Friday 21 December 2012

Foodie Friday - Farmhouse Sausage and Potato Supper

Hi Everyone,

I have a recipe to share today that is easy to put together, just a bit of chopping in the preparation, and can be left to cook itself whilst you relax with a glass of something refreshing. Posted by 1st Man on the Two Men and a Little Farm blog, it looked tasty and worth trying, and a supper dish that could make a very nice change from all those turkey dinners! The amount of ingredients 1st Man has listed is enough to serve four people - very hungry people, I'd say ... so I have adjusted the amounts to serve two.


Ingredients for my version - check out the Two Men's blog if you are feeding more than two.
  • 8oz sausage (your favourite), chopped - I used  bratwurst
  • 1lb 8oz potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces 
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme 
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper, chopped  - original recipe calls for a green pepper but I didn't have one in the fridge
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 TBSP chopped parsley 
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  • In a large oven-proof dish or roasting tin, combine the sausage, potatoes, thyme and olive oil until well coated.
  • Add peppers, onions, parsley, salt and pepper and stir through again to ensure everything is well coated with the oil.
  • Place in oven, at 450 degrees, and roast, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are baked through and there's a nice golden colour on both the potatoes and sausage. 


Remove from the oven and serve. 


Delicious! Two Men suggest corn bread as an accompaniment ... crusty farmhouse bread would be equally good. This made a very substantial supper despite reducing the ingredients, in fact, we had quite a bit leftover ... and that was after the EM went back for seconds :))

We have a busy weekend ahead. We'll be out visiting lots of family, exchanging cards and presents, and no doubt drinking many cups of tea and eating more mince pies than is good for us. 

We'll be catching up with Arihanna who will be one year old on Christmas Eve. Apparently she is walking by hanging on to the furniture now and starting to get into a lot of mischief. Her granny, my sister Margaret, had to be taken to hospital this week after she fell and gashed her arm on her wheelchair ... Arihanna had removed a rubber cap from the brake and unfortunately that's what Margaret fell down on to ... the gash took eight stitches. 

I wonder what your weekend is going to be like ... are you going to be doing similar and visiting everyone, or will your family and friends be popping in to visit you. Whatever you're doing, I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 

Take care and enjoy yourself whatever you are doing.




9 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Dentist today for both of us and we will try to follow your advice and enjoyit!!! teehee
The new bridge to get there has huge icicles crashing down on the cards, breaking windshields, caving in roofs and hitting the people who were silly enough to get out of their cars. The contractor decided to save money and not heat the steel overhead cables! I think it is still closed till they decide what to do about it.

We are taking a huge detour to the other newish bridge which apparently is on occasion doing the same thing in a lesser way...smaller ice chunks I think!

Apart from that, we are planning a nice lunch date out afterwards and maybe a leisurely coffee. Then it is home to mop the floors as DH's sister is coming for coffee tonight or tomorrow night.
Your stew looks and sounds good and healthy. I will give it a go and maybe use Kielbassa sausage!

Merry Christmas!

Cass said...

Yum - can I come for dinner? Some of my family is visiting us, so I will be enjoying a nice lunch with my god-daughter tomorrow.

Cassidy

BJ said...

Gosh I even half read your post and I'm not a cook! I usually avoid all food stuff on blogs but yours was good ole substantial fare so I lingered. Bet that warmed your cockles.... BJ

Scrappycath said...

Oh this dinner looks wonderful. Would be especially good on a cold day!! Thanks for sharing.

John Going Gently said...

happy christmas old bean!

May said...

This looks yummy Elizabeth... Have a Wonderful Peaceful Christmas with you family & A Happy New Year.... Hugs May x x x

rhonda jean said...

Merry Christmas, Elizabeth
with love
Rhonda and Hanno xx

Di said...

Coo, this looks really yummy! I guess I could use Bockwurst?! Hugs, Di xx

1st Man said...

I"m sorry I'm late coming to thank you for the post and such kind words. It's humbles us that somewhere on the other side of the world, someone is making something we cook all the time. Awesome! Thank you again and I just joined your blog. I've been wanting to do some crafting eventually (got to get those gardens done first) but I hope to learn some great stuff from you. Thank you again! Hope 2013 is a great year for you!!!