Friday 23 March 2012

Foodie Friday - Panaggy

Good Morning Folks

It's a wee while since I did a Foodie Friday but I thought this recipe was too good to keep to myself.


This delicious dish, Panaggy, is a north of England delicacy. Apparently, it's a variation of Panaculty which is thought to originate in Ireland but it is also very like the version of  Stovies made by my Scottish mother. It's essentially a form of corned beef hash, but, like Stovies, originally was a way of using up any left over meat from the Sunday roast and served the next day. However, during and just after World War Two, when meat was rationed and scarce, the left over roast was replaced by tinned corned beef and, more recently, with the addition of bacon.

 
I cook it in my trusty slow cooker but it could just as easily be cooked in a casserole dish in the oven.

Ingredients:
  • 6 rashers of bacon
  • 1 small onion peeled and thinly sliced 
  • 1 tin of corned beef, sliced
  • 6 medium sized potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
For the gravy:
  • 4 heaped teaspoons of beef gravy granules
  • 1 beef (Oxo) cube
  • ¼ pint of boiled water
  • Black pepper to season

Method:
  • Starting with the bacon layer the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker, aim for at least two layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes on top.
  • Combine the ingredients for the gravy in a jug, then pour over the meat and vegetable layers.
  • Sprinkle ground pepper over the top.
  • Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 4 - 6 hours.

You can serve it with a vegetable such as cabbage, broccoli, carrots or peas, if liked. Peas are not my favourite vegetable, the EM loves them, I prefer to eat them fresh from the pod but can just about tolerate frozen petit pois as seen in the photograph.

Originally the bacon of choice was streaky, cheap and cheerful, but I'm a profligate spendthrift and use unsmoked back rashers. However, after the Chancellor's budgetary freezing of my personal allowance, I may have to review this extravagance :( 

After a day out, this is a great dish to come home to - no fuss, just plate up and enjoy :)  

I'd like to thank everyone who sent there get well wishes for my grandchildren and great-granddaughter. Little Alun is much better now and back at school. Shari-Ann and Rhian are improving daily and are definitely over the worst.

And thanks, too, to everyone who sent their good wishes whilst I underwent the ordeal at the dentist. I have to admit the root canal treatment went rather better than I anticipated. Mr A, the dentist, is a very kind and gentle man, who certainly knows his stuff, though he did insist on explaining every gory detail of the procedure throughout the entire hour it took.  However, I needn't have worried about the pain from having a needle in my gum because he had a magical potion that he rubbed on it first numbing it enough to make it almost painless. Unfortunately, my right foot went into spasm about half way through ... the agony of that certainly distracted me from what Mr A was doing to my tooth. Hopefully, I will never have to go through the ordeal again, but if I do I won't be quite so anxious ... well, maybe a little bit. 

That said, I wish you all a great weekend ... hopefully the weather will be fair for you wherever you are and you will be able to get out and enjoy it. This weekend the clocks go forward and we will be well and truly into spring so we plan to make the most of it and have planned a trip out on Sunday. 

In the meantime, Happy Crafty and Happy Eating, 


7 comments:

Di said...

Hi Elizabeth. Pleased to hear the dentist went well - bet you flew out of the surgery like a greyhound from the traps! :)

Love today's recipe and great minds think alike - look at this from last September:
http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/friday-feast-peggys-pan-haggerty.html

We do love the same food don't we?! Right, off to look at Hnady Hippo Thursday now! Have a super day!

Di
xx

pickle said...

OOH Nom ....that is soooo making my mouth water !

Kerry x

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth wow you have made my mouth water here, nust try these. Have a good weekend Hugs Elaine

Unknown said...

Meant to say , but clicked too soon .....you made me smile with that bit about your right foot going into spasm I could just imagine it . Hugs Elaine

Create With Joy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth - I sure hope you are feeling better after your root canal!

Your dish sounds and looks DELICIOUS! I especially loved reading about the history of it! This - along with that beautiful Caged Bird Tag in your previous post - would make wonderful shares at this week's Inspire Me Monday! :-)

Ramona

Di said...

Di here again Elizabeth. I'm so with you on the Tim Holtz stamps giveaway - I must have been having a totally mad moment when I bought the things, quite a while ago now.Have a super weekend too! Di xx

Angie said...

My mouth was watering reading the recipe.... love economy meals.
Glad to hear everyone is on the mend ...hugs xx