Friday 17 October 2014

Friday Smiles - Week 89

Afternoon Everyone,

Well, that's the house spotless ready for the weekend ... and I'm bushed! It's so exhausting doing the domestic goddess thing! Time for a bit of R&R and taking a moment or two to join in with Annie over at A Stitch In Time and share just a bit of what has made me smile this week. Warning: a photo heavy post follows.

An important piece of advice passed on to scrapbookers like myself goes along these lines: 'to be able to record memories, you must first live life'. Bearing these wise words in mind, the EM and I decided to take a day off on Tuesday and head down to one of our favourite places, Culzean Castle Country Estate. Here are just a few of my favourite photos from the day.

This is the entrance to the courtyard at Culzean Castle.
The EM taking a break up on the courtyard wall which looks down from the cliff top on to the Clyde Estuary ... I remember the first time I looked down at the water lapping below, some 40 years ago, I was so impressed with how clear and clean it was given that ships and boats tootle to and from the Glasgow ports all day long. That's the Isle of Arran just visible behind himself's head.
Not the castle, but what must be the grandest coach house and stables in the county. No longer used as such, instead some of it has been converted into holiday apartments, there's a gift shop and a coffee shop at the back.


We always walk through the gardens on our way back to the car park - here's a few photos taken there. I don't know how I've missed it till now but I spotted this Ginkgo Biloba, aka the Maidenhair Tree. If I was a tree-hugger, this is the one I'd choose to hug :)
These hydrangeas in their autumn colours, together with the stiff spike of acanthus, aka Bears Breeches, look perfect against the warm garden wall.

One of the huge heads in close-up - stunning!

Our walk back to the car took us by way of the secondhand book shop. We stopped to donate a few books and, of course, help funds by purchasing a couple more.
The trees are looking spectacular.
After all that walking it was time for a bowl of soup and a cuppa in the restaurant before making for home again. On the menu, carrot, honey and ginger soup ... warmed us up a treat.



It's safe to say, I've plenty of lovely memories of Tuesday to record in my scrap book now after following that sage advice about living life to record it :)

And finally, as our newsreaders used to say, some of you will have seen this already on Facebook but for those who have not here is my favourite funny of the week.


I can only imagine the patience it must have taken to get that little kitty to sit just so for the camera :)

I'll leave you with my hope that you have had a fabulous Friday and a wish that you will have a wonderful weekend.

13 comments:

Annie said...

Fab photos of what looks like a very special day spent together....here's to many more like that.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful trip, Elizabeth. I was surprised those trees have turned already. Not so in my part of the world. And I was also surprised at your attire. You look all bundled up. It's so warm here, I'm still wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts.

I sure smiled when I saw these photos, though. And I think Bleubeard got a laugh out of the last photo. OK, maybe I'm just thinking he was laughing. Either way, have a great Friday and weekend.

okienurse said...

awesome visit pictures. I would love to go there and have put it on my bucket list. I stayed a week in Scotland a few years ago and really enjoyed the west coast. Oban was a favorite! Thanks for sharing. Vickie

Liz said...

Lovely photos of a relaxing day. xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wonderful images, Elizabeth, fascinated by the Ginkgo Biloba tree!! never seen one before, had heard of them.

... the pickies also reminded me of my trip to Nth Ireland with you eating soup, as we did some of that there!!
Oh, and rather think I had that particular flavour too in Scotland at Balmoral when there with my friends ..so must be a Scottish thing?

re "twinnigans" in Oz we are dreadful for corruptions or amending words and rather think it might be one of those or not? who knows?? :D Shaz in Oz.x
PS not sure in my long rambling comment on post above whether I said anything about "yes, please" for the candy :D

Jackie said...

A superb set of photographs Elizabeth, love that little kitten sitting on the shelf :o)
Jackie xx

Anne said...

What a lovely day you had Elizabeth. Lots of lovely photos and happy memories. X

Carole Pollard said...

Lovely post such great photos and a very interesting place to visit books,views and a teashop perfect love and hugs Carole x

Robyn Oliver said...

Great photos and what a lovely place to visit, Elizabeth. Late happy Friday Smiles and enjoy your week Cheers Robyn

KT Fit Kitty said...

Beautiful photos! Very pretty flowers! Looks like a good time was had by all! Love the kitties at the end - so cute!

Cathy said...

Lovely pics Elizabeth and sage advice, it's so easy to get caught up in the routine things we have to do! Mind you, if I had somewhere as lovely as this to visit I think I'd be there a lot and the routine things would be sadly neglected lol! Cathy x

Kate said...

Funny cats, you can't beat them!
Kate

mamapez5 said...

That look´s a lovely place and soup sound delicious! I used to have acanthus in my UK garden but I have never heard it called Bears Breeches before. The hydrangeas are beautiful. So glad you had a lovely day out, and one well worth recording.
The black cats are precious - quite a triumph for the photographer!
Kate x