Sunday 12 May 2013

Embossed Wax Paper Topper Card

Hello Everyone,

How do you know you are a real crafter? When you discover that you've sat all the way through dinner with bits of washi tape attached to the sleeve of your fleece!

And why was I walking around looking like an advert for washi tape? Well, it's easy to explain, I've been using my Cuttlebug and it had scraps of washi stuck to it, saved from a previous die cutting session :)

And this is why the Cuttlebug was out ... to emboss the white card for the base of this card topper. First time of using this Sizzix folder, Folksy Fun, but it's so pretty it won't be the last. 

I was sorting through my vast collection of snippets and happened on the lavender blue piece, the result of some experimentation with wax paper embossing some time last year, I think - the old memory is not as sharp as it once was. Anyway, I do remember that I embossed the wax paper with the Butterfly Meadow template, from Crafter's Workshop with the Cuttlebug. Once that was done, the wax paper was sandwiched between two pieces of white card and then ironed - this transfers the wax from paper to card which acts as a resist when sponged with ink - in this case, Tim Holtz Shaded Lilac. If you get up close and uncomfortable you might just discern a clump of grass and a couple of butterflies. Not the finest example of the technique but the colour is too pretty to waste and it is a perfect match for the lavender blue card used for matting. 
  
The silhouette stamp, from Kanban Crafts Spring Meadow set, is stamped in Archival Jet Black on front and in Memento London Fog inside. The set also contains a couple of  tiny single flower heads - one of which is stamped on the back of the card as a tiny finishing touch.

Materials: white card base; Generations Archival Cardstock in a lavender blue shade; smooth white cardstock; Sizzix embossing folder, Folksy Fun; Crafter's Workshop Butterfly Meadow template; Wax paper; Cuttlebug machine; Ink pads - Tim Holtz DI, Shaded Lilac, Ranger Archival Ink, Jet Black, Memento London Fog; Stamps - Kanban Crafts Spring Meadow, Wild Rose Studio Everyday Greetings; black/white gingham ribbon; small Woodware butterfly punch; Habico pearls; black ProMarker

I'm submitting this card to the following:

My To Craft - Challenge #221 'Show Us The Inside!'
Sweet Stampin' - Clean & Simple

And, of course, if there's snippets involved then I have to take a trip over to Di's, i.e.


Edited Note: At Brenda's suggestion I have also submitted this card to the Stamping Sensations May Challenge - Embossing and Texture

Nearly time to call it a day - there's a book by my bedside tempting me to settle down for a good read. 

I hope you have all had a great weekend and that you are rested, revived and raring to go for Monday :)

Take care and happy crafting,

24 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh Elizabeth gorgeous on numerous counts love the mauve of curse on white great card - one day will get decent waxed paper that works over here. Our is waxed very lightly on one side, and useless for this method have tired several. I thought might try candle scraping on the paper and melt that first to make it more waxy well its a thought... thanks for sahring, Shaz in oz.x

MaryH said...

This is so pretty. I've tried that wax paper technique, and lawsy, mine sure didn't look this great. (actually mine looked awful!)Love the topper and loved your EF too! Don't think I've seen this one yet. Too pretty...TFS & hugs.

Krisha said...

Very pretty card Elizabeth! I have gone to the store with glitter on my face, clothes and feet more times than I can count.....LOL

Jackie said...

Wonderful card Elizabeth, so beautiful :o)
Jackie xx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Gorgeous creation, love the embossed background & the colour against the white is really elegant!

Thank you for sharing with us at My Time To Craft this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

brenda said...

Or glitter Elizabeth, many a time I have been somewhere without realising my face is decidedly sparkly.

A very elegant card and the embossing shows up beautifully - would fit our theme at Stamping Sensations perfectly.

B x

debby4000 said...

Oh I love your gorgeous card.
luv
Debby

Sarn said...

Oh this is so pretty! I LOVE how embossing gives cards that something extra special.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing such a lovely card on the Playground

Craftychris said...

What a fab technique and its looks really good too! Love the embossing - the whole thing adds up to a gorgeous card xx

Inkypinkydelights said...

What a lovely CAS card. Thank you for sharing at Sweet Stampin' and good luck with the Challenge. Judy DT

May said...

Beautiful card Elizabeth.. Love the embossing & fabulous colour choice.. Hugs May x x

coops said...

gorgeous card Elizabeth.really pretty colours and flowers and your embossing is fab :D

xx coops xx

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth Oh.... "WOW" This is absolutely beautiful x

Di said...

Wahoo, this is perfection Elizabeth. Love the waxed paper technique and the embossing is beautiful (shame on me, I think I have that folder unused).

Hugs, Di xx

Alison Scott said...

A beautiful card. That technique worked so well for you, I may be tempted to try it again. My first go was absolutely awful.

Lynn said...

A very pretty card - I do like lavender and blue together. And yes, I too, have walked around with various bits and pieces stuck to my fleece! Lynn x

pinky said...

Brilliant technique and super results Elizabeth. Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Pinky

Gail said...

This is so pretty. The colors, the stamps, the embossing....so very pretty and I really love that color!!! Wonderful CAS card! Thanks for joining us at the challenge at Sweet Stampin' and hope to see you again soon! --Gail

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card Elizabeth, I love the embossing folder and TFS the technique, the results look fabulous :) Cathy x

Rachel said...

Very pretty card Elizabeth, I love the colours.

Thank you for sharing at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

Lynne K said...

A really pretty card, Elizabeth, such lovely fresh colours. The embossed background is gorgeous. I must try the wax paper technique, it is certainly effective. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us at Stamping Sensations this month.

Lynne

Purple Crazy said...

Lovely card, thanks for sharing at MTTC x

Tracy said...

Fab creation, thanks for joining Stamping Sensations, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x