It's Sunday again! I hope you have had a wonderful weekend. I'm back with a snippet card made from the bits and bobs that were on my desk on Wednesday and a new (to me) embossing folder.
I like the colour combination - it's non-traditional but I think it makes a lovely Christmas card. It's based on one by Kelly Lloyd that I spotted in a recent edition of Papercraft Inspirations (Issue 159) using the supplies I had to hand.
How it was made:
- For the topper I dipped into a neglected pack of Black Magic Core'dinations. I chose a pink backed sheet for the base layer and several scraps, with a different shade of pink backing, for the small lower panel and the poinsettias, The full sheet was cut to fit the embossing folder, Crafts-Too's Let It Snow, and passed through my die-cutting machine (Cuttlebug). One of the scraps was placed at the bottom of the folder to be embossed - this ensured that it was embossed with snowflakes only.
- Next, I rubbed the surface of embossed pieces with an emery board to reveal the pinks and then I gilded the surface with silver gilding wax (Pebeo) which covered up much of the pink but left a hint here and there.
- Several sizes of the poinsettias were die-cut from snippets to make one large and one smaller flower. The petals were also rubbed with the emery board and silver waxed then layered up, glued together with silicone gel, and finished off with a silver card candy in each centre
- To put the topper together, I cut the smaller embossed piece to be a fraction smaller than the base piece, then matted both pieces on to silver cardstock before gluing them together in the way you can see in the photo. Next, a piece of pink ribbon - which really is much closer in colour to the pink card base than it looks in the photo - was wrapped around the topper and fixed to the back with sticky tape. I then tied a bow round the ribbon - I find doing it this way is the easier method.
- The topper was then adhered to pink card base which was made from an A4 sheet cut to measure 6¾" x 5".
- Finally, the poinsettia flowers were glued in place with silicone gel.
That's another Christmas card made! And I really enjoyed making it too - not least because I was able to use up some long forgotten supplies and get my fingers dirty with gilding wax.
I'd like to submit this card to the following challenges:
No Poldark to watch this evening ... Sunday evenings just won't be the same! I'll have to console myself with the Strictly result show.
Enjoy your evening, whatever you are doing.