Friday 17 February 2012

Snippet Cards ... an exercise in using up the tiniest scraps

Afternoon Everyone

Just back from a half hour trudge walk along the prom ... it's rainy and blustery out there today and it would have been wiser to stay home.

Two teeny weeny cards to share with you today.


This first is the one that was in the early stages of construction on my WOYWW post this week. It's intended for Hazel's CHNC Challenge 59: feature an angel or a fairy  - I haven't submitted a card to Hazel for a good many weeks but I thought this little angel would be perfect for this week's challenge.

Measuring only 4" square it is made up of bits and pieces that I've been squirrelling away forever - origin long forgotten. However, I can tell you that the embossing folder is the V&A Hanoverian from Docrafts, the image is from Crafty Individuals Miniatures, Merry Christmas pad and the gold snowflake was included in the candy I won from Jude's last year - thanks Jude, it's perfect for here :) The chipboard shapes are from Docrafts, Papermania Frames and Flourishes. I altered them from plain white to this metallic finish by heat embossing with a mix of gold EP, WOW EP in Bark Regular and copper glitter too ... I stopped short at throwing in the kitchen sink :))


I threw caution to the wind entirely and decorated the inside and the back with lengths of the gingham ribbon.


The second card, at only 3½" square, is even smaller. I think, if I remember correctly, the pink polka dot card came from a commercially produced card someone sent me. Unlike Julia of Stamping Ground fame, whose rule for all the little bits is not to keep them, I throw nothing away ... well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but if it is pretty I find it hard to throw it away, and anything with polka-dots is just too pretty to toss. I've long forgotten the origin of little heart-shaped ribbon sliders. The flower is handmade using gathered ribbon, a Prima flower and a pink pearl. The butterfly was cut out of one of the birthday cards I received ... the only additions are pink ink along the edges and Liquid Pearls down its spine.


I decided it would make a perfect little 'thank you' card.

Both cards being what they are, all snippets and leftovers, they should be perfect for submission to Di's Pixie's Crafty Snippets - Challenge Number 7. The second could be a record-breaker - the smallest card ever submitted to the Snippets Challenge!

Oh, and before I forget, nothing, absolutely nothing, new was bought and used in the making of these cards ... they are therefore:


Ah, it's pouring with rain again, just as it was earlier on the promenade - here's the signpost that shows we walked half a mile ... that's half a lang (long) mile, so in fact, we walked more than half a mile ... no wonder I was jiggered :))


You might be thinking that it looks quite fair there, not much sign of rain ... well, here's the proof:


My glasses! And the passengers that are just out of focus - they are gifts from our children and grandchildren and so have become our constant travelling companions :)

Right, I'm off to do a bit of blog-hopping and catch up with what some of you have been up to recently, but before I go I'd like to extend a warm welcome to my new follower, Lizzy. Her blog, No Time Like The Present shows that she is a scrapbooker and quilt maker with a great many other interests too.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

Happy Crafting,

10 comments:

Hazel said...

Well done for braving the elements for your walk - rather you than me! Your cards are delightful - and your angel is perfect for the challenge - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 59 - I've just been preparing the new challenge for tomorrow - perhaps you'll be able to join in again x

Julia Dunnit said...

Lovely job Elizabeth, both cards are really nice. I work quite often on4" square cards and like them very much! I should quantify my wastefulness by saying that I only get rid of it if it's smaller than my small cards or too short to wrap around!

Di said...

Both fabulous Elizabeth! Yup, I think you could have the record so far in the playground for the tiniest card - just perfect as always. Loved the extra passengers in your car BTW :) Di xx

Jackie said...

Two beautiful cards Elizabeth. At least you got some fresh air despite it being very wet :o)
Jackie xx

Sarn said...

Super four inchers there Elizabeth. Now raining here too, had to rush out and grab the washin in! x

Bernie said...

These are simply Beautiful! Cold & dreary here, rianing for most of the week and expected to continue. At least the snow is melting. The daffs I said I saw turned out to be weeds. Nothing stops them. Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings Bernie

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I think that if you are by the sea, it is still good even when the rain is pouring and the wind blowing hard. It blows all your cares away and puts life into perspective. Thank you for your visit and you certainly know how to boost a person's ego with your comments. xx Maggie

Sally H said...

Two really fab cards, Elizabeth! I have been making a few smaller ones recently too after getting some freebie small card blanks. Great snippet makes!

Craftychris said...

Both your cards are fabulous and I'm glad you had a nice walk xx

SandeeNC said...

wow, I am impressed because I am a fair weather walker only. It's raining here today and I haven't budged from the house! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)