Wednesday 9 December 2020

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - Week 601

 Afternoon Everyone,

Another Wednesday and another chance to pop over to Julia's Stamping Ground to check out What's On Your Workdesks. I'm expecting to read lots of lovely reports on Saturday's celebration Zoom Crop which I was devastated to miss. I just don't have the technology. Yet! I'm working on it. Maybe by the next one I'll be all up and running. In the meantime, here's what's on my desk today.

It's a bit messy but I've just completed one page and am now working on another for the Scrap Squad's 12 Days of Christmas Challenge on Facebook. The Christmas tree shape is made up of hundreds of 1" squares of patterned paper. I exaggerate, of course. It's actually 45 squares. There is, I'm sure, several ways of cutting our so many squares - some more a fiddle than others but, thankfully, I just happened to have a square punch that was the perfect size. Sticking with my intention to use as much old stash as possible this month I've used papers kits that came free with the now sadly defunct Scrapbook Magazine. That makes them very old indeed but they are still too pretty to toss. There's a little selection of photos to the left. They're there because I can't decide which to scrap. I will. Eventually. 

I've not managed much in the way of crafting since last week - a few cards, scroll down to the previous post for a wee look-see, and this couple of layouts.

The title and some of the starry embellishments have been in my possession since I started scrapping some 24 years ago. I've been trying to find the perfect reason to use the title in particular and this photo is it. Putting up the bunting - beautifully made by our very own LLJ a few years ago - has become very much a Christmas tradition for the EM. 

Now for a very rare enabling spot from me.
Sequins are in, especially for scrapbooking, at the moment so I thought this punch would be very useful - for cardmaking too. The punched shapes are larger than the average sequin - just short of 2" wide. 
I tried these two different cardstocks - shiny gold and black glitter - and found the shiny card gave the best results. I did buy the black glitter especially just for this purpose thinking it would be perfect, but not so. 

And finally, the book bit, back by no special request. 

'Quite' by Claudia Winkleman is an entertaining read with more than a few laugh out loud moments. This is a memoir with a difference. It's more a sharing of Claudia's observations on topics that mean much to her, e.g. the wearing of black, melted cheese, and the importance of naps. The chapter on the NHS, and nurses in particular, is very moving. Even if you are not a total fan, I'd recommend this book - it's a bit of fun, and right now we need fun. 

And that's it from me this week. I hope you are having a brilliant WOYWW and the coming week is a good one. 

11 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

You were missed! I’m sure there’ll be plenty more meet ups in the future so hope you manage to get the tech to join in xx Aww, I’m really touched about the bunting, I’m glad it’s still going and that the EM enjoyed putting it up so much xx. Those LOs are fab and I think the Christmas tree made of squares is brilliant (surely there must be way more than 45 though....). But the enabling is great! Sequins are so hard to stick to card so a flatter card version is a stroke of genius, I bet you’ll use that loads!
Hugs LLJ 10 xxx

Catriona said...

I love the Christmas tree-genius that you had a paper punch! Thanks for the book recommendation-I had looked at it so shall probably now buy it.

Chana Malkah said...

Your cards are lovely, Elizabeth! I also like your page layouts, nice work, indeed!

Hugz,
Chana Malkah, #31

Helen said...

We did miss you on Saturday - hope you can join in next week. Because of the position of my computer all anyone could see of me was the top of my head (working on the floor) unless I popped up for a moment, lol!! the book sounds great fun, I like Claudia, although I do wish she'd cut her fringe.... Happy WOYWW and have a good week. Love the cards. helen #3

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, Saturday was great and can't wait to do it again, sorry you couldn't make it. I thought I'd never get to the posts today, three deliveries of craft stuff, one delivery of a surprise raffle prize, walking dogs, sorting mum's vaccination, trying to finish some cards and that's without the usual stuff like cooking Lol!Loving your card collection and the journal layout too. Wishing you a lovely creative week, Angela x19x

Felicia said...

Elizabeth! So sorry you couldn't make it Saturday, I know that must be very frustrating to not have the technology!! Maybe the next go around you will be all caught up!! I absolutely love your cards! So beautiful!! And...24 years of scrapping! Wow! I never got into scrapping, but 24 years is a true love of it for sure! I love sequins and that punch is too cute! I would think anything metallic would go good on them too, but who knows? LOL Have a great rest of your week! Blessings, Felicia #29

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry you were missed at the zoom meeting on Saturday. I don't have ANY equipment, and I still was able to see everyone, even if they couldn't see me. I love your layout of your husband adding the bunting. I won one of Jan's buntings that year, too. Happy WOYWW from #2.

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth,what a clever little punch that is! I have a number of sequins, bought in little multi containers from The Range, they'll probably last a few lifetimes, lol.Love the layout, thats a fab title.Gorgeous cards too. Stay safe, have a lovely week, hugs, Shaz #12. x

Sarah Brennan said...

Sorry you couldn't make it to the Zoom meets elizabeth, it didn't feel like a proper crop without you. Love the layouts. Apart from my daily drawings I have done very little. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Spyder said...

Love the inches Christmas Tree. I used to be on a swap for Inchies and I've still got loads...now youve given me an idea! Scap book pages look great! Have a great WOYWW week, Stay Safe. ((Lyn)) #15

Shoshi said...

What a lovely busy, industrious desk, Elizabeth. The giant sequins are something really different - never seen that before! Sorry you didn't make it to the Zoom last week.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #18