Friday 26 August 2011

For a Birthday on Christmas Day

Hello Everyone

This week's challenge for Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge is to make a card for a Christmas Birthday. So, this card could be for a Christmas Day birthday, but it could just as easily be a Christmas card ... I don't actually know anyone with a Christmas birthday :)


I've made the card entirely from scraps with the exception of the Magnolia Tilda topper ... another stamp that I had coloured some time ago,  putting it away hoping I'd find a use for it eventually!  The base is Stampin' Up's Crumb Cake and the matting is Baja Breeze. The red scalloped square was a leftover piece from a longer strip ... when I used half on an earlier project, cutting had left one straight edge so I just traced and cut around the scallops to create a matching edge to finish it off. The dotty Fancy Pants paper was more leftover DP from this Easter scrapbook layout made recently. The edges of both toppers are distressed with TH's Pumice Stone DI and the Magnolia topper is edged with gold glitter ... her hat and apron are edged with iridescent glitter ... she looks ready to party. The flowers are Prima Essentials Shabby Chic, been in stash forever, and I made flower centre with a LOTV stamp - stamped with black Stazon on Baja Breeze card.  The stamp simply says Christmas Day, 25th Dec ... suitable, I think, for either a birthday or Christmas.


The inside is just decorated with matted strips of the DP ... there wasn't much left so I just measured the DP out and divided into three equal strips, did the same with the card, and inked up the edges to match the front before sticking in place. Otherwise, I've left the inside blank ... a suitable sentiment can be added later.


The third strip went on the back - I don't like to leave the back blank.

I always think that this Tilda looks as though she is not sure whether she has turned up to the right party on the right day or not ... in fact, she looks a bit wistful ... maybe she didn't receive an invitation but she's come along in the hope that someone will invite her to join in the fun : )

I'll be submitting this card to Hazel's Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge, #34, - Christmas Birthday/Anything Goes

And, because I've used up yet more snippets, to Always With a Heart's  Jules Crafty Snippet Challenge #33

Hope you all have a great weekend. It's and English Bank Holiday weekend so I hope the weather cheers up and stays bright and dry for you all down there ... though that could be hoping for rather too much for a Bank Holiday!

Happy crafting too,


9 comments:

Hazel said...

Awww Tilda does look a bit wistful, but all the same she's beautifully ready for the party - this is a fab card - love the fact it's decorated inside and on the back too. Thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 34 - look forward to seeing you for the new challenge that goes live in the morning. x

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth .. .. I am getting worried that you are running out of snippets!!! You had better make some more so you can keep sharing your gorgeous snippet makes.

This one is beautiful on the front, back and inside!! Perhaps that is where I am going wrong and I need to stop just decorating the front LOL!!!

Thank you for sharing your lovely snippet make.

Love Jules xx

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card, I love the way you ad a strip to the back :o)
Jackie

Di said...

Wow Elizabeth! Gorgeous card and just right for either Christmas or a Christmas Day birthday - a clever choice of the sentiment on your part :) Love the image - aw, I hope she did get an invitation - and love the fact that you decorated more than just the front. Di xx

coops said...

gorgeous card elizabeth.i love the sweet tilda and your papers and colours are stunning ;D

xx coops xx

Carrie said...

Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much for popping by my blog and for your lovely comment. I am so, so behind on keeping up with people and playing in blog land as the kids are on school break at the moment for 6 weeks. I am hoping that when they get back I can get myself back to normal. I love how you have coloured Tilda here, she is such a lovely little character and I have recently had a little colouring session with her myself. I hope you are keeping well and managing to get out into the garden with all this lovely weather we have been having lately.
Love
Carrie

Debs M said...

what a gorgeous card, great use of snippets!

Sally said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanx for visiting my blog & leaving a lovely comment. I just love what you do with your cards, the insides & envelopes, so much work! Me, I'm too lazy. lol. Smashing snippet makes as well.
Sally x

Vicky Hayes said...

I love how Christmassy this looks Elizabeth and all your lovely details like the glitter border and the DP strips inside and even on the back. Vx