Wednesday 20 June 2018

What's On Your Workdesk - Week 472

Morning Everyone,

Back again after, for a special reason, missing last week's What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday over at the Stamping Ground.

Yes, it's our very own Annie who, with her lovely hubby, travelled all the way up to Scotland to stay in a nearby village cottage. So near that we were able to spend several lovely days together showing them the delights of Ayrshire, including where we are in this photo, Culzean Castle. Not to mention the particularly yummy delights of Nardini's in Largs - ice cream!!! The week sped by to quickly but without our blogs and Julia's WOYWW we would never have become such good friends - and what a shame that would have been. Like Annie says, 'we shared much chatting, laughter, cakes and, oh yes, ice cream ... Ellie made me eat it honest!' She's not kidding, I really did ... nobody goes to Nardini's and not eat ice cream!!!



Of course, I would have been somewhat remiss had I not told Annie about the fabric shops in the area ... well, she is a sewist after all! One of the best is Mandors in Glasgow. Annie lost no time in visiting this magical shop bringing back a gorgeous selection of fabric which she insisted on splitting with me ... someone who shares her stash is my definition of a real friend! Annie, I'm still stroking these on a regular basis!
And, at last, the reason your here ... my desk today. Another layout in progress. Since I reorganised (read cleaned and decluttered completely) my craftroom I've rediscovered my love of scrapping. The pile of coloured cardstock is there while I decide which one would make the best layer for that photo. At the back is a book of layout sketches - my page is based on the third one down on the left on the page it's open at. The alphas will be used when I eventually decide on a title. Why, oh why, is it so hard to think of titles??? Up in the left corner of the photo is a post card which reminds me that my daughter and I will be off to  a quilt show at Mary's Patch, Glencarse, at the weekend. I discovered Mary's Patch by chance on the road to Aberdeenshire, where we were visiting my son a couple of months ago, when we stopped for a bite to eat ... a serendipitous stopover if ever there was one!

I haven't stopped listening to Audiobooks and I do intend to update you on all books listened to over the last couple of months but I think this post is long enough for Julia as it is. I'll just leave you with the one I'm listening to as I type, 'Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind & Soul' by Ruth Soukup.




While I was in a decluttering mood I thought this would book would be just the thing needed to encourage me to keep going! And up to a point it has though I don't necessarily agree with everything Ms Soukup has to say on the matter. She has a very interesting viewpoint on the hobby of scrapbooking ... in a nutshell, she appears to think it's a waste of time!



Right, that's my lot for this week. I have a day at home today so I should be able to visit a goodly number of desks - well, that's the plan!

Take care everyone and have a wonderful WOYWW.

19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes, I saw Annie's comment on her blog. I had a good laugh. But I was really impressed with all that fabric she shared with you. Some of it is really incredible.

So glad you decluttered and found your love of scrapbooking again. I have never gotten the bug, I never had a good enough digital camera until I got this one, and I never cared for the formulaic designs of scrapbooking. But I've seen yours in the past and they are out of this world. So glad to see you are on a roll and will be making some great layouts soon. I LOVE that patterned paper. Happy WOYWW from #1.

Catriona said...

We’re in sunny Stoney this week so we'll definitely be calling in on our way home to Glencarse. I live in Hamilton and have been known to jump on the X1 bus to Mandors and be back with fabric within two hours- naughty me! PS if you ate ice cream from the big Nardinis, it came from Equis in Hamilton.

Sarah Brennan said...

So glad you and Annie had such a good time together. That fabric shop sounds amazing and I don't even do that much sewing. Ice cream... yum, I can't resist either. That book of scrapbook layouts must be really useful, I often struggle with that which is why I don't do much. Have a great week. Sarah #19

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Awww, that's a lovely pic of the four of you! I can't get over how well the EM is looking, particularly after his bout of ill health earlier this year. I do love a good ice cream, so I'm definitely visiting Nardini's if we come up your way, lol! Though Mandors sounds worth a trip too...... :-D
Hugs LLJ 11 xxx

Annie said...

Oh you say the nicest of things but of course you’re right 😉 best friends are meant to share....and didn’t it make us both smile? I’m still stroking mine regularly but do intend using my share of our fabrics when I get a minute...and that won’t be this week 😂😂😂😂
Big hugs,
Annie x #16

Kelly said...

Good morning, Elizabeth. Sounds as if you and Annie had a lovely few days. Great to meet-up sometimes. While I'm not an ice cream lover (I hear you gasping from here hehe), that fabric would definitely be on my purchase list.. just don't tell my hubby. :-) Creative Blessings! Kelly #36

glitterandglue said...

Hi Elizabeth. How lovely to see you here again. And what a great photo of the four of you all out enjoying yourselves. Hmm - de-cluttering sounds good in principle - but we have to be careful not to get rid of all the precious memories we have don't we... or is that me being lazy??
Reading Jan's comment makes me think it won't be that long before she and hubby head for Scotland!!I'm coming up to Mull in the summer - I know it will be a long drive, but our whole family have rented a large house on the island and are having a week there - won't be your way though, as I will be driving straight up from the Lake District, then after our family holiday, going straight back to the Lakes for another week before going home - yes, I'll be towing the van as far as the Lakes - teehee.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

Helen said...

Great photo of the 4 of you, and what a fun time you had.. Loving the shopping that you enabled..how kind of Annie to share with you too! Helen #3

Twiglet said...

A lovely post Elizabeth - that photo is one to treasure - what a happy bunch. You certainly sound to have had a great few days together and Annie was full of it when I saw her yesterday! xx Jo

Hazel said...

Love the things on your desk - all those alphabet letters - can never have too many (especially when a letter you want has run out - happens to me a lot!). Love the photo of the four of you. Thanks for sharing today - Hazel, WOYWW 472 #17 xx

Caro said...

How lovely to have made a friend through WOYWW and I love the photo of you all. Those fabrics look yummy and I look forward to seeing the finished layout. Caro x #24

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I bet you all had a brilliant time when Annie visited. Bet she had fun looking round the gorgeous fabric samples. Thanks for the visit to mine and have a very happy WOYWW, Angela x22x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

How lovely Elizabeth.. I saw Annies post too and it was fun all the way. So glad you had such a great meet up.
I've never had the interest for scrapping but do own some unused 12 x 12 pads. I should try and use them up and create some family album pages but I hardly have time to do what I do at present, let alone start another craft.. maybe one day.
Happy Crafting and Thank you for sharing WOYWW.
Tracey #4

Sue said...

Hi Elizabneth, How lovely to get to spend time with your WOYWW friends. Sounds like a great time together, especially tyhe ice cream:)

I like the look of the LO with the black and white.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #9

Neet said...

Well Mrs Soukup obviously isn't a crafter as such. Hope she was helpful in all the other areas.
Love the photo of the quartet, lovely smiles all round. Bet it was wonderful to spend so much time with Annie and husband. Ice cream Huh?
Hugs, Neet 5 xx

Diana Taylor said...

Ooh ice cream and fabric - what more could you need!! Sounds like a perfect holiday - so glad you had a nice time and good for you with the de-cluttering - it can be a hard job with difficult choices to make sometimes, but well worth the effort at the end!
Hope you have a great week,
Diana x #20

Heather M said...

Hi Elizabeth, sorry I'm a day late. I'm glad you and Annie had such a wonderful time, great photo, and what a lovely gesture to share the fabric stash with you. Well done on the decluttering, and I look forward to seeing your future layouts. Thanks for stopping by earlier, Mr M is my beloved hubby who I married last year after his heroics! The calligraphy isn't impressive close up, but practise makes perfect! Have a lovely week Heather x #13

Julia Dunnit said...

Sorry, I’m late. Almost jealous of the fun days you’ll have spent with Annie and D, and definitely jealous of the ice cream!! How like Annie to share her new stash...OMGee I would feel a real pressure to produce something if that were me.! Happy that scrapping has come back to your desk, perfect thing to do whilst listening to a book that tells you not to bother!! My last book was ‘The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry’, beautifully narrated by Jim Broadbent. Most of my non fiction listens are history related. Interesting what you notice when you start looking at your library!

Annie Claxton said...

Hi Elizabeth, so to be so late visiting. Looks like you and Annie had a wonderful time, how lovely it always is to meet in person and isn't it brilliant how the internet has brought so many of us together. Lots of us seem to mbe on a clearing/reorganising kick at the moment, including myself and as you say it does rekindle the urge to scrap (and lots of other crafts) when you rediscover all the lovely stuff you have and sort it out so you can use it :o) Annie C #18