Monday 19 November 2018

(Not) In A Vase On Monday - Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Hello Everyone,

Monday again and time to join in with Cathy, Rambling in the Garden, sharing what's in my vase today. Only it definitely isn't a vase this week.
I've had this Rumtopf pot for many years and have to admit that it has never contained the fruity alcoholic concoction it is designed for. Today it's filled with a simple bunch of rose hips from the climber, Arthur Bell. It's a huge climber that grows to about fifteen feet in height. Actually, I think it grew way past that this year, probably due to the very hot summer. It also flowered so much more than in previous years too giving us this lovely harvest of hips.
The pot is too big to put anywhere but on the hearth.

If you have enjoyed this post, and would like to see what others have in their vases today, do please pop over to Cathy's where you will find links to many arrangements more beautiful than mine.

8 comments:

outlawgardener said...

The contents of your Rumtopf pot are intoxicating, even without being soaked in rum. Such a warm hearth.

Cathy said...

Oh that is a big pot of hips - I had forgotten just how big Rumtopf pots were until the last photo of it on the hearth. You will be seeing hips from me in a vase in due course too, Parkdirektor Riggers is always smothered in them. Thanks for sharing yours

Stasher said...

Maybe a rosehip liqueur afterwards? I've just looked up the rose Arthur Bell, what a magnificent yellow floribunda rose. Roses and wonderful hips that's two good things about Arthur Bell. I had one of these Rumtopfs too...it must have been a popular thing then. They days I make small amounts of gin liqueur in sealed kilner jars...as I don't want any alcohol to evaporate. Happy IAVOM

Donna said...

Love the pot and it is filled perfectly with those amazing rose hips

The Shrub Queen said...

Lovely! when I had roses I got 4 hips, you have a wealth of hips. Beautiful. I like the liqeur idea. Filled with Vitamin C as well!

Kris Peterson said...

What a pretty pot! It's the perfect container for the rose hips.

AlisonC said...

I like to have flowers on my hearth and this is perfect.

Annette said...

I'm mad about hips too, Elizabeth, and the pot and background work just perfectly for them. You should try making Rumtopf, it's a delicious winter treat. :) Annette from Annette's Garden