Monday 15 August 2011

Highland Fling - a New Year Card

Evening All,

Hope you've all had a lovely day - the sun ventured out here for a few hours, long enough to get the washing dried, but it doesn't look at all promising for tomorrow.


This wee card is made from leftover card and paper from the scrapbook layout I made yesterday - see here. Thought that rather than tidy up and add to my snippet collection I'd use up the bits and pieces now -  today ...  The stamped image, Nellie Sugar's Dancing Maggie,  was one I had stashed away - already coloured too - and wasn't it lucky her kilt, coloured with ProMarkers, is just the right colour to match those papers. The base, a ready made 5" square, also found stashed away, is covered in a remnant of red card, stamped with the shooting stars, Fiskars New Year stamp set, in VersaMark and embossed with Stampendous midnight  black EP. The strips of polka dotted papers, Pink Paislee Twilight Collection and Papermania Reindeer/Polka Dot,  apart from being pretty, hide the fact that the red card wasn't quite wide enough to cover the base. The greeting came from the Fiskars stamp set too, embossed black on red card and matted onto black card. I raided my stash again for the gingham ribbon which I threaded through the spine of the card before tying in a knot.


Inside is decorated with  the last strip of the black DP and with shooting stars. These are the waste from the punch outs from an X-cut punch - and they just have to be the smallest snippets I have ever used!

When I was younger it was the tradition to send New Year cards to family living far away, often overseas. But this tradition seems to have fallen out of fashion, but I thought I'd make some this year and revive the tradition. We have family and friends in England, Australia, Canada and the US ... I'm sure one of them will be pleased to receive this little highland lassie :)

I'll be entering this card into Jules' Sunday Snippet Challenge. Week 32.

Happy crafting,




9 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

Oh wow!! What beautiful snippets .. .. and I agree with you .. your image was just the perfect colour. Fancy it just sitting there waiting to be used!!

How nice to be resurrecting such a lovely tradition.

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous snippet makes again this week.

Love Jules xx

Jackie said...

Gorgeous card, what a great way to use
snippets :o)
Jackie xx

coops said...

gorgeous card elizabeth.i love the striking colour combo and papers and fab image ;D

xx coops xx

Irene said...

Hello Elizabeth

A stunning New Year card with gorgeous vibrant colours and an adorable image. I love her little kilt.

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog.

irene
xxxx

Di said...

So cute Elizabeth! The best New Year celebrations I've had were in Scotland - it's a bit of a non-event down here :( Di xx

Debs M said...

gorgeous snippet card! x

Sarn said...

Very cute card. Love the way you've decorated the inside too.

Hugs, Sandra

Sarah said...

A great card I love the way it's decorated inside too.

Hettie said...

This is beautiful. I would love the stamp so off to see if I can find it! I just saw "Highland Fling" in your sidebar so had to have a nose!! Glad I did as she is gorgeous.