Friday 9 May 2014

Birds Flying High - and Friday Smile

Hello Everyone

Birds flying high
You know how I feel
Sun in the sky
You know how I feel

Well, there I was just thinking what to call this cushion when Birds Flying High came to mind and with that the lyrics to the song - and now I have this earworm playing repeatedly in my head :) 
The idea for the cushion top came to me after cutting out the two pieces for Bertie Birdie which came free, along with Cedric the Cat, from a recent issue of HomeMaker Magazine.  (Cedric can be seen in this post here). The instructions were to sew the two pieces together, stuff it and add a loop of ribbon to hang it up with, but then I had a think and then I thought the two pieces would look great appliqued on to something. 
And then one thing led to another ... a circle of yellow cotton for the 'sun', blue/white patterned for the 'clouds' and the 'meadow' from a scrap of green print.
The base is a plain white cotton from my local shop and the border is from an aqua/white polka dot half metre  brought back from holiday last year - the same fabric was used for envelope style back.

Materials: cotton fabric - white for front base; turquoise spot for edging and back; scraps of yellow, blue and green fabrics for applique; the Bertie Birdie pieces; white, black, yellow and green cotton thread; batting/wadding; sewing machine



Having that tune playing over and over again in my head prompted me to do a wee search on YouTube and I discovered a couple of great versions of Birds Flying High ... Michael Buble and Nina Simone for example. However, I really enjoyed the one below, the film that accompanies it made me smile so I thought to share it with you and Annie over at A Stitch In Time



Enjoy!


14 comments:

Sue said...

Just catching up with everyones lovely creations and this is stunning Elizabeth! although I haven't turned the song on because if I do it will be in my head all night LOL but I love this cushion! have a great weekend huggles Sue xxx

Caro said...

What a lovely cushion! Now, I have that earworm playing round and round my head too...just as well I like it! Thanks for the smiles. Caro x (#7)

Nan G said...

Lovely pillow brings a smile. Thanks for sharing the video.

Annie said...

Sorry I'm so late calling by this week...I've had an extra day with my munchkins today. :-) Lots and lots of fun and giggles all day.
What a beautiful cushion you've made....love it. Oh and I am now humming that song too :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your pillow is gorgeous, especially because I love birds so much. But I had never heard that song before. I learn something new every day!! have a great weekend.

BumbleVee said...

cute birdies......

Carole Pollard said...

Fabulous project your cushion is amazing love the design its amazing and thanks for sharing this lovely music Love and Happy Crafting Hugs Carole x

Sandra H said...

Oh Elizabeth this is gorgeous xx

Jenny Marples said...

... and I'm feeling good! And now that's in my head for the rest of the night Elizabeth!! LOVE the birdy cushion. What a way to celebrate spring. Jenny x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah Elizabeth.. wodnerful work there... love this applique work what fun it must have been to make - quite resourceful of you love a bit from here and there and lo and lovely cushion great work.. oh and the card below hopping off to take a peek :D smiled at your ear-worm too, Shaz in Oz.x

Jackie said...

What a lovely cushion. It must be very satisfying every time you see it knowing that you have made it. I'm afraid that sewing and me do not mix! :o)
Jackie xx

Bonnie said...

I think this little bird looks much better on a cushion than he would look hanging! Pretty colors!

scrappymo! said...

This has a fun, arty look to it! Great sewing and applique!

Laura said...

Fun cushion. Thanks for the smile :)