Friday 31 October 2014

Friday Smiles - Week 91

Morning Folks

Friday again! Where do the days go??? I seem to spend most of my time chasing my tail so it is just as well Annie's Friday Smiles gives me the opportunity to sit, take stock and decide what, of all the things that made me smile throughout the last seven days, to share with you today.
Not such a difficult decision after all. This is my daughter, Juli, showing her first big quilting project, a bed runner, and rightly proud of it she is too :) She bought the fabric at the Hobbycraft Fare in Glasgow last week so it has taken her just the seven days to get to this stage ... only a bit of hand-stitching of the edge binding to do and it's done!
All the patches were cut out by hand using a cardboard template and then machine stitched. To quilt it, Juli used the stitch-in-the-ditch method. I should have asked her how many squares there are but I was so busy admiring her work I forgot. Juli is a novice at the sewing machine so this is a major achievement indeed ... and definitely smile-worthy!


If you have something to smile about and you'd like to share it, do pop over to A Stitch In Time and link your post there. I'm sure Annie will be delighted to see you.

Wishing you a day with plenty to make you smile :)

11 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Elizabeth I'm not surprised you're smiling....I am too. What a wonderful achievement and so quickly too.
Hugs,
Annie x

Marie-Louise said...

Absolutely fantastic Elizabeth. You must be very proud of her. It really is gorgeous.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Reasons to smile and be proud. She made a very pretty little treasure. Enjoy

Jenny L said...

Hi Elizabeth,
what a very clever and dedicated lady to achieve such a very lovely quilt on her first attempt.
I do admire anyone that can quilt.
I have pinched your smile badge for my blog, and I hope you don't mind.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Jean said...

The quilt is gorgeous Elizabeth, well done to your daughter. I love the fabrics she has used.
Jean x

Robyn Oliver said...

Happy Friday Smiles Elizabeth and fabulous effort for Juli - her quilt is lovely and done so quickly wow....hope she enjoyed making it and will keep quilting. Cheers and have a lovely weekend, Robyn

fairy thoughts said...

Wow only seven days .... She'll be on the sewing bee next ... Amazing no wonder you are both smiling
Janet I'll show my sewing next week ... Not going well

Judys Lace Creations said...

Well done on your daughter's first ever quilt.

Has your Juli seen the Raggy Quilts? They/it could be a great next project.Even quicker to make up and there are some excellent tutorials on You Tube.I am no quilter but I've made 2 bed quilts, and 5 lap quilts in the "raggy" style.My cat adores hers!!She3 only has to spot it and she wants to snuggle under it.So cute,
Judy x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

What a clever daughter indeed such diligence to achieve that in a week! A real Smiler that one :)
Shaz in Oz.x

Carole Pollard said...

So beautiful love the colours. She's so talented Love and hugs Carole x

Sandra H said...

This Elizabeth is so beautiful and the colours are gorgeous x