Wednesday 19 March 2014

Shades of Green Card ... and in my garden today

Hello Everyone

Happy Wednesday to you all. It's another bright but blustery day here ... The Boss isn't too happy with that - she hates windy weather. Because of my bad shoulder I'm still trying to stay off the keyboard for long stretches and that, sadly, means not participating in What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday. Much as I would love to I won't be able to type too many comments :(

Fortunately, I have a wee catalogue of cards already made up and not posted so will be sharing one at a time until back to normal. Today I have this Christmas card to share.
Another of my attempts to use up pretty patterned paper. This particular paper, Basic Grey Origins Seaweed Wrap, was leftover from another project. A double-sided paper, one side being flowery and not at all suitable for a Christmas card, the other being non-specific and perfect, I thought, for a very green card.

For the topper I've recycled a card received over Christmas 2013 ... I loved the photo of the mistletoe with the glittered word, Noel, stamped over it, so just trimmed the front down to a suitable size and matted it on to a snippet of white card.

It's not too visible in the photos but there's a bellyband made from smooth green card - more leftovers. The upper and lower edge were punched, using a Martha Stewart arch punch, and dark green organza ribbon (from stash) wrapped around before adhering it to the front of the card.

The embellishments consist of a bow decorated with a green gem brad ... it's from an old Docrafts set, perhaps 2 years old ... and a green card candi (Craftworks Vintage Berries mix) in the four corners.

 

Inside and back decorated with strips of the patterned paper matted on to the green cardstock.

I'm submitting the card to the following challenges:

Hazel's two Christmas Challenges - CHNC challenge 168: Going green ... a little or a lot - I've gone for a lot! ... and CHNC challenge extra for March where, as always, anything goes as long as it it Christmas.

Then there's Hazel's Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper March challenge - anything goes as long as the card front is covered with patterned paper.

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 116 - it's my second trip to the playground this week :)

Fan-Tastic Tuesday Challenge # 27 ... anything goes as long as it's square

Craft Your Passion  Challenge 205 ~ Go Green - this card is definitely green :)

That's the crafting bit done but I know many of you are interested in gardening and, more specifically, what is happening in our new garden. Now that spring has arrived every day is proving to be full of exciting discoveries ... all those dull borders and bare branches are bursting into bloom. So I thought I'd share the excitement with you by posting at least one photo in every post. Here's today's shot.
Ribes sanguineum ... common name Flowering Current. It has a rather pungent, and not altogether pleasant, smell but the pretty flower is compensation enough for that.

Right, I'm off to rest this beastly shoulder for an hour or so but will be back tomorrow, I hope.

Enjoy your day.

Happy crafting and happy gardening too :)

12 comments:

Di said...

Hi Elizabeth! Wow, what a gorgeous Christmas card - brilliant upcycling too!

And your flowering currant looks fabulous - that's the fun of moving into a house with things already growing in the garden, surprises! Err, even if the whiff reminds me of pussy cat tiddles.

Hugs

Di
xx

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Design, love all the texture..thank you so much for sharing with us over at Fan-Tastic Tuesday we would love you to join us again next week for another fab challenge...Good Luck
Hugs
Suzy B~Owner~Fan~Tastic Tuesday
Xx

scrappymo! said...

Enjoyed the blossom as I have not seen that flower before!

Your card is lovely. Great to be able to use that gorgeous NOEL. I can see the shimmer on it in your photo!

cass said...

Pretty card, lovely design, thanks for joining us at Fan-Tastic Tuesday this week.

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful card Elizabeth.

Sandra H said...

Beautiful card as always Elizabeth and your flower is truly lovely too! x

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card Elizabeth. Aren't we good upcycling last year's cards? I need to start using mine.
Sorry to hear you are injured!
Gentle hugs
xx

MaryH said...

Love these patterned papers you've got on this pretty card. Great recycle on that abstract image for the front of your card too. Lovely ribbon & band to dress it all up, ready for Christmas 2014! TFS the beautiful flowers too, so nice to see Spring arriving around the world. Hope your shoulder is soon all healed & you can get back to doing what you love to do. TFS & Hugs

Mrs A. said...

Water colouring class this week was flowers. I did mine from a picture book but one of the other students came in with that flower from her garden to draw and paint. As I had a spare 5mins the tutor told me to do a small version on a scrap of card and take it home to finish. Now I have your photo to refer to for thee colours. Is that spooky or what!
I love your green recycled card.
I like Di's description of the smell! hugs Mrs A.

Debs Willis said...

I'm not sure what I like best - the Christmas card or the lovely flowering currant! Both bee-oo-ti-ful!
Hugs
Debs x

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering your lovely card for all of my Craftyhazelnut's challenges, Elizabeth x

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card and such clever way to recycle an old Christmas card.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week :D
Lisa x