Saturday 14 January 2012

Card with recycled topper ... and something that made me smile today

Afternoon Everyone,

I neglected to post yesterday because I went shopping. Not for crafting materials, oh no, having taken the vow to Use It Up, I couldn't possibly do that. No, I went shopping for clothes ... in fact, I hit M&S with some vouchers I received recently, determined to augment my wardrobe with a new top or two. Cruising the aisles of the shop and being spoilt for choice, I realised that it had been simply eons since I had shopped for clothes ... in fact, it has become such a rarity since I retired that I had forgotten what a pleasure it can be :)) When I was a member of the workforce, a freelance businesswoman no less, I had to have a wardrobe of clothes that reflected that ... I couldn't possibly meet a client wearing my favourite jeans and sweatshirt, no it had to be a sharp suit, etc., etc. Now my sartorial needs are rather less sharp and more designed for comfort ... rather like I am myself ... sigh :( The moral of this little saga is ... I should dress up more :)

Anyway, now you know why I absented myself yesterday. However, late on I did finish this little card.


I have a few projects on the go at the moment ... unlike me I know, I usually finish one project before moving on to the next  but I was waiting for some paint to dry ... boring ... so I started this little card to fill in the time. It was intended for a challenge, with the theme of recycling something from Christmas, but was too late in completing it  ... such is life :)  The topper is recycled from a card received in 2010 ... yes, I have a  hoard of cards from way back!  After removing the topper I trimmed it back, then edged it with gold embossing powder. The base card was plain white, now brushed with red distress ink and stamped with little sprays of holly leaves in the same colour. The stamp is from a set of stamps I received in a giveway last year and as I may have, with all the sad and tragic things going on in my life at the time, neglected to post it up here it is now:


Thank you Janet, I've really enjoyed cracking open the stamp set for this card. Also known as Clarky J, of Clarky J's Play Space, Janet has a fab blog dedicated to all things Christmassy, Christmas Preparations and is also one half of the duo that is Lovin Ink. (It is they who organised the retreat that I was going to attend in September last year but, unfortunately, Alan, my DH, became ill and I had to cancel.) As you can see it is a lovely selection of Christmassy materials, fab die-cuts, K&Company's Holiday adhesive ribbon and Inkadinkado's Holiday stamp set and several sheets of 'handmade by' labels. You can also see the Christmas card Janet enclosed with the package - absolutely beautiful. I'd not seen this stamp set before but it is a really useful collection of greetings and tiny seasonal stamps, and it comes with its own peg block - the little stamps fit on the end and the longer ones along the length ... a brilliant idea :)


The inside is simply decorated with the little holly spray.


I don't think you need two guesses to work out why I had to brush the back of the card with the red ink too, yes, I got some spots on it so had to do a cover up job :(

Materials used:

- Kanban ready-made 5" square scalloped edged base card
- Tim Holtz distress ink - fired brick and Inkylicious ink duster
- Inkadinkado Holiday clear stamp set
- VersaMark
- Heat-It-Up find gold embossing powder
- Recycled topper
- Gold metallic cord

The EM got one of those label-maker things for his Christmas and he has been steadily working his way round the house labelling all the electric plugs, files and folders, etc. He's now running out of things to label ... you can see how desperate he is  here:


This is what I came downstairs to this morning :)) He tried to tell me that The Boss had a hand in this - the spelling is terrible, only a cat could be responsible for it, surely. Bonnie is not amused!

Okay, I'm off to cook up a storm for dinner and if I don't get a wriggle on there will be one starving EM in this house.

I hope you are all well and enjoying your weekend so far.

Happy Crafting,

8 comments:

lisa said...

I know exactly what you mean about clothes shopping, Elizabeth. I used to have a vast wardrobe when I worked and shoes with heels and now I live in jeans!!!! We should definitely dress up more!!
I hope you managed to treat yourself to some beautiful things.
What a lovely pile of stash you won from Janet. I know Janet and Michelle (Lovin Ink) two nicer ladies you couldn't meet, they live close to me and we meet up at workshops and shows and I made Michelle's son's Wedding cake, a real honour so you should definitely try and rearrage your retreat, you'll have a great time with them.
Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Yes, I was thrilled to spot my canvas and little box and a few cards with Sheena on Thursday and a few more today. It's always really exciting and I still have to pinch myself that she wants me on her DT!!
Hope you have a lovely Sunday.
Hugs Lisax

Marie-Louise said...

A lovely card Elizabeth - never thought of recycling my christmas cards although I have been known to remove a nice ribbon or two. Hope Alan is feeling better.

Jackie said...

You and me both Elizabeth, I went clothes shopping on Tuesday for the first time in many many moons.
Love you card, I have got my christmas cards all ready to vandalise for re-use (not the handcrafted ones, I keep those) :o)
Jackie xx

Craftychris said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your clothes shopping, I bought a couple of tops in the sale - one of them was from M & S. Your card is fab - recycling your Christmas cards in a good idea! xx

Sarpreet said...

lol, funny bowl

beautiful creations

(I also wanted to drop by to let you know about my sale that may be of interest to you, many items reduced, pop by to my blog for more info)

Bernie said...

Love this card! I also have a box full of Christmas cards from years back waiting to be given new life. I love the background you've created. I have a similar stamp, I'll have to remember to us it as you have. Hope the Em is doing better.
Blessings Bernie

Sarpreet said...

hi Elizabeth, thank you for dropping by my blog. There is stlil so much left in the decoupage pack, you are right.

The items I have for sale are NON crafy items.

505whimsygirl said...

Catching up on your posts, Elizabeth.

I have a confession. I am lucky enough to be able to wear my jeans to work. I don't wear any that are faded, etc. I have nice blouses and can dress up my dark denim pretty nicely. If I got a job where I'd have to dress up I'd have to go out and buy a new wardrobe. Yikes!!

The reuse of Christmas cards to make new Christmas cards in a great idea. There were three tags on presents this year and I'm planning to make a Christmas cards out of them for the people that gave me those gifts. We'll see if they recognize them!

Hugs,
Kay