Monday 23 January 2012

Winged Love ... a Valentine's Day card, of course.

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

I hope you all had a lovely weekend wherever you are and that you are all well. Apologies for being MIA, I've not been crafting recently ... pain stopped play, so rather than the crafting, I've been resting. Luckily, I did manage to complete this card on Thursday last week so thought you might like to see it now.


For my birthday last year I was treated to a Lisa Pace book entitled Delight in the Details, and it is a delight. I love the ideas in the book so much that I thought I would attempt to make something based one of the cards illustrated. Of course, I didn't have any of the materials Lisa used, that goes without saying, so I raided my stash and improvised as usual. Otherwise, the design is very much Lisa's.

The papers base card, a charcoal grey, came from my favourite pack of Papermania textured card ... there's not a lot left in this pack now and I'm going to miss it when it's completely done because it has proved to be very usable. The white/black design paper is from Papermania too but the pink is from My Mind's Eye, Deena's Penny Lane Collection which is trimmed with a scalloped punch ... the trimming is stitched over the black/white paper ... my stitching needs more practice, but, believe me, this is better than previous attempts. All the trims and embellishments are bits and pieces left over from other projects and the handwriting on the little jewellers' tag is mine! The wings are actually a die-cut sticker butterfly cut in half. The ribbons are Anna Griffin.


The insert is a modified paper from Debbi Moore's Shabby Chic CD, Paper Delights. The papers are pdf documents so I used the snapshop facility, converted it to jpeg and imported it into My Crafts Studio to re-size it and digitally punch out the heart shapes. After printing the insert out it was finished off with a scalloped trim to match the front.


The back is simply decorated with a punched heart.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with the completed project, I particularly like the combination of lace and ribbons and the way the insert looked eventually, after a fair bit of tweaking :)


Not one for Pixie's snippets, the papers and cardstock were 'new' ... new, in the sense that it was all sitting in my stash unused and uncut ... but, because of that, it certainly fits in with the principles of Fran's Use-It-Up. It's disgraceful that I've become such a paper hoarder ... I'm ashamed of myself (hanging head in shame) but some paper just seems too beautiful to use :(  However, I am now making inroads and at the same time overcoming my fear of cutting beautiful paper.

Now I'm off to lie down for a bit, after another bad night I need some shuteye ... there's no rest for the wicked :))

Hope to see you later, once I'm feeling my old self again ... hopefully for What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday, if not sooner.

In the meantime, happy crafting,

18 comments:

CraftygasheadZo said...

This is so pretty. Hope you're feeling rested & hope to see you for WOYWW. Zo x

Felicia said...

A simply beautiful card! I just love how it turned out. A SUPER UIU project for sure! I hear ya about the amount of paper *hangs head* I have a little bit myself lol. Feel better! *huggles* =0)

Craftychris said...

What a gorgeous card! So much to look at. I really hope your pain lessens soon. Keep resting! Take care. xxx

Sharne Davies said...

sorry you are not feeling perky at the moment but like your card lots - i too have a craft room of lovely paper wasiting to be used. i will one day.................XX Sharne ( Fresh as a Daisy)

Lisa M. Pace said...

Love your card, Elizabeth. So glad you are enjoying my book.

Hugs!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

That is a lovely card, Elizabeth, such beautiful soft colours. Thank you for your visit and your kind comments. See you later this week, I hope. xx Maggie

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

PS I have stolen your little 100% UIU. Hope you don't mind. I thought it was such a good idea. If you object, please let me know so that I don't use it. Maggie

M said...

Really beautiful intricate design! Hope you're soon feeling better. M x

Hettie said...

Another gorgeous card Elizabeth and sorry to hear you have been suffering. A hug for you is winging it's way up to you.
Better be well for Burns Night on Wednesday! We had our local one on Saturday and a passable Seann Truibhas was danced by yours truly! Another one on Wednesday at my Wednesday group so think I will do Flora MacDonald's Fancy! Enjoy!

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling so good .. .. I hope by the time you are reading this you have had a good nights sleep and are feeling much better.

Your share today is gorgeous .. .. I found the heart(s) no problem and I'm not surprised you have had to hold on to your papers a while before using them. They are beautiful!

Love Jules xx

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I've been achy and not feeling well this weekend either. And another kind of "odd coincidence," I was just TODAY looking at the same book - Delight in the Details. Oh my. That just gives me goose bumps!

Lovely card.

Hugs,
Kay

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card, so pretty inside and out :o)
I hope you are soon feeling much better.....hugs
Jackie xx

coops said...

gorgeous card elizabeth.the design is beautiful and i love your pretty colours :D

xx coops xx

Di said...

Absolutely stunning Elizabeth - love the grey and pink (I've just finished a card in those colours and they do go so well together). Love the lace and ribbon - and the way you always finish off the insides and back of your cards! Hope you feel better real soon! Get well hugs, Di xx

Kim Dellow said...

Oh lovely Elizabeth, love the buckle. Hope you are feeling better. Kim

Angie said...

Another beautiful card ...and the inside is beautiful too. I think you are one of a few, who put so much effort into the complete card ...amazing result.

I have to agree ...some paper is to beautiful to use ....some I buy knowing I will not find a use for it ...but its so beautiful to look at as one flicks through the stash.
Sorry to read you are having sleeping problems ...I expect you have tried everything ...maybe you should stop trying and it might break the pattern. xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Just gorgeous Elizabeth! Shaz.x

Bernie said...

AW Elizabeth So sorry to hear that you're still not well today Wed. I hope you will soon be feeling better.
Your card is beautiful! Isn't it sad when a paper we love so much runs out and there is no way to replace it. I love these papers together and the colors. Also love the way you've done the ribbon, lace and buckle. Stunning. Thanks for all your lovely comments.
Take care and get better my friend.
Hugs & Blessings
Bernie