Monday 19 May 2014

Butterfly Challenge - Butterfly and Doily

Evening Everyone

I hope this find you well. We've had visitors today, our good friends, B and M, from Dumfries & Galloway popped in on the way to Glasgow.  M is going into the Jubilee Hospital tomorrow to have an angiogram and, depending on the result, possibly have a stent fitted. All being well she will be home, tucked up and sleeping it off, tomorrow evening.

And, a surprise my grandson, William, paid an unexpected visit. The last time B&M saw him was seven years ago when everyone came to ours for Christmas dinner ... my, how time flies!

Of course, this means that I've too busy to do any crafting but, in true Blue Peter tradition, here's one I made earlier, especially intended for Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge - #7.
The requirement for the challenge is to include a butterfly, of course, and a doily so I've used my favourite butterfly die and a really big doily ... bought in a huge pack from a local pound shop - a real bargain. However, it really was an outsize doily and too big to use as it was, so I cut it in two and layered the pieces on top of each other.

The blue/white check patterned paper used to cover the front of the card is a digital paper of unknown origin ... I think it might be from a Crafter's Companion CD, but can't be certain. It was printed out ages ago on the old printer so the result was far from perfect ... I almost binned it at the time but instead tossed it into the scrap drawer. Lucky I did, because with the touch of lilac in the check it is a good match for the topper.

The flowery flourish is another one of the digital images from the recent colouring session ... that certainly was an exercise worth repeating. I trimmed the topper down, stamped the greeting in black and then matted and layered it on to pale blue and dark purple cardstock.

The butterfly was cut from the dark purple and then decorated with clear crystal gems before adding it to the topper.


The back and inside were decorated with strips of the patterned paper.

As I've been typing there's been a thunderstorm raging outside ... complete with very scary lightening! Throughout this The Boss has been curled up on the end of my bed sound asleep ... and they say cats are freaked out by storms!

Right, I'm off to potter for an hour or so at the craft desk.

Hope you are having a great evening ... and that tomorrow is a very good day too.

Happy Crafting,

Materials used: Base - white card; Patterned Paper - print out from a CD; Cardstock - white card (Neenah Solar), sky blue (Papermill Direct) and dark purple (Docrafts Papermania textured); Stamps - digital Flower Flourish (Floppe Latte) and greeting from SU's Wetlands set; ProMarkers - greens and bluebell; Large white doily; Butterfly - die that was free from Simply Cards & Papercraft magazine; Inks - Memento Tuxedo Black; Gems - Anita's clear crystal gems

9 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

A day of visitors for you!

Shame Mr Sunshine didn't show his face as well.

Hope your friend gets on OK at the hospital.

Great card. Love the layout and that gorgeous butterfly.

Have a good week and I hope the weather improves for you.

Love Jules xx

Mrs A. said...

How fortunate that you kept the paper instead of binning it. just shows everything will have its use given time. The paper is a perfect foil for the flower/ flourish. I bought my doilies from Poundland too ages ago and still wading though them.
Thank you for taking the time to flutter by. Hugs Mrs A. (butterfly challenge).

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, I love the blue paper :o)
Jackie xx

scrappymo! said...

Very pretty! Great idea to layer the doily.
I buy mine at the dollar store too and for the first time ever, saw some teensy ones in silver. It was hard but I walked by very quickly as they are consumable...drat!
This was the only thing that really tempted me so far!

Love your pretty card...perfect for Mrs A

Mary said...

Elizabeth, great card. Love the way you used your doily. Layering it, so smart! Love the butterfly and how nice you were able to use your saved paper. Your digital flower is very nice. I guess you could say.....I really like your card! Happy Crafting! Oh, Bonnie looks like a real sweetheart!

Sue said...

Lovely card Elizabeth..my hubby has 4 stents in his heart oh and plus his machine lol hope your friend is fine:) it's been lovely weather for the passed couple of days here but we've just had a downpour think the garden needed a good drink:) huggles Sue xx

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful card Elizabeth.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wow Elizabeth this is really superb work .. well done on doily use and sing snipettes Shaz in Oz.x

Carole Pollard said...

So pretty a really delightful card lovely Love and Happy Crafting Hugs Carole x