Friday 24 February 2012

Flashback Friday - First Black & White Card Made

Hi Folks

Here's a fun little challenge I've just discovered over at Amy's blog - Flashback Friday Challenge. Jen, the guest designer, has challenged us to show our first black and white card. I didn't really have to look too far back through my posts to this one posted in 19th July 2011 - just one of my favourite projects, ever :)


This card, made especially for my husband for our 15th wedding anniversary, was inspired by Sarah's (Sasa) first Mojo Monthly. I took her idea of re-using photographs in a different way, in this case photos from a visit to Dunaskin Heritage Centre, some of which can be seen here. Using MS Publisher I changed the photos from colour to black & white and shrunk them down to 2" x 1.5" and printed out onto glossy paper. It was easy enough to cut them all out using a guillotine. The base is made from black leather-look card and the photos are layered on to white textured card.


The insert is simply white copy paper decorated with Inkadinkado's Steampunk Flourish stamp (won on ebay) and sentiments from Inkylicious. And yes, that is a black smudge you can see there. This was my second attempt at the insert too - the first one, I stamped it up in portrait instead of landscape orientation :( 

I've made one or two more black and white card since, the most recent just a couple of days ago, because I really like the crispness the it produces.

This is the 20th Flashback Friday challenge and to celebrate Amy is offering a very generous prize package of 20 items to match the 20th challenge (value $95!!!)  Looks gorgeous doesn't it.


All you have to do is join in her blog hop here and visit the past Guest Designers and link up your own first B&W card. 

So grab a cuppa and join the hop, post a photo of your first black and white card, and you might just be the lucky winner.

Now I'm off to get that cuppa and start hopping :)

Happy Crafting,


14 comments:

~amy~ said...

What a FAB black & white card! I love the idea of using photos...excellent! Thanks so much for helping us celebrate Flashback Friday 20.0!!

Rose said...

WOW!! what a treasure this is :) LOVE the use of photos!!!

so glad you joined us for the fun on FBF 20.0 :)

Unknown said...

Such an awesome idea...I'm sure your hubby loved this fantastic card! Happy early 16th anniversary for this year...it's coming up fast! Thanks for joining my black&white challenge at Amy's Flashback Friday...you are so sweet!
Jen

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

What a wonderful idea! Just perfect for this challenge and all around a great gift too.
Thanks for joining in the FBF fun!!!

Sylvia said...

Wow, Elizabeth, that is such a fabulous anniversary card! thanks for joining in the fun at Flashback Friday 20.0.

I lived just outside Pitcaple, Scotland in 1990-1994 and loved it!

nessy said...

wow ~stunning card in black and white ~love it!!
vanessa xx

Rita said...

What a lovely card Elizabeth. Your husband will love it I'm sure. Congratulations on your anniversary too. Hugs Rita xxx

Linby said...

What a great idea and such a personal card. Thanks for joining in with FF20.
Linyx

Els said...

What a great personalised project!! love it! thanks for playing along with us!

Emily Keaton said...

How gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting your very first black/white creation for Flashback Friday 20.0!!

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

A fabulous black and white card - I guessed it might have been for your hubby before I started to read your post.

Love the stamp you have used inside too!

Good luck in winning all of those lovely goodies.

Love Jules xx

Karen said...

Hi Elizabeth - well done on and Anniversary and also for your hubby and his five year cancer free - great news. Sorry I can't share my morphine for your root canal, I need it myself. Hope all went well and it's not too painful for you. Karen x

Craftychris said...

What a fab idea for a card, a gorgeous keepsake! I bet your hubby was very pleased xx

White Card said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. The anniv gift is so adorable. :)