everyone,

13 comments:

Di said...

Fab card - and I love the way you're using up your stash - I'm on a roll doing that too. It's almost criminal to see how many things have been bought and then put aside when a new trend or whatever has come along isn't it - we're all the same though if that helps!

The rowan tree superstition also exists in the North East of England - and it's a lovely tree as well.

Shame about Andy, but he's still young and his day will come with luck - he fought well today.

Eeek, waaay past my bedtime here! Hugs, Di xx

Jackie said...

Believe it or not, I detest tennis and I cringe when Wimbledon fortnight starts, but even I watched it from start to finish LOL.
What a gorgeous, colourful card :o)
Jackie xx

coops said...

so stunning elizabeth.really gorgeous design and fab sparkle.
i never moved why the tennis was on and andy really did play his heart out, i felt for him at the end.

xx coops xx

iluvtojournal said...

Love mountain ash so I really appreciated the beauty of the card. Wonderful colours. It has been a while so I send greetings from Canada. Subscribed to your blog.
hugs May

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth, l don't normally watch tennis because l don't really understand the game other than there will be a winner and it was a real shame Andy didn't get to be just that but like you say there is always next year, your card is just so beautiful love all the embellis and backing papers with lots of detail and great for the snippets challenge enjoy your day:)x

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Your card i lovely. I like the layers and the lace. jenx

Lynne said...

Lovely card, I love the colours you`ve used.
Lynne xxx

Allthingsinky said...

Beautiful Card, Love the colours...

Craftychris said...

Beautiful card! I love the way you have used the lace. Its a shame about the tennis but Andy did so well and it was very moving when he got emotional xx

Victoria said...

This is a real beauty! There are so many pretty details but I think I love the sparkle the most!

Mrs A. said...

Like how you have not only done the front of the card but also the inside and the back too. So often forgotten but just finishes a card off I think. Hugs Mrs A.

Bernie said...

Fabulous Elizabeth! Love just everything about it.
Hugs
Bernie

Sarn said...

Hi Elizabeth. Fabby snippets card. Happy Sunday . . . perhaps we should change it's name to Rainday? xxx