Thursday 13 January 2011

Football Fanatic Card + Another Recycle Challenge Card

Happy Thursday to you all,


Materials used:
  • Cardstock - white & green
  • Papers - Super Smooth Matt paper 100gsm & White Multipurpose printer paper 80gsm
  • My Craft Studio Professional The Finishing Line
  • Martha Stewart border punch
  • Stamp Away's useful words set
  • Kelly Green ink pad
My grandson #1 is football mad (sigh, so is #2 & #3) so I just had to make him a themed card for his 22nd birthday recently. Now, I know nothing about football, not even enough to write on the proverbial postage stamp, but I did know that he is a Celtic supporter so I tried to find something in green and white in my crafting stuff. Not easy, I have very little football related stash anyway and no stamps either but I did find some football themed artwork in My Craft Studio's The Finishing Line CD. Problem was the colours were all wrong and I'd never be forgiven for giving him a card showing the wrong team colours - that would be the crime of the century! However, I was able to alter the colour even though the players' legs were now a fetching shade of green too :)



I thought I'd pulled it off when grandson #1 described the card as 'crackin' - and I breathed again. Too soon, it would appear the stripes are going the wrong way. Well, how's a grandmother supposed to know that, I ask you?

Thankfully, the challenge card was a tad easier to design. I just had to recycle something from the many commercial cards received and this time I decided that, for a complete change, it would be a very feminine birthday card.


Materials used:
  • Kraft Notecard from Hero Arts for base
  • Dotty design paper from Papermania's Summer Bloom 6x6 pack
  • Green trim leftover from a previous project
  • Recycled glittered rose trim & hat box topper
  • Freebie greeting stamp
  • Versafine Olympia Green ink pad
Several items on this card are recycled, leftover from another project or a freebie - very frugal of me :) Having spent the better part of a year succumbing to the temptation of acquiring tons of crafting items - card, paper, stamps, more paper, ribbons, inks, embellishments, more ribbon, equipment, even more ribbon etc., etc., I've called a halt before I bankrupt myself completely. That said, I'm really relishing the challenge to use up all this lovely stuff before I purchase any more and, at the same time, recycle stuff too. It's a very satisfying exercise.



Just for a change, and also because I loved it, I lined the inside of the card with the dotty design paper - as the dots are pastels on a white background it should be okay to write a greeting on it.

That's my cards for today. I've just realised that the only stamping on these cards is in the greetings - did I say they were easy to make? Still not found the time to create a scrapbook layout - too many other projects to do and I still have to make my Christmas card for this week - I've made a start so I'd better finish it off this evening.

Bye for now,
Elizabeth

4 comments:

Hazeyj said...

Lovely cards which prove your crafting credentials! I think the footie card is fabulous and Celtic don't always wear hoops; they could have been the plain greens! The recycled card is very girly and cute! I too must stop succumbing to crafty bargains! Hazel x

Carrie said...

I really like these cards Elizabeth. I particularly impressed with the Football card as I am hopeless at making cards for males! I have just tried to make my father a birthday card and I have binned it in frustration. Thanks for sharing your creations with me xxx

jude said...

Elizabeth your cards are gorgeous.thats one thing i hte in all my years of a crafter making male themed cards.....i love my flowers and bling too much!
Thanks for the lovely message you left me .Have great weekend
hugs judex

Christa said...

Hi Elizabeth , you have made 2 beautifull cards again. I like the way you write "the making of" the football-card ; it made me laugh. Love from Holland , Christa.