Just enjoyed a ghoulish hour or so watching the Halloween Strictly - brilliant! Hope you are having a creeeeepy evening too. No bonfires and fireworks here tonight, the weather is dire - enough rain to dampen any witches spirits :)
It's been quite some time since I posted a recipe so I thought I'd remedy that tonight with one of my favourite ways of cooking eggs.
Potato, Leek & Cheese Tortilla
- Butter for sauteing
- 1 small leek or half a large one, sliced thinly and washed
- 225g cooked potatoes, (about 1-2 medium sized)
- 6 eggs
- 85g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dried herbs or 1 tablespoon fresh herbs finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Melt a knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan
- Saute the leek in the melted butter for about 5 mins until softened
- Cut potatoes in half and into slices about 0.5cm thick
- Beat the eggs, add seasoning to taste, then stir in the cheese and herbs
- Add a little extra butter to the pan if needed here
- Add the potatoes to the leeks, then pour in the egg mixture.
- Turn the heat to low, then cook for 10 mins until almost set
- Place under a hot grill for a couple of mins more until the top is bubbling and golden.
- Slice into wedges and serve with a salad.
I did hold back some of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top of the tortilla before popping it under the grill - I love grilled cheese :)
Note: this is a great dish for making leeks palatable for those who are not fond of the noble vegetable.
Hope you give it a try and do let me know what you think if you do.