Sunday 15 January 2012

In the Direction of Dreams ... a canvas and matching card set.

Afternoon Everyone,

It's been a busy day for me ... well, a sort of busy day. After breakfast, I spent a good couple of hours this morning watching the new scrapbooking programme with Wendy Rhodes, hoping to pick up some useful tips. It ended in time for lunch so it wasn't until early afternoon I was able to hit the craft space, intending to do something with grunge paper but ... Outlook calendar reminded me of a birthday coming up. So I've been working on a shabby chic card today which I will probably post tomorrow. And for the last couple of days I've been working on this canvas and card set - another birthday - so the grungeboard and spool project just has to wait.


I started by making an ATC for Sarah's My Mojo Monthly. The theme this month is Play Petite ... go small, make an ATC ... so I did.


Our friend, Scott, has a lot of imagination, ambition and energy and is well on his way to realising his dreams. He recently completed an MBA, all the while building a very successful business ... he's aiming to become a millionaire before he's 40 :)) And as if that wasn't enough, he fills his spare time with distance running and the martial arts - mainly Tai Kwon Do, but he dabbles in others too. In fact, only this week he returned from Israel after completing a Krav-Maga course ... no, I don't know what it is either. Anyway, I digress, but it was thinking about what Scott does that led me to the making of this ATC. And I've finally used one of my collection of Clarity stamps.  The sentiment is a digital from Pink Petticoat. I'm afraid the photo does not do it justice - there's a lot of sparkle you just can't see!  Like Sarah, I decided to incorporate the ATC into the canvas I had started.


It's all about travel ... any kind of travel, places, directions, whatever, and maybe just a gentle reminder to write home too :) A lot of paint, distress inks, cosmic shimmer, stamping and gold embossing went into this project ... yes, I got messy for this one ... though the embellishments were kept to a minimum ... just a couple of brads, adage tickets and a tiny dragonfly.  Once again, the photo doesn't do it justice ... the colours are much better in the flesh, so to speak.


And after the canvas the card had to be simple, a ready-made card base, a bit of sponging with distress inks, stamping and heat embossing - silver this time, a ready-made greeting matted on to silver mirri card and some fab silver polka-dotted card candy - job done :)

Materials used:
- 7"x5" canvas board
- white gesso
- Adirondack paint dabber - mushroom
- Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky, Aged Mahogany, Black Soot, Pumice Stone
- VersaMark; fine gold & silver embossing powders
- Cosmic Shimmer - Pearl Mist, Rich Gold
- Stamps: Clarity - Postcards, Famous Places; Inkylicious - Simply Scrip;: Tim Holtz - Visual Artistry Collection
- Digital: Debbi Moore CD - Shabby Chic; Pink Petticoat - Tiny Sentiments
- Mask - Tim Holtz Idea-ology mini mask - compass
- Tools: heat gun; ink duster; make-up sponge
- Embellishments: Tim Holtz adage tickets; brads, dragonfly, card candy, greeting card topper, silver mirri card & silver/polka-dotted card candy from stash

I started writing up this post this afternoon in between cutting, sticking, distressing, and glittering, and then it was time for dinner, followed by Dancing on Ice - so many distractions :)) So now I'm sitting here in my PJ's after a lovely lazy easy Sunday - what more could a woman want :)


I hope you have all had as good a Sunday as I have and that all's well with your world.

Take care and happy crafting,

16 comments:

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,
You've been busy! The canvas and card looks amazing. I'm sure the recipient will love it. As I'm writing this it's only 4:30 Sunday evening and I've had a nice day too.

I finished another wreath, this one in the shape of a heart. I'm hoping to post it on my blog tomorrow. Believe it or not, my craft space looks worse than it did on Wednesday! I've now started clearing it out and then I'll make some cards using my Cuttlebug. I really enjoy the embossing folders that I bought.

Tomorrow is a holiday here so I have one more day!

Hugs,
Kay

Jackie said...

Superb matching set, wonderful gift :o)
Jackie xx

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

It sounds like you had a wonderful day .. . all chilled and relaxed .. .. just how Sunday's should be.

Loving the projects you have shown. So many lovely elements to them .. especially the canvass. Loving the background and the delicate colours.

At last Mr Blogger is letting me play in blogland again. I changed over to Google Chrome as you suggested Elizabeth and tweaked a few other bits as suggested by others .. .. isn't blogland friendly.

Thank you for your help Elizabeth. Much appreciated.

Love Jules xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Elizabeth - great job there and love the different oft tones - love it..
Oops you have just reminded me I have a 90th to do a card - eek! totally forgot it is this Sat, so better get the brain in gear! one dumb blond here, love Shaz in oz.x

Di said...

Hi Elizabeth - I was sure I'd commented here last night when also in my PJs! :) Beautiful makes - so much work has gone into these with a fabulous result!!

Re. your comment about not using PMs on one layer cards - my problem as well. But, I made the basic card as just one layer so of course the PMs bled through, esp. the red, and have now just halved another white card of the same size and stuck it behind the front, you wouldn't even know - for once my sticking was spot on :) Sarn often uses patterned paper on the inside of her one layer cards - after all, it's only the front that has to be just one layer :))

Cold here today, really deep frost. As I said, the meat loaf was a hit once again :))

Di
xx

Irene said...

Hello Elizabeth

Wow, what can I say but fabulous, fantastic and brilliant. I am sure the recipent will love your canvas, it's just perfect.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog.

irene
xxxx

Crafting Queen said...

What a wonderful canvas and love the ATC you included as well. The card is very simple but striking. Thank for your comment on my lo on Crafting Time. :)

San @ Made in Hem said...

Did you make all this from your stash? I came by to cheer on you for taking the challenge to UIU! :)
What a marvelous set you made! ♥

Jane said...

gorgeous, love your canvas x

Craftychris said...

Wow so many creations and all fab! Time runs away from me too when I'm watching c & c xx

Sarah said...

I can never get going with crafting until the afternoon! There's too much faffing around to be done in the mornings... I think your ATC is just great and not at all too simple. The embossing, images and words are very well proportioned and it looks really wonderful and totally at home on your travel canvas. A great job indeed! Thanks so much for sharing with My Mojo Monthly! sarah.

Bernie said...

These are both fantastic! I am sure Scott will love them both.
Blessings Bernie

Sarn said...

Hi Elizabeth . . . just popping in to comment on your fab projects here. Love the ATC you've made. I've made one for MMM too . . . first time I've joined in.
xxx

Maggie said...

Lovely ATC and a great sentiment, the ATC fits into the canvas so well!

Maggie H

Hettie said...

Ooo! Elizabeth this is absolutely gorgeous. Love it and hope your friend did!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

great job on your ATC and card! great words too and the eiffel tower stamp must be so useful. thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS