Wednesday 24 August 2011

WOYWW - Week 116 - Planning Layouts

Hello Everyone,

And a very happy WOYW Wednesday to you all ... why am I so cheery, you may wonder. Well, it's simply that the sun is shining ... and after the dull days we've had recently that's refreshing and cheering :)


So here's my desk this morning ... revealing that I'm in the throes of planning. I've just completed the last birthday card for August, phew!, but I have a busy September coming up - three birthday's all on the same day - the 16th ... DH will be 73, a close friend will be 70 and my lovely Uncle Emrys will be 80, all on the same day!!! And, the craft retreat I'm going to also starts on 16th ... I couldn't have planned it worse if I'd tried :) And, on top of that, I'm determined to get some more 8"x8" layouts done for Granny Ann's album ... it's going to be her Christmas present, even if it kills me :) And that is why I'm planning ... I need to, to stay sane! And I thought being retired would be a time to relax and put my feet up ... and boring, and dull ... :)

So, there's a bunch of photos, including one of my old family photographs of my great-grandparents, which I'd like to use in a layout for my heritage album ... hopefully sometime soon. The ones at the front are lying on top of a scrapbook layout planner page (designed by Wendy Teeter of The Vintage Mint) that I'm trialing, and the paper pack I intend using for this layout ... might make my scrapbooking a bit easier and more organised.

To the right is a plastic sleeve containing the materials for the next Christmas/snippet card and to the right is my box of A4 paper. Going through it, looking for suitable paper for the 8"x8" layouts, I realised that all the paper came free with magazines. There isn't a piece I've bought myself. I don't buy A4 paper ... A4 card, yes, but not paper. I do buy tons of 12"x12" - can't resist it, all those yummy designs and gorgeous colours ... such a useful size that lends itself well to scrapping and cardmaking ... you can make an 8"x8" layout and a couple of cards, or four 6"x6" cards/mini album layouts, all from one page costing anything from 50p to just over a £1 depending on how special it is. I have also bought quite a lot of those dinky little stacks that measure anything from 6"x6" to 8"x8" because they are perfect for cardmaking. But A4 sized DP just doesn't do it for me ... I think of it as wasteful with a lot of leftover waste to add to the ever-growing snippet mountain!

What do others think about A4 size DP, do you share my views or do you just love it? I'd be interested to read other's views on the subject.

Okay, I'm hoping I'm a bit earlier this week, and I'm also hoping to do as well as I did last week and get round a lot of desks ... when I'm not planning, that is :) For anyone who isn't aware of what WOYWW is all about, where have you been??? It's the morning we all reveal the state of our workspace, be it desk, kitchen/dining table, lap trays in front of the TV, or even, in one notable case, the floor, to the Head Desk Inspector, Julia's place.  And you can join in too ... just pop over to here, Stamping Ground, and add your blog to the links ... go on, it's fun and you'll enjoy it :)

Hope you are all keeping well and enjoying life wherever you are. For those of you who are not so well, I hope your health improves over the coming week. Thank you to all who take the time to comment ... knowing the busy life we all have, it's really appreciated.

Edited Note: Responding to Elizabeth's comment and for the benefit of crafters in the US, and perhaps other countries outwith the UK, A4 paper measures 11.5" x 8.25" - silly of me not to realise that many of you wouldn't know what this equated too in your country ... abject apologies and bows head in shame :(
Happy Crafting All,

20 comments:

okienurse said...

what a busy and organized desk! I need to buy some of those plastic envelopes to put projects in so everything stays together. Have a great week and thanks for sharing. Vickie

Karen said...

Wow how organised are you! I'm waiting to see some of your new pages when they're done. Enjoy WOYWW!

Neet said...

It is surprising how busy one can be when retired - bring true the saying about wondering how you found time to do things when you were working. There are some lovely things on your desk - thanks for sharing. Hugs, Neet #2

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Woohoo for sunshine, as you seem to have had far more than your fair share of rain this 'summer'!! I like the pretty pastel papers on the left of shot, nice combination of colours. I'm having a break from paid work (!) for a few months and haven't had time to think. Blimey, it's been busy. Going to have to go back to work for a rest..... :D xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Yes Elizabeth totally with you on A4 DP, in fact I prefer 12x12 all around in plain and DP. However I do own a lot of A4 plain coloured paper as it is cheaper to buy it that way and console myself with that thought. I tend to put my DP scraps back in files with original whole pieces from that selection and only have plain paper in my scraps box, as use it more that way. Happy scrapping and cardmaking and happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz.x

Helen said...

You are very organised. If I make cards ahead I put them to one side and then - come the day - do another one....

Di said...

I also am with you Elizabeth on A4 DP! I often use plastic sleeves too for keeping the bits for one project together. AND, I left you a comment about your yummy meatloaf recipe - fabulous! More recipes please as well as your lovely crafting. Di xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was not around last week, but I had to stop to see what was cooking on your desk today. To be honest, I have NO IDEA, being from the States, what A4 size paper is. But if you make cards here in the US, it's mostly 1/2 a piece of printer paper (size 8.5" X 5.5") folded in half. Square cards are nice, but don't work well in the states. The post office charges extra for square, so most US crafters (cardmakers) don't even think of making them. However, I notice you gals across the pond tend to work with squares. So I say what works best is what you should buy. Of course, I can always use freebies, regardless of the size! Happy WOYWW.

Spyder said...

ohoo It's my daughter's birthday on the 16th, better hurry as it has to go over to the USA, was over earlier but couldn't see pictures and still can't, mean old blogger! but it sounds very busy!!
(Lyn)
Happy WOYWW

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I've found "retirement" can become rather hectic, also! Part of the problem is I'm slower than I use to be, sometimes....maybe, I need to allow for it! I love being busy and wouldn't have it any other way. Looks like you are accomplishing great things and making memorable gifts. Thanks for stopping by today.

Spyder said...

yay!! Popped back and guess what !?! I can see the picture, well worth the extra visit. I do love that little chest of draws...I know I've said that umpteen times but it is nice!!
(Lyn)

Bernie said...

Wow you are organized. Such lovely papers. You are so lucky, I've never seen a photo of my great grandparents or my grandfather and only one of my grandmother.
Your reasons for using the size paper you do makes perfect sense. Sizes are different across the pond. I don't scrapbook and most of my cards are 4.25 x 5.5 so most of my paper is 8.5 X 11 inches although I do have some 12 X 12. I must admit I buy what's on sale and make it work.
Blessings Bernie

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Hi Elizabeth! I love it when people are cheerful. :) Great shot of the desk. Good luck with your projects. And for the A4 paper when I used to buy it I bought all sorts of sizes if I liked the pattern. The size didn't really matter to me.:)

ScrappnBee said...

I use my A4 paper almost exclusively for card bases, journalling blocks (it can run through the printer), and stamping images. I buy black to mat photos, only because it is MUCH cheaper than 12x12 and I end up with waste either way. Good luck with the birthdaypalooza (and escaping to crop!) Thanks for sharing your WOYWW (sorry I am late) -Amanda

Franka Benjaminsen said...

Yes.... those birthday cards. Every year I promise myself to make a few in advance. Most of our birthdays are in the second part of the year. I have a birthday next Sunday, but no inspiration. Hope my stock (is that the right word?) helps me out. Good luck with your cards and hopefully you show them to us.
xFranka

Angie said...

Cant wait to see the LO you create using your heritage photo. I only buy A4 card sometimes ...cant think if I ever buy the paper ...except printer paper ...now you have got me thinking lol

Sue from Oregon said...

You are busy! I do prefer A4 size cardstock and 12 x12 DP or small DP booklets for cards. The design is smaller! Happy WOYWW!

Twiglet said...

Glad you have had a bit of sunshine - today was a typical Autumn misty moisty morning here and its only August!!

Caro said...

Wow, you are so organised! I am very impressed...I also agree with you on the A4 paper..all mine is free with magazines...I only by 12x12, but then I am a 12x12 scrapper at heart!

hollybeary creations said...

Thanks for popping by my desk last week Elizabeth.. Sorry I'm just now getting around. We lost our internet with the Hurricane and still don't have anything yet.

You have a great tidy desk, Looks like you are an organized crafter. I always try to be but it never goes well..lol Sounds like your busy too, lots of Birthdays and celebrations coming up. I bet you'll make some great projects though. Be sure to give us a peek at your album once you have it complete.