Wednesday 14 August 2013

Red and green should never be seen ...

... except on a Christmas card for Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge #137 :)
Hazel has asked that we take our inspiration from this photo:
The red piece for the topper is another of my Gelli plate prints - the mix of Boldmere vermillion and scarlet paint seemed perfect for the challenge. If you watched Barbara Gray's television demonstration recently you will have seen her obtain the mottled finish by crumpling a piece of copy paper and then dabbing it over the plate and removing some of the paint. More paint was removed from the centre to provide a lighter base for stamping on ... the stamp is 'I Wish You a Merry Christmas Dinkie' from IndigoBlu.

The paper for the background is one of my precious Christmas Emporium snippets from Graphic45 over-stamped with faux script using the Ali Reeves garden string on wood block method. Punched leaves, red dewdrops and gold star shaped sequins embellish the front.

The inside and back are decorated with strips cut from the leftovers, punched leaves and 'berries' punched from the trimmings of the Gelli plate print.

Although the topper is attached with glue gel to give some dimension and there's those dewdrops, I'm hoping this card is still thin enough to squeeze through the Royal Mail's skinniest slot. 

I'm also hopping over to the playground to submit this card to Pixie's Crafty Snippets Challenge - Week 85 - hopefully using up that precious leftover piece of Graphic45 qualifies me for a paddle in the duck pond :))

It's been quite a night here at Casa Worthington ... I've just had to listen to the EM shouting in delight one minute and then in agony the next and why ... the England v Scotland friendly. Not normally a follower of football, he made an exception for tonight's game. I think there will be an awful lot of glum faces amongst the boys tomorrow ... my grandson's are all football daft :)

It seems to have been an awful long day for some reason and I am now shattered so I'm off to bed, hoping for a full night's sleep for a change.

Edited Note: forgot to add that I'm also submitting this card to Hazel's Extra Challenge for August for which, as ever, anything goes as long as it is Christmas.

Take care everyone and happy crafting,
 

9 comments:

Jackie said...

A wonderful card Elizabeth. I would love to try this technique but don't want to pay the price of the gelli plate because I am sure I would use it a couple of times then neglect it!
As for red and green should never be seen, tell that to re flowers with green stems and leaves. They say the same about blue and green but I love them together. Mother Nature knows best :o)
Jackie xx

Di said...

A perfect Christmas card Elizabeth. Love the sentiment and the Gelli Plate is going great guns.

Hugs, Di xx

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Elizabeth
I nearly didn't visit as you had the C word in the title
Struggling to even think about it maybe because I work in retail but your card is great very unusual and love the sentiment stamp is it a new one
Janet

Sarn said...

Loving the look of this traditionally coloured Christmas card Elizabeth.

xxx

Hazel said...

Perfect red and green card - so elegant - thanks for sharing for both CHNC challenges (and so early this week - lol!) - hope to see you again soon (you've got plenty of time for another entry this week - lol!) x

Krisha said...

Great card Elizabeth, love a traditional Christmas card.

Karen Petitt said...

Gorgeous Gelli printing! I want one of those plates for Xmas - as I love playing with inks and paints. Lovely use of snippets too hugs Karen

Sandra H said...

This Elizabeth is absolutely gorgeous x

MaryH said...

Loved this card when I saw the colors. THEN when I read you'd created the bkgrnd with the gelli plate, boy, did it ever grab my attention. You're really doing great with that new toy! TFS such a beautiful card. Hugs