Thursday 28 October 2010

Purple and Black Christmas Card

Apologies for the quality of these photos - terrible camera work responsible. I just can't get the card in the right light to show the colour at its best but here it is - Tilda, a vision in purple!


The design is based (roughly) a sketch by Bev Rochester (All the Things I Love) on her All My Sketches site - you can see it here.

Tilda is coloured with Promarkers and I can remember that I used Lilac, Lavender and Plum for her clothes and parcel and Ice Grey 1 and 2 for her boots. For her skin I used Ivory, Blush and Soft Peach and her hair is a mix of Caramel and Ivory if I remember correctly (I know I should make a note at the time but I always forget).

Because the photo isn't so good the flowers & leaves don't look so much purple and silver (which they are) but blue/silver!!! I spritzed them with Cosmic Shimmer and dipped in Versamark then Silver embossing powder (see my previous post for more details). Large size roses and black crystals from Wild Orchid Crafts and the leaves and small roses, black satin ribbon and purple organza ribbon from my local haberdashery store. I've wrapped the stems cut from the small roses, they come in bunches, round the end of a paintbrush to get a corkscrew affect. I did the same with the end of the branch of crystals. Another idea from the wonderfully talented Bev Rochester. I'm not sure you can see these very well in the photo.


You can just see the card I spritzed with Cosmic Shimmer and gave the cling film treatment to. I love this technique - it gives a different look each time and the mica settles into the most gorgeous random patterns. I was pleased at how the design paper looks too so I've added it in panels to the back  and inside - no sentiment inside yet as I haven't decided who is going to be the recipient.




I really wasn't sure about this colour combo but now that the card is completed I am really quite chuffed with it and I won't be so unwilling to try unusual combinations in the future.

I'm entering it in the following challenges:

Magnolia Stamp Lovers - Purple and Black
Teresa of Crafting All Day on Docrafts  - Sketch Challenge

That's almost it for now but I thought you might like to see the boss who has just popped in for one of her periodical checks.


This is Bonnie who is my constant companion. She was a rescued cat that we adopted just over two years ago now. She was thought to be nine years old at the time making her eleven or thereabouts. Apart from a couple of missing teeth she is in great shape and quite a character - at times a real naughty tortie!

Bye for now
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Adorable! Love the polka dots and you did such a perfect job on her coloring! Thank you so much for joining us at MSL! :)

Cindy said...

This is a lovely mix of colors and textures. Great job. Thanks for playing at the MSL challenge, please stop by often. C2

Hazeyj said...

Beautiful card and awesome embellies - good luck in the challenges as I think your colour scheme is bold and eyecatching. H x