Friday 13 July 2012

Snowman - A Challenge Card

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been a lovely day here in the west of Scotland, I hope it has been as nice for all of you. We made the most of it by going for a drive along the coast.

Which is why I'm so late in sharing this card.


This week, Hazel has chosen snowmen as her CHNC Challenge 80 theme ... I'm not sure that this LOTV character qualifies ... I think that it's not a snowman but a snowbear :)

Like many of you I suspect, I have plenty of 6"x6" paper stacks in my stash, which is all very well if I want to make a card of measuring that size or smaller. However, it's not so good when planning a larger card like this one which measures 7¾" x 5½".

 To overcome this wee disadvantage I added a decorative trim, made up of strips of the DP, down the left side, and I think it worked quite wellespecially as all the papers coordinate beautifully even though I've chosen them from two different stacks.


I recycled the back of one of the cards we received at Christmas to make a base mat for the front of the card ... figuring that, as it isn't going to be seen when the card is completed, it doesn't matter that it's not new card I'm working with.

The sentiment is on one of the design papers, I just punched it out using an oval punch and matted it on to a scalloped oval punched from a contrasting paper. All the edges are distressed with TH's vintage photo.


The double bow ... seam binding spritzed with water and scrunched ... was added separately, using glue gel to stick it down.

Materials used:

- Smooth white card trimmed to measure 7¾" x 11" - scored and folded in half to form the card
- A piece of white card, recycled, measuring 7¾" x 5½" - this is the base mat for front of the card
- Design Papers: Memory Box's Mistletoe 6"x6" paper stack; Paper Cellar's Traditional Christmas 6"x6" paper stack
- Ink pad: Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Vintage Photo
- Lili of the Valley (LOTV) Cute Squares, Christmas Animals - Decorations
- Tools: Oval punches - scalloped and straight edged
- Embellishments (all from stash): Flowersoft, Polar White; White Iridescent Glitter; Ribbon Carousel's white bobble trim; Wild Orchid Craft's seam binding, Camel Hair, red button (Dovecraft), red pearls (Kanban) gold cord (Meiflower)


I've completed the first ATC using the inky messes I made earlier this week - scroll down to the WOYWW post to see what I'm talking about. I'll do a post sometime tomorrow to let you see how it came out.

I'll also be back tomorrow with some fabulous photos of today's outing - we did visit somewhere pretty amazing!

It's late and I'm off to bed now. In the meantime, I hope you are all well and I wish you a lovely day tomorrow.

Happy crafting,


12 comments:

Di said...

Fabulous card Elizabeth! Love every bit of the detail (am sure the bear will be counted as a snowman, it'll make Hazel smile). And thanks for the tips re. using 6" square papers so well on bigger cards - I have tons of 6" square papers and just love how you've used yours.

Off to bed - day out tomorrow :) Hugs, Di xx

scrappymo! said...

Someone will be delighted to receive this Christmas card. I don't think it matter that your snowmen are actually snowbears.
In Canada we actually still have a lot of bears. We see them when we go up to the lake and a couple of years ago we had one at the school grounds just a couple of blocks from my house. It was 2 different bears on 2 different occasions.

Bernie said...

Oh Elizabeth that is the sweetest snow creature I've ever seen. Such a lovely card.
Hugs
Bernie

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Beautiful card Elizabeth happy crafting Ginny ♥

debby4000 said...

Love your fabulous cute card.
luv
Debby

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Gorgeous work. I love the pom pom trim. Great layering. jenx

Victoria said...

Clever use of paper and I love the pom pom trim across the bottom as well. I'm sure the snow bear will pass! Happy crafting!

Rita said...

Love your card Elizabeth. It certainly says Christmas to me. Love the pom-pom too. Hugs Ritaxx

Hazel said...

Di's right - it did make me smile - a snow bear is fine and what a delightful card - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 80 - hope to see you again soon. x

Sandra H said...

So beautiful is your card Elizabeth, the image is stunning and l just love the layout and the embellis purly gorgeous:)x

coops said...

so gorgeous elizabeth.fab design and the image is adorable :D

xx coops xx

Catie Cuddles said...

Your snow bear well and truly qualifies. What a cute image and you did a lovely job with the card.
Thanks for joining CHCC challenge 80. Looking forward to seeing what you might come up with for challenge 81
Catherine xxx