Wednesday, 12 August 2026

WOYWW Week 897/117 - On Photography and Cameras

Hello Everyone, 

Happy What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday. Hope you have a lovely day - whatever the weather.  

On my desk is the scrapbook world's newest recruit! (Photo taken yesterday), She's a quick learner.
This has now become a bit of a change for me - a layout with just one photo! It's of my only niece and I just have this one photo of her from that time, about 1984/5. This page just had to have flowers, butterflies, hearts and the colour pink - all so appropriate for such a pretty little girl. The spending freeze is still going surprisingly well and I've not felt the need to buy anything except the essential adhesive tape runners. The oldest supply used is the alpha set for the title - Dear Lizzy's 'Serendipity' foam letters from 2011!

I'm finding it increasingly wasteful to create a page with a single photo. Mainly because, as I may have mentioned before, living in a small flat means there is so much less room to store scrapbook albums, but there's also the inescapable fact that I have hundreds of photos to deal with. I've been sorting through all those photos, binned the ones that are no longer relevant for one reason or another, e.g. if I don't recognise the subject or it's yet more of the many beautiful plants in the beautiful gardens we visited. There's only so many pages of flowers anyone needs in their albums!
So, knowing this, the aim from now is to get as many photos on one 12x12 page as possible. I've completed Shimelle's 3x4 Photo Love class which has helped enormously. This page is an example of what I've learned. The photos are all of my late husband's mother holidaying on the Isle of Man. To make scrapping them easier, I used my camera to photograph the original, very old photos and printed them all out in 3x4 size. Much easier than trying to work with the variety of sizes of the originals. 

This page is going into an album I've been putting together for Alan's nephew. It's one of several I'm putting together for various members of my family, like my niece in the page above. Another way of dealing with the limited space I have for my own albums. 

Of course, I wouldn't have this problem if I wasn't such a keen amateur photographer. I just can't help myself. Ever since I watched my father taking snapshots with his old Kodak Box Brownie, I've been interested in all things to do with photography so found this exhibit in Callender House, Falkirk, fascinating. 
The photos are a record of the people and industry that were once seen in the area. 

Most of the pictures in the exhibition were taken with this Mamiya 545 from 1975, using the Kodak Tri x 400asa film. I believe the film is still available today.
It's totally different from this, my first camera bought in 1964 - an Ilford Sprite. I remember being so thrilled to have saved enough from my job in the bank to buy it before I went off on my first solo holiday that year. It's a world of difference from the digital cameras I have to choose from today - either my Nikon D3400 Digital Camera, or even the one on my mobile phone. 

As Silver has taken the starring role already today and after that trip down memory lane, I think it's time I left you with my usual message. If you don't already do so, I urge you to join in with WOYWW. You can do this by clicking on this link, Sarah's Craft Shed, where you will be made most welcome.

Take care and have a fabulous week.

Elizabeth

13 comments:

ukmaryanne said...

Happy too-hot WOYWW!
It's funny - I was a big fan of the two page spread, loads of photos, and sometimes with an extra flip put to get even more in there. But when I started working for Scrapbook Inspirations, they favoured single page, couple photos, loads of advertiser products, so my preferences got squashed. Single pages were easier to photograph and left lots of room on the page for other stuff. I do love your layouts with one photo but I also remember 3x4 Photo love as a super inspiring class so will enjoy seeing bunches of them on future layouts. Either way, you are filling albums :)
Mary Anne (6)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You made me smile about the camera. My hubby used to teach photography and liked the class to have similar cameras, he was obsessed. I got home from school one evening to find a letter saying gone to Bournmouth for camera, we lived in Manchester at the time! So I understand it all. I could tell more stories but we'd be here all day. Happy woyww, Angela x7x

Anonymous said...

There’s something very special about ‘proper’ photos isn’t there? I love your LOs. I love Silver too of course and am sending you both hugs.
Love Annie x #5

Crafting With Jack said...

I remember multi photo layouts on Pixelscrapper. The photographs obviously end up small. With some of the old photographs I have been given they were small to start with. My early photographs were from the cameras with the drop in film. I looked at pictures of the instamatic, but they didn’t jog my memory. I remember the thrill of getting my photographs, but I think I am digressing.🙃. Anyway pixelscrapper had a lot of multi layouts. Good for ideas. I love your page, Very sweet. Hugs Angela

Lynnecrafts said...

Your photo montages are lovely and remind me that I mean sometime to go to the Iske of Man. Since my parents spent a wedding anniversary there and I was born 9 months later, I always reckon I was conceived there!
Silver is looking fine; Bella’s sending her purrs.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 9 xx

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Both your scrapbook pages are gorgeous. I love photography too, and still have a Vivitar 35 mm camera I used in college, as well as some dark room equipment that I got second hand. However, I haven't had a darkroom setup in over 30 years. Perhaps I will again someday. Happy WOYWW!

Julia Dunnit said...

I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment Elizabeth, but I’m rubbish at multi photo pages, I totally get the room issue and I am trying. In the last ten days I’ve made six LOs and four of them are single photo…talk about comfort zone! Your neice and nephew will be delighted with the albums when you present them, what a marvellous gift…legacy in fact. Silver continues to be the most photogenic kitty doesn’t she…I bet there will be more pics of her than flowers eventually!

Twiglet said...

I think I would have to fill my pages with photos - just to make the most of each page. I love what you've done with your pages. Enjoy some cool crafting. It's a scorcher here today. x x Jo 🌈

Helen said...

Fascinating post to read about your life with cameras - my dad got me interested in it too, he developed his own (black and white obviously in those days) before I was born and I did some too for a while. I still have my previous 35mm film camera before I went digital but not sure I'd remember how to use it properly now. Loving the layouts, whether single or multi photo page. Happy WOYWW Helen #3

LesleyG said...

Isn’t it funny how cats love to sit on what we’re doing 😃. The first layout is pretty and adorable, your second so thoughtful. There is merit to both, but like you I prefer to have multi photos, to make the most of the space. I also know how important these memories are for those we leave behind. I can’t remember who said it, but written words mean so much, giving the details of names, places and events. Albums are really good for those suffering from dementia. Well done for using your stash too! xxx

BJ said...

Well I'm glad the works near you have benefitted you. Nothing from around us will do the same for us. The dorma nextdoor but one will now overlook our back garden and the house nextdoor but one the other way has taken away the vista we had from our garden. Both due to finish by Christmas if we are lucky. The 17 new homes at the end of the cul-de-sac behind us will only increase the bottle neck exiting the cul-de-sac and add to the rat run at the front - all a bit of a nightmare really. End date for that a rather vague 2028! Just glad the newly vacuumed air-con is back running well, thought I was dying as it struggled reducing he temperature in my room.
Well done you on the spending freeze - it's amazing what we have stashed and your page is really gorgeous, love the soft florals and the splash of black of the camera itself from the 80's. Yes the odd single photo page is fine but yay to the multi photo pages. Loved the walk down memory lane re cameras. My mother gave me my first "proper" camera so it was probably from the 60's too an Olympus Pen which took half frames so I got double photos from a standard film. I use my phone camera these days and take simply LOADS of photos it's like my pictorial diary really. Hugs Bj#11

Sarah Brennan said...

Love the idea of the 3x4 photos - they look great on a page Elizabeth. But so does the page of your niece. The camera layout is brilliant too. Meow to Silver. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful work 👏 and I also love ❤️ cats. Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦