Thursday 14 January 2016

Snowy Birthday

Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you are having a lovely day. Many thanks to you all for your lovely comments, I so enjoy reading them and they are all much appreciated.

Today I have the card that I was working on yesterday to share - scroll down to spot the early stages on my desk. I'm not one to make resolutions but, instead, I do start the year with aims. This card fits into one of my primary aims - to make flatter cards, that is with less bulk and embellishments, so that I don't need to take out a mortgage every time I visit the Post Office! This card is the first of 2016.
It's also a practice piece. I was trying to get a certain look using this gorgeous Penny Black stamp and failed miserably so it will be back to the drawing board to try again. In the meantime, not wanting to waste my efforts entirely, I just had to  make a card with it anyway and I don't think it looks too bad after all. 

Materials used:
  • cardstock - snippets of white for stamping, and dark brown and silver for matting and layering
  • stamps - Penny Black Berry Red, Snow White for main image; Scenic Stamps Woodland Cottage for the greeting
  • inks. - Tim Holtz Crushed Olive; VersaMark
  • embossing - white Woodware Fluffy Stuff - a paint that puffs up when heated to give the effect of snow; Papermania Seafoam White powder for greeting
  • glue - Liquid Pearls Rouge for the berries
  • a white card blank measuring 4" x 6" trimmed to suit the size of the topper
To make the topper I stamped the image in the olive green and dotted the berries with the red liquid glue for added dimension. When this was dry I used the fluffy stuff to create undulating lines, creating what I hope looks something like snowdrifts. Once complete, the topper was trimmed, then matted and layered before attaching it to the card blank which also had to be trimmed down. The greeting was stamped with VersaMark on to a tiny snippet of brown card, embossed with the white powder and then matted on to another scrap of the silver card.   

I love the Snowy Birthday greeting ... it's perfect for winter birthday cards. So many people I know have birthdays at this time of the year and it is so nice to be able to create cards with wintry scenes specially for them. 

I'm submitting the card to the following challenges:

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 211 - where the challenge is to always use snippets.

Winter Wonderland Challenge 175 - Week 2

That's me done for this evening. It's an hour or two on the sofa, in front of the telly, with my crochet this evening, keeping my DH company. I hope your evening is just as pleasant.

12 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Oh this is just so pretty, I love the red berry stamp and he fluffystuff. Just perfect for a winter birthday, enjoy your evening, Kate x

Barb said...

What a lovely card this is Elizabeth. Everything works really well. I have a winter birthday and would love a card like this. Barbxx

Jo said...

Beautiful....love the scene you've created, those snowdrifts look wonderful!
hugs Jo x

Rita said...

I think you card is stunning Elizabeth. The snow scene is looking perfect. Hope you are both well. Hugs Rita xxxx

Jackie said...

OMG Elizabeth, I seem to have missed so much of your recent work, and what beautiful work it is too. I love those pyjama cases and this is such a pretty stamp and card :o)
Jackie xx

Jane Willis said...

I was looking forward to seeing what you did with this image, it's made a really beautiful card
Jane

meg said...

What a beautiful scene Elizabeth the berries look as though they have loads of dimension, love your card.

Cheri Burry said...

I love your winter scene... very pretty and I hear you about the postage LOL! Thanks for playing along over at Art Impressions in our Challenge!

Di said...

'Tis a beautiful card! I have that stamp and you used it perfectly Elizabeth. A lovely Wintery card indeed :)

Hugs

Di xx

Krisha said...

What a pretty card......LOVE the simplicity of it. Just GORGEOUS!!

Jean said...

Oh Elizabeth I love your wintry birthday card, it is so pretty. The stamp you used is gorgeous, and I really like the dimension you achieved with the red berries.
Jean x

Karen Day said...

Elizabeth - this turned out beautifully! I bet it's quite glimmery in real life, too. Thanks for joining our Winter Wonderland challenge at Art Impressions!