Friday 24 February 2012

Creating a Scene for Christmas - It's Rudolph Day

Hello to you all,

Here I am at the end of a busy day and it's not been bad at all. My DH was at the hospital today and has been declared officially free of cancer - yippee! It's been a long five years and we're so glad it's all over :)

After the obligatory domestic stuff this morning I managed to slip into the craft space for a bit of R&R this afternoon.

Hazel over at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - #60 - set us the task of creating a scene and here's what I came up with.


I've been recycling again ... the idyllic winter scene was cut out of another commercially bought card we received two Christmases ago! I have added glitter glue (Stickles Crystal) to it and then backed it with a die-cut that is also edged with glitter glue (Stickles Burgundy). I've added sprays of holly (Penny Black Winter Bough) embossed with transparent crystal powder (Stamp 'N Stuff) to a white card base and strips of iridescent glue on the front and inside edges. Finally, I've embellished it with some red card candy in the corners.


I really like the effect of the embossing, subtle but pretty. I thought this stamp, one of my favourites from Docrafts,  Penelope & Percy, Christmas Greetings, appropriate for the scene.

As well as submitting this card to CHNC, I will be entering it over at Sandra's, Stamping for Pleasure, for February's Rudolph Day tomorrow when Mr Linky is up and running - it's my first entry for this challenge as I was too late discovering it in January.

Okay, I'd better get a wriggle on if I want to get over to Hazel's before the challenge closes.

Happy Crafting,

16 comments:

Hazel said...

I'm so glad to hear the news of your husband. Your card is gorgeous. Thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 60 - hope you'll be able to join in the new challenge that starts in the morning. x

Jo said...

That's fantastic news about your husband!!Your card is fabulous - love the image - how great that you've recycled & that red card candy just looks great!Hope you have a lovely weekend!
Jo x

Little K Smith said...

A lovely crimbo card, love all the sparkle!
And fabulous news for your hubby too :)
Kelly.x

Hazel said...

Btw, in the comment you just left on my blog (thanks) you asked how on earth did I trace the card back to 2007 - easy, I've got a search facility on my blog, so just put in "black and white" and found the earliest. x

Jackie said...

That's wonderful news for you and your husband.....hugs
A beautifully balanced card, a great way to recycle. I am in the process of making toppers from my old Christmas cards :o)
Jackie xx

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Brilliant news about your husband, you must both be so relieved. Lovely card and well done for going down the recycling route. I always go through through our cards when they are taken down to retrieve anything i think I can use again (not the hand made one, though -they are kept for posterity.) Have a very good week. xx Maggie #1

Di said...

Great card Elizabeth, so soft too - but even more great is the news about the EM being cancer free!! Doing little happy dances here for you. Have a wonderful weekend!! Di xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

That's such good news about your husband. Am really pleased for you both. Lovely card too. Zo xx

sue w. said...

Hi Elizabeth, Just found your blog through Sandra's stamping for pleasure and had to leave you a comment, So very pleased for you both on receiving such wonderful news x x
Your card is super, such a lovely winter scene. Have become a follower too.
Hugs Sue W.

coops said...

so pleased you hubby is now cancer free, that is a huge acheivement and a huge relief for you all.i love your card, stunning design and the scenic image is gorgeous ;D

xx coops xx

Sarn said...

Woot woot . . . such great news about being Cancer-free. CONGRATULATIONS.

Lovely scenic Rudolph Day card and subtle embossing. AND some recycling going on. Perfect.

Good luck in the prize draw.
Hugs,
Sarn

Vicky Hayes said...

I bet there's been singing and dancing in the streets (!) of Ayr - lovely to hear the news about your husband! What a good idea to recycle your old cards - I love the embossed background you've made for it.

Craftychris said...

OOOh that is brilliant news about your husband, I am so pleased for your both! Your card is lovely too xx

Bernie said...

Oh Elizabeth I'm SOOOO happy to hear about your DH I'm sure the news was a relief!!! I Love the subtle embossing on this card, it is so pretty! Fantastic design as well.
Hugs & Blessings
Bernie

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! wow, congratulations for your husband's good news; waiting for that milestone must have been a long one. this is such a beautiful card - i love everything about it; the clear embossing (love that pb stamp), the burgundy glitter and the glitter strips.

Erin said...

Your cards are absolutely amazing!!! I'm hosting a handmade card swap on my blog and would love it if you would join us!
http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-card-exchange-wanna.html