Wednesday 26 January 2022

What's On Your Workdesk - Week 660

Hello Everyone,

My, but these Wednesday's do seem to come round faster then ever these days. A sign, I suppose, that I've had a busy week, but I'm blessed if I can recall what I was so busy doing! 

Anyway, it's time to share what's on my desk and link over on the Stamping Ground where Julia, as ever, is hosting WOYWW again today. 

There's not a lot to say about what you can see this week. There's another scrap layout in the planning. This one is based on the half and half formula and I'm planning to use the cutfile for the title ... once, that is, it's been decided how to treat it. I'm not sure whether to back it with another patterned paper or simply colour the letters to make them stand out. Decisions, decisions. 

What was on my desk.

When I was bragging about all the lovely crafty goodies I'd spent birthday/Christmas money on, I forgot that this fuse tool was still to come. Often seen on YouTube demos being used to create shaker pockets, the fuse tool looked one that I could use for attaching extra photos to a page. I can feel some experimenting coming on. And that's the February edition of my favourite magazine arrived already. It's a struggle to keep it until February before reading it.

The kitten bit.
Silver's undecided. Should she stay in and eat dinner or should she go out to play with the neighbour's cat, Harper, for a while. Decisions, decisions. She opted this time to stay and eat. 

The book bit.
If you've been following this blog for a few years you may recall me mentioning at sometime that I was, when young, a member of the Women's Royal Army Corp. What I might not have mentioned was that I opted to work in the Intelligence Corps which led to my being  attached to the Signals Corps. And that is a rather long-winded way of explaining my interest in the highly secret work at Bletchley Park during the WWII, and it also explains why I chose this book by Margaret Dickinson, 'Secrets at Bletchley Park'. The book, although a good read, is not what I expected from the title, mainly because about two-thirds of it take place before the war and before Bletchley Park. That said, I enjoyed the stories of two highly intelligent girls, Mattie and Victoria, from very different and difficult backgrounds but who are eventually thrown together as adults in a job they could never have foreseen for themselves. There's a lot of emphasis throughout of keeping secrets, perhaps a little too much, but I had hoped there would, all these years later, be more of the work that went on at Bletchley Park. So, I'd say good story but not what I was expecting. 

The funny bit.

I'm absolutely sure that that Silver attended that class and learned the lesson well!

That's it from me today. I am off to see to the soup that's bubbling away in the slow cooker. Today it's cauliflower cheese soup. Never tried it before but I've become quite adventurous with my food in my old age! 

I hope you've had a wonderful WOYWW and that you will have a fabulous week ahead.

Take care and stay safe.

11 comments:

Crafting With Jack said...

Great funnies! Haven’t heard of that magazine, so of course, I checked it out and have subscribed to the newsletter. I couldn’t see a price for the magazine which was annoying. I put “Glimpse” as the title first of all, it is a magazine for North India. So I tried “The Simple things” Tattie Scones sound nice! Happy WOYWW Angela #2

Annie said...

Love the funnies and that soup sounds really yummy. I didn’t recognise Silver in the photo...she looks really dark from above.
Hugs,
Annie x #9

Julia Dunnit said...

Sounds like my kind of soup! MeBart doesn’t like cauliflower so when I find it on a menu I always have it…and it doesn’t have to be cheesy. Although I do like it raw with a blue cheese dressing. Mmm. That’s me digressing! Lovely lovely pics of Silver for that LO..I like the look of the backed alphas, but they do take some time, huh. I scored a good price on a fuse tool and gave it to one of scrapbooking Coven as a secret Santa a couple of years ago. She was delighted but at our most recent and first for ages crop, she said she’d barely used it, so couldn’t give me a review….so I shall wait for your opinion!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Bet that soup was delicious! Great to see what you’ve been up to and your purchases too, hope you have fun experimenting! The funnies made me laugh and, if it’s any consolation, I can’t r3member what I did over the past week either!
Hugs LLJ 11 xx

glitterandglue said...

Evening Elizabeth. Oh my - more pages being worked on. You do a lot of scrapbook pages, and they are lovely. Well done. The magazine looks great - and I confess I never have heard of that tool... will have to look it up.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #7

Helen said...

great layout you're working on. You learn something new about deskers every day - glad you enjoyed the book even if it wasn't quite what the title suggests! Have a good week, and I hope the soup was good. Helen #4

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, another late one for me but really wanted to get round. Really needed to do the visits as I have to take the dogs to the vets tomorrow. Loving the funnies and the layout too. Sending woyww hugs, Angela x16x

Sarah Brennan said...

Laughed out loud at the second funny Elizabeth. Silver is as cute as ever too. Have fun with your new fuse tool. Stay safe and Happy WOWYW. Sarah #5

Spyder said...

Yep that's just what Mr Jinx does! walks round and round so no one can get dinner ready! Missing him tonight, as he had to stay over night at the vets, Stay safe, keep on Crafting. Happy WOYWW!? #1

Susan Renshaw said...

What a lovely read ! I enjoyed every bit!
Happy WOYWW!
Susan #8

Twiglet said...

Yum - cauli/cheese soup is one of our favourites - especially stirring a bit of stilton in at the end - with crust wholemeal roll!! I loved the funnies - especially the embellishing one - we are good at that! xx Jo