Wednesday 26 August 2020

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - Week 586

 Morning WOYWWers and All,

It's still morning - just! It's been a while ... months actually ... but I'm finally feeling as though I have the energy, and the time, to join in with you all again. Mr W is recovering well from his most recent stay in the hospital - hopefully his last too. Many thanks for all your good wishes. I'm sure they have helped us pull through. Enough of that, it's onward and upward for us from now on. And so to the desk.

It's looking not to messy this morning. It's taken me weeks to even think about any kind of crafting, be it with paper or fabric even, but I have got back into scrapping. That's mainly thanks to the encouragement of the cyber crops and challenges being organised online by Mind The Scrap, etc.. The virus might have prevented us from going to real live crops but it hasn't stopped us meeting up cyberly - so to speak. The page in progress is one for the family history album (FHA). That's a pic of me and my baby brother with our dad taken in 1949 - so long ago! Here's one I finished yesterday, also for the FHA.

That's me in 1948. I'm somewhere between 6 and 8 months I think. The photo was taken in the back garden of the cottage we lived in then., No. 2 Pear Tree Cottages, Marchwood, in Hampshire, which was as idyllic as it sounds. Because most of the old family photos are very small compared with the 6"x4" we are more used to today, I scanned and enlarged the original sepia photo but included both in the layout. I know it's recommended that we keep the originals and preserve them for posterity but, truth is, it's much more probable that I'm saving them from landfill by including them in my layouts. The completed FHA is more likely to be handed down through the family. 

I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things some time in the future but there's no book bit this week. Instead, I'm sharing this delightful photo of books. 
I'm sure some of you will have already spotted it on Facebook but I thought it was so clever it was worth sharing here. 

That's it from me this week. I'm looking forward to catching up with you all, over at The Stamping Ground,  but I should say it could take me the entire week to read and comment on your blogs. Apologies in advance but please bear with me ... I'll get to you all eventually.

Take care and stay safe.

16 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

Brilliant to see that you are feeling well enough to join in again Elizabeth and glad to hear that Alan is on the mend too. What a beautiful layout and a great idea to use both versions of the photo. I love the idea of a family history scrapbook. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I was so happy to see your name on the linky list today!! Hooray, it made me smile! I'm glad that you're both getting there slowly and it's great that you feel up to a little scrapbooking. It's such a sweet pic of you, I have something similar of me too.
Hugs and lots o love,
LLJ 5 xxx

Marit said...

So glad you are feeling better and back at woyww, and that your hubby is doing ok too. I love the layout, the colours match the old photos so well! I saw the 'book photo' on FB and it made me think back of the time I posted 'booktitle haikus' on my blog every week... so fun to do (I run out of titles eventually...) Happy woyww, stay well and safe. Big hug from Holland, Marit #18

Neet said...

Pear Tree Cottage sounds wonderful and idyllic. Conjures up pictures of children playing happily with not a care in the world and brings me back to earth with a bump when I think of the children today with this dreadful virus ahead of them. However, most parents are sensible and it will not have affected the tiny ones at all.
So sorry you have suffered for such a long time and so sorry about Alan too. I do hope you both are well on the way to much better health and eventually are free from the effects of it all.
When I was going in hospital last week I worried and thought about your Alan, one week to go before my quarantine is up (self imposed) and as what people said `I thought of you two.
Glad you are up to doing a bit of crafting but don't overdo things, you must only do what your body is able to, no pushing yourself please. We all want to see that lovely smiling fae at the next crop, as when it is.
Take care, stay safe and well from now on.
Hugs, Neet 7 xx

Annie said...

Wahooooo. It's so good to have you back. I've really missed you. Onward and upward as you say and here's to getting back to a bit of normality....be it the new normality eh?
Love the photo of you...I bet we can all find something similar.
Hugs,
Annie x #10

Helen said...

Great to see you back sharing your desk again and your scrapping. Glad that Alan is recovering; what an awful time you've both had! Take care Helen #1

Caro said...

So good to see you back on the desks. I really hope that this is the end of the health issues for you both. The books made me smile so much. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe, with love and God Bless, Caro xx (#11)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's been a difficult time for us all one way or another but at least you're starting to feel more like a bit of crafting now. Wishing you a very happy week and a creative woyww, Angela x13x

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, so happy to hear you are both doing well. Two lovely layouts there, Love the one of you sitting on the blanket. I think we all have pictures of us like that at that age. I totally agree the internet has been such a godsend in this pandemic, so many crafters doing online workshops and so on. Stay safe, have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz` #3 X

Robyn said...

looks like you've been away form awhile too. So grateful for continuity of community!
robyn 2

Sandra H said...

So happy to see your bothfeeling much better and wow love your cards stay safe and take care x

Susan Renshaw said...

Lovely idea to display both the original and new version of your photo!
Sorry I am so late visiting!
Stay safe, keep well...happy WOYWW, Susan #19

Crafting With Jack said...

Happy to hear you and your husband are feeling better. Pear Tree Cottage does sound idyllic. Enjoy your crafting Angela #29

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Lovely desky share, your first in a while too, Elizabeth, and sorry I’m late... again... 😁
It’s been quite a year hasn’t it.
I do love your layouts, esp love that you’ve enlarged one and added the real one as well, and love the classic simplicity of the layout as well. Love your hook case took a screen shot if it as it wouldn’t save any other way, must stare with my friend,
Praying you’re both feeling much stronger each day that passes ..
Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too, especially in these unusual times, a blessing to rest simply in Him! Praying you’re all of you... are kept well too!
Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x 😊

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Zoe Tant said...

Love the scrapbook layout. Such pretty detailing Zoe X

Shoshi said...

I am glad that both you and your hubby are feeling better now, Elizabeth. Lovely layout with you as a baby. I've got loads of those tiny black and white photos from my youth in the 50s too, and old family albums of Mum and Dad. Fond memories! I agree - sometimes it's worth using the originals in craft projects - not only do they preserve them, but you also look at them more often too. I love the book picture at the end - how clever is that!

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #8