Thursday 26 January 2012

HANDY HIPPO THURSDAY - WEEK #1

Good Morning Everyone

I’m delighted to share with you the exciting news that from today Thursday is going to be “HANDY HIPPO THURSDAY” here at the Craft Space.

Some weeks ago I was asked by Suzy at Handy Hippo if I would be interested in designing a regular project with the aim of introducing and promoting Handy Hippo’s online catalogue of crafting goodies to you all.

As I was already a happy and satisfied customer, I was absolutely delighted ... I’m sure it’s going to be fun creating projects using materials from the Handy Hippo cyber-shelves and it's my hope that you all like my projects and enjoy the experience with me.

If you haven’t already discovered Handy Hippo then you are in for a treat. This award winning online shop, established in 2004, is one the leading craft suppliers in the UK carrying a huge stock of craft products ... this includes a great range of stamps, rubber, clear and cling, embossing folders, all the popular brands of paper punches, dies, jewellery making supplies, and much more than I can possibly mention here.

 Handy Hippo also  has a well earned reputation for quality, competitive prices, I can vouch for that, and excellent customer service.

As it's nearing Valentine's day I've opted to make a romantic card using one of my favourite sentiment stamps and punched hearts - lots of them. So once you’ve checked it out, do pop over to Handy Hippo and browse the packed cyber shelves.


Craft supplies used in this project are available from Handy Hippo and if you would like to make the same project then simply click on the magic button below and it will take you directly to a shopping cart that contains everything you would need to make it. Once there, you can simply and easily remove any of the items that you already have in your craft stash.



It’s also easy to add any other purchase that you might like to your basket.

As I don’t have to list the materials I’ve used, happily that has all been done that for me, I thought it might be helpful if instead I give you a step-by-step on how the card has been made.

  • Trim a sheet of  pastel pink cardstock to measure 10" by 5", then fold to form a 5" square base card.
  • Cut a piece of the pink polka patterned dot card to form a 4¾" square. Ink edges with pink ink pad.
  • Trim a piece of pink cardstock to measure 31/10" 4¾" and the floral patterned paper to measure 3" x 4¾". Adhere the patterned paper centrally to the pink card. Wrap a length of the pink ribbon, cut to measure  6½" approximately, widthways and adhere securely in place at the back. Next wrap a length of the grey organza ribbon, measuring 12" approximately, lengthways, tie in a bow and trim.
  • Stamp the Cherish sentiment with black ink on to a piece of the polka-dot patterned card measuring 37/10" x 3" and ink the edges with the pink ink pad. Trim the patterned paper to 1/10 more all round than the stamped topper, and the pink pastel card 1/10 more again, to create a mat. Adhere all three pieces together and then position to the right of the ribbon bow. 



  • To make the flower punch a circle out of cardstock for the base, 6 heart shapes from the polka dot card, and 1 daisy flower from the patterned paper. Using a pen or your fingers shape the punched hearts to give them a bit of dimension and then rub the pink ink pad along the edges to add a bit of definition. Place a generous amount of silicone adhesive in the centre of the base circle and then position the hearts evenly in a circle - allow to dry. Glue the punched daisy and when dry add a small adhesive pearl to the middle. 
  • Glue the flower to the top right corner of the topper and embellish the corners with pearls.


  • To decorate decorate the inside cut two strips of patterned paper 5" long by 1¼" wide. Punch a heart shape from base of each strip and adhere a strip to each side.


  • Decorate the back with one of the heart shapes from the strips used for the inside.

I hope you like my first project and I will be here again next Thursday with my second project.

By the way, signing up to receive the Handy Hippo newsletter will ensure that you are informed of the excellent on-line sales and special offers.

Happy crafting folks, 


18 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

a lovely card, Elizabeth thanks for sharing! excellent use of a heart punch to make the flower...and cant beat spots for elegance! off to peek at the cyber shop - always fascinates me to see what is available overseas, Shaz in oz.x

peggy aplSEEDS said...

no wonder you're excited! great tutorial and lovely card. love that heart petaled flower.
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

Jackie said...

Congratulations on your design post Elizabeth.
This is such a beautiful card, so pretty and I love that flower :o)
Jackie xx

lisa said...

Now I see why you were keeping us in suspense, Elizabeth, that's great news, Congratulations.
Your card is gorgeous, I love the polka dots and of course another punched flower for me to have a go at.
Have a lovely day.
Hugs Lisax

CraftygasheadZo said...

Woohoo that's great news. I've often popped over to peek at Handy Hippo products. Your card is really pretty. Zo x

Jules said...

Woo hoo Elizabeth .. .. what fantastic news!!!

I am loving your gorgeous card and "so" need to try that heart flower!! How clever of you to think of that.

You are going to have such great fun working with Handy Hippo.

Love and excitement for you Jules xx

Craftychris said...

Congratulations! No wonder you are pleased. I will hop over and sign up to the mailing list. Your card is fab - I love the flower and the tutorial is brilliant xx

Di said...

OMGosh Elizabeth - fab news! Brilliant card - and what's even more spooky is that I've already made my snippets card here for Sunday, using a heart punch for the flower - before I hopped in here. It's not the same as yours but still quite made my hair stand on end.
I already buy from HH and often hop from Jules blog to shop there - oh dear, now TWO lots of temptation! Well done again :) Di xx

505whimsygirl said...

Hi there Elizabeth,

What a pretty card. Another way I can use my heart punches -- thank you!!

I have something for you over at my blog -- please hop on over to see!!

Hugs,
Kay

nessy said...

how very true elizabeth ~such a pretty card!
vanessa xx

M said...

This is a gorgeous card, I love the black writing on the spotty paper and the flower made of hearts is inspired! M x

Catherine said...

This is gorgeous, love the flower and the colours....

coops said...

congratulations elizabeth on your fantastic happy hippo news.your card is beautiful.gorgeous sentiment and colours and i love the spotty paper :D

xx coops xx

Ann said...

That is great Elizabeth, well done.
I am sure you will enjoy it very much and be an inspiration to all.
Ann x

Marie-Louise said...

Congratulations Elizabeth. It is a beautiful card. Love the soft pink and the flower made from the hearts.

Sarn said...

Love the card and thanks for sharing how to make the pretty hearts flower.

Congrats on being selected by HH team. xxxx

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Elizabeth, I am only too delighted that you want to use one of my ideas. You are very welcome. In return, I am intending to pinch one of your ideas, those polka dot flowers are lovely. I have done something similar in the past and I think it is time to revive that idea. xx Love, Maggie

Hettie said...

Well done you on getting this "job" and I know you will do it well. Also well done for such a lovely card and I love the flower made with hearts.