Sunday 10 November 2013

Caroline's Cat ...

... with faux Bokeh background

Saw this faux Bokeh effect demonstrated on YouTube, liked it, and thought I'd try it out for myself. In fact, there are several demos on YouTube, if you want to check them out here's another two to look at here ... here. New to me, I discovered that Bokeh is a photographic term that means blurred ... and looks like this.

The circle stamp was cut out from some leftover grey rubber trimmed from a stamp plate ... I'd saved these with quite another project in mind, but they came in very hand for this one :)

The topper background is another one made by swiping ink pads over it, this time the colours are sand, pink and grey. Inside and back got the Bokeh treatment too.
Materials used:

  • white A6 card base
  • smooth pink card for matting
  • smooth white card for topper
  • Regal Cat stamp from Caroline at Simple Stamps 
  • Archival black ink pad
  • Memento Dew Drop ink pads, Desert Sand, Angel Pink; London Fog
  • Just a Note greeting from Wild Rose Studio's Everyday Greetings
  • pink gems for decoration
I was able to rescue some snippets of pink and white card from the box before it was wrested from my grasp to be taken over to it's new home yesterday, thus enabling me to finish this card and submit it to Pixie's Snippet Playground - Week 98.  Pink again! I'm clearly going through a pink phase ... Di will be pleased :))

I hope you like the faux Bokeh effect and might try it for yourself, probably with much better results! It's easy to do and I can see it being suitable for one layer cards and those clean and simple ones that I am so bad at :))

Hope you are all having a super Sunday.

Thanks for taking the time to look, your comments are always much appreciated.

Happy crafting,

10 comments:

Jenny L said...

Hi Elizabeth,
thank you so much for your visit to me and your very kind comments.
What a great card this idea sounds very interesting.
Love your colours used.
Lots of love. Jenny L.

Darnell said...

I love you faux Bokeh effect, Elizabeth! You make me want to give this a try! Wonderful snippets card!! Hugs, Darnell

Jackie said...

Fabulous card and I love your backing :o)
Jackie xx

Di said...

Oooh yes, of course I love the pink Elizabeth and what a fabulous Bokeh effect. We're learning something new all zee time in zee Playground. Purrfect card for a cat lover of course!

I've been wondering what your plans are for Bonnie when she moves to ensure she settles in OK? Butter on the paws perhaps? :)

Hugs, and don't wear yourself out this week - MD is almost here!

Di xx

Sandra H said...

Brilliant card Elizabeth x

Pat said...

This is a very clever idea and love the cat, he does look as though he's a cut above the rest.

Cathy said...

This effect looks great Elizabeth, fabulous snippets card, I love the kitty image too :) Cathy x

scrappymo! said...

Another wonderful card and you are so close to moving day...you are an inspiration to us all!

The fake bokeh looks so pretty...you have captured that blurry bokeh feeling! Weel done!

Karen Petitt said...

Gorgeous card, love the Bokeh effect xx

MaryH said...

Elizabeth, Was just on a quick zip over to Di's, saw your card & the technique Bokeh, so just had to pop round quickly to read what the heck is this?! Thanks for the links, and will be back when I have a bit longer to spend enjoying your post. Heard today was the big day...so hope you are in the new home tonight, with your bits & pieces at least under roof. Thanks for sharing what looks to be a fascinating new technique to try. Hugs & TFS