Wednesday 18 July 2018

What's On Your Workdesk - Week 476

Hello Deskers, Followers and All,

Wednesday again! It's been said before, and will no doubt be said many more times, but where did the last seven days go?! In fact, I almost forgot what day it is ... not entirely surprising at my great age ... so here for you, and our Head Desker, Julia, at the Stamping Ground, is what's on my desk today.
There's been a bit of stamping going on and a lot of scrapping. On an impulse, and perhaps a bit rash of me, I've signed up for the summer challenge on Mind The Scrap's Facebook group. I think I forget just how busy life is!!! The warm up began last evening so that's the first layout sitting on top of a stack of paper and the really useful box that's full of supplies beneath ... this last now seems to be a permanent fixture these days. On the left is new stamps I've been testing. They are part of a mini haul from Monday's trip to The Range.
As you can see, there are more than a few unicorns. My great niece, Arihanna, loves unicorns and mermaids and I suspect flamingos too. The snowman and butterfly punch were a happy find in a charity shop. Seems that someone had handed in boxes of crafty stash and I had a fine old time riffling through it. Sadly, much of it wasn't my taste but I did like the quirky snowman and you can never have two many butterfly punches.

Only one book to share this week. I'm still listening to Grisham's 'The Litigators' - actually it's re-listening to it while I craft away - but my bedtime listening is Secrets of A Family Album by Isla Dewar.


I can't say I'm really enjoying this novel. It's not her best. The main characters, Lily and her mother Mattie, are not very likable and I find myself not caring what happens to them. Also, there's far too much emphasis on what the characters are wearing, what cosmetics they use, etc. Not to mention several paragraphs wasted listing ALL the gifts each character, that gathered at Lily's parents home for Christmas, received! Paragraphs that I'd skip if I was actually reading the book.

That's me done for this week. I'm off to check a few desks before lunch.

Take care everyone and have a great week ahead.

16 comments:

Annie said...

Well done you for signing up toanew Summer challenge....just hope you have more hours in your day to fit it all in. Enjoy every minute.
Hugs,
Annie x #13

Julia Dunnit said...

I do sometimes think that I could edit far more effectively some of the books I've read! Well done on taking up the challenge, it IS a lot of work and you do feel a sense of pressure, but it's a great exercise and learning curve. I filed 37 LOs from the June challenge at Inspired by Memories. Interestingly, the sketches that I would normally have passed over and dismissed have given me some of my favourite LOs, and good grief, some of the sketches caused me to go so far out of my box that I'm still clawing my way back!!Love the dies, I expect you'll get loads of use from them, what a nice successful trip!

Sarah Brennan said...

Hi Elizabeth, nice find in the charity shop. Love the dies you got from the Range. Have a good week. Sarah #16

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth- I too will often find the characters in a book to not grab me. Often then I will just drop the book- I get most from Kindle Unlimited. I often find gems, but now and again they just don't do it for me. Well done on the layout, it looks lovely. I tend to avaid the pressure of keeping up with a challenge, lol. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 XxX

Helen said...

shame about the book - I've read several of hers which i enjoyed. Must get back into the habit of reading to relax me before sleep, I seem to have stopped! Good luck with your scrap challenge! Helen #1

Caro said...

Gorgeous scrapbooking layout. Thanks for sharing. Caro x (#31)

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love going through charity shops and finding treasures too, but haven't had a chance to do so since last Summer. I've been reading The Complete Father Brown Stories, that my wife gifted me, since I love the BBC series. Happy WOYWW and Blessings!

Twiglet said...

Great charity shop finds - I love a good root around in fabric boxes or haberdashery is there is any in our local one. xx Jo

StampinCarol said...

Very nice scrapbook page! Some fun stuff, too!
Have a great week!
Carol N #24

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I really like the Range their craft and Art collection has really come on. I tend to send more to charity shops than I buy, don't dare stay long in case I go home with more than I deliver to them. Have a lovely creative week and a happy woyww, Angela x11x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Aww what little girl doesn't like unicorns and mermaids, i'm always giving my odds & ends away to charity and scared to look in the shops I give too in fear of buying back what I have given. Have fun with your new challenge sign up, I used to love the groups I was once part of.
Thanks for sharing WOYWW have a super week Tracey #7

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Yes, time is a curious thing Elizabeth isn’t it, very elastic when it’s yet to come, but totally shrinks when here!!!
Yoikes, this year is careening out of sight almost!!😆
Love your layout, well done on finds and creations!!
Thanks for sharing your inspiration! Happy belated WOYWW
Shaz in Oz.x #32

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Sorry I'm late replying - been to Winchester to clear out my son's uni flat, visiting Julia en route! Well done you for taking on a challenge, I guess it's a good method of kick starting some crafting. I always love the idea but find that I'm rubbish at sticking to it! Do you ever give up on books these days? I always used to finish a novel, even if I didn't enjoy it but I've now got to the Life is too Short time and drop out if I'm not getting into the story!
Hugs LLJ 8 xxx

Stacy Sheldon said...

HI Elizabeth, ooh I used to find such treasures at yard sales so, the fact that you found two pieces made me smile. I am sure the fantasy dies will be fun to play with too. Oh I know, once in a great while I will put on a murder mystery audio book and of course someone will walk into the room right when things are bloody. lol such is life. ~Stacy #30

Lindart said...

I think I will pass on the last book you are reading! I'm reading Maeve Binchy's A Week in Winter. Anything by MB is awesome! I also just finished reading Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, reminded me of MB! Thrift shops are so awesome, I am very lucky to be working in one! Thanks for your visit, have a great week, Lindart #29

Nikki said...

Beautiful page you have all laid out there :)
It's so tough to even finish a book that your not enjoying sounds like they want you to go shopping
hugs Nikki late