Friday 20 January 2012

Foodie Friday - Low-Fat Vegetable Curry

Morning Folks

I hope this finds you all well and looking forward to a fun-filled weekend. I took myself off to the gym yesterday ... first time back after the holidays and, oh boy, am I paying for it. I just keep telling myself it's doing me good because exercise is good for you, isn't it?

Today's recipe is very easy to make, from pan to plate in a flash. Preparing the vegetables, best done in advance, and boiling the rice are about as time-consuming as it gets :)


Years ago, more than 30 in act, when I first developed severe arthritis my mother gave me a book which suggested that what we ate could make a difference to the severity of the condition. So I changed my diet, cut out meat and dairy products completely, ate fish occasionally, and did eventually start to feel better ... of course, it could have just been that the prescribed medication eventually did its job, or even a combination of the two, diet and medication. Whatever, I felt better. And this recipe, discovered about that time, with an adjustment or two, became a firm favourite. Even the EM, a meat and two veg kind of man, enjoys it. The yoghurt, being a dairy product, was a no-no according to the diet, however, coconut  milk makes a pretty good substitute.  Here's the recipe.

Low-Fat Mushroom and Courgette (Zucchini) Curry
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
4oz rice
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2-3 teaspoons curry powder – more if you like, the quantity depends on how hot you like your curry
6-8oz mushrooms, wiped and sliced
2 courgettes, sliced
1-2 tablespoons cold water
1 small carton of low-fat natural yoghurt or half a tin (400ml) of coconut milk

Method
1. Cook the rice.
2. In a large deep frying pan saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened.
3. Stir in the curry powder.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms and courgette.
5. Add the water and stir well.
6. Cover and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes.
7. Stir in the yoghurt and cook uncovered for a further 2-3 minutes.
8. Served with the cooked rice.

I haven't given instructions on how to cook the rice ... I usually look for the water to rice ratio guide on the packet.

Although the instructions say that once the yoghurt is added continue cooking for 2-3 minutes but I find that it is possible to overcook at this point. I find it best to plate up the rice, then quickly add the yoghurt to the curry mixture and just give it long enough to be sure it's heated through before serving up.

Other than naan bread to accompany this I won't make suggestions that would 'beef' this recipe up. Sometimes something as simple and light as this curry goes down a treat.

For a more substantial recipe check out last week's curry recipe from Di, of Pixie's Crafty Workshop ... I'm planning to try it out myself - you can find it here.

I have a completed card to post later, after I've got the camera out and, hopefully, found enough light to get some half decent shots.

In the meantime, I wish you happy cooking and happy crafting,



13 comments:

Di said...

Great Elizabeth - I'll be trying this one soon :) Looks totally scrummy too. Di xx

brenda said...

Sounds very tasty Elizabeth, I'm always up for something spicy.

Keep at the exercise, I'm sure it will pay off long term. I so often wish I could do more on that front, but alas swimming is about as much as my body can cope with and the nearest pool is miles away. Perfect excuse for breaks in nice hotels with a pool though !

Have a good weekend.

B x

Di said...

Hi Elizabeth again! Thanks for hopping by - hope the loaf and curry work out fine for you. Don't tell Leonardo, I hide things in a 'futility room' cupboard behind the iron. No chance of him finding it :))

Di
xx

Craftychris said...

The curry look very tasty and well done going to the gym. Have a good day xx

Dolly Daydreams said...

I'm starving !!! How mean of you not only a great recipe but a scrummy picture too, looks delicious.

Marie

Felicia said...

That looks so yummy! Will be printing that recipe out for sure! *huggles* =0)

505whimsygirl said...

This sounds good. I do love a good curry dish.

Hugs,
Kay

nessy said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm makes me feel hungry ~enjoy!
vanessa xx

Kath Stewart said...

oh this looks absolutely yummy...must give the recipe a try...hugs kath xxx

CraftygasheadZo said...

Super! I have awarded you the Liebster award please have a look at my blog to find out why! Zo x

akilli melek said...

finally got 10 secs to blog hop. thoguht i would come and say hello. we are at home for the moment. It has been so frustrating not being able to catch up with your blog when we are in the hospital, but looking forward to reading more now that we are home again.
caroline

Sarah said...

I don't know what looks more yummy, this curry or your flowers below... I can't have any gluten so this would also be good for me too. Just been browsing through your work and you have some really lovely creations on show Elizabeth - truly... Love the Butterfly Dreams - just wonderful! Have a good week and hope to see you amongst the throngs on WOYWW? Seems like there's huge new surge of folk - think a few will fall away after a month with the '6am or be no.199' thing! x Sarah.

Siobhan Fyffe said...

Just had a look at some of your projects Elizabeth. You have some lovely ideas and I do like your attention to detail. And your curry recipe caught my eye. I am trying to eat more vegetable dishes so will give this one a go. Thanks for the lovely comments you left on my blog.
Take care.
Siobhan