Wednesday 1 November 2017

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - Week 439

November already. Where has the year, never mind the last two weeks, gone? It's been quite a while since I posted and I feel guilty. It's not as if I didn't have anything to report - it's been a busy old time - but there's been no crafting to show and an empty desk week after week can be pretty boring to look at. Anyway, I've found some time this evening to join in with Julia's What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday and reveal what's on mine today.
A patchwork block in progress. Hopefully it will be included in the quilt that we are making at the craft group I go to on Thursday afternoons. It will be our entry for a competition at the March Hobby Craft Exhibition at the SECC Glasgow.

And talking of the SECC here's a few photos taken when my daughter and I had a day out together at the October Hobby Craft Exhibition last Thursday.
Every year there's a winter tableau at the entrance to the show. This is the one for this year.

There was no large quilt exhibition to speak of this time - it's the Spring show that usually has one - but I did find these two hanging up at a stall.


There was a wonderful steampunk display. The tartan wedding dress and hat were simply stunning.

Sorry about the quality of the photo. I'm still learning how to use the camera on my new phone.

The Haywood Girls entertained us in the dining area with swing numbers from the 1940s. Lovely ladies they are too.

Of course, I couldn't go to a Hobby Craft show and not come home with a bit of a haul.
There was a lot of yarn stalls and I was tempted. Plenty there to keep me busy during the upcoming winter months.
I picked up this inexpensive bag of tweed scraps thinking I could, at last, maybe get around to trying some of the applique projects on a ebook/video 'Harris Tweed, Applique for Beginners' by Chris Hammacott, that's been on my shelf for a couple of years now.
Not so interesting perhaps but necessary, new bits and bobs - blades for the rotary cutter, Wonderweb for applique and magnetic fasteners for bag-making.

That's my winter taken care off.

I'll leave you with a couple of photos of our Molly. She's quite a handful, full of life, intelligent and needing to be endlessly entertained - one of the main reasons why I've not been able to write up posts for this blog recently.. At our age, the EM is almost 80 and I'll be 70 in a few weeks time, it's clear we're not as fit as you need to be to handle such a lively puppy. Anyway, here she is.

Here I am with her on a walk in Culzean Country Estate. As you can see she likes nothing better than to go rooting around in the undergrowth.

Take care everyone and have a very good week.

12 comments:

Helen said...

the tartan dress looks amazing! So too does your patchwork block! You are certainly being kept young with Molly. Happy WOYWW Helen #4

Sarah Brennan said...

Hi Elizabeth, Molly certainly keeps you on your toes. Great haul from the show and those steampunk outfits are certainly amazing. Happy WOYWW Sarah #23

Annie said...

Lots of lovely new stash there Ellie but I have to say little Molly steals my attention. I know just how much energy you need with a puppy but I’m sure that like me you wouldn’t be without her. She sounds to be a real little character and that will keep you both young 😀
Big hugs,
Annie x #10

Twiglet said...

Oh such lovely crafty stuff you have there Ellie - the lovely blue yarn catches my eye, as does the tweed - gorgeous. Cute little puppy too. x Jo

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, glad you had a good time at the show, we are off to the Birmingham venue this weekend, so i'm sure I'll be bringing a haul of new stuff too. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #6 XxX

Lindart said...

Your patchwork block looks wonderful! I love the red on the B&W squares! Thanks for the visit to the craft show! Glad you got lots of goodies to get you through the winter! AS far as the lively puppy - she will keep you going! Animals are so important, I think, especially as we get on in years, for their undying love for us, and our need to care for and love other living things! Sometimes I think that if it weren't for Inky, I just might spend all day in bed!Thanks for sharing, have a great week! Lindart #36

CraftygasheadZo said...

Love the patchwork and your makes. Love this pics of you and your Molly. Take care Zo xx 26

BJ said...

You made WOYWW - horrah! Love the red butterflies on the black and white patchwork. BJ#1

Shoshi said...

Lovely post, Elizabeth. I love going to craft shows - always so much to see and photograph! And I always come back with loads of stash too! Your butterfly quilt is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I love the contrast between the black and white and the pink.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #5

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, great photographs. Thanks for sharing and happy belated WOYWW, Angela x11x

craftyani said...

Like the way you have prepared for winter projects. My that dressing is stunning not sure about the accessories though.
I had second thoughts about taking a puppy as I turned 70 this year, although I do miss the walks and the people I used to meet when I walked my old dog. So only cats for me now. Anickoana#8

Kelly said...

HI Elizabeth!
I love seeing the fabrics and that Tartan wedding dress is stunning! Who needs white when you have something so traditional. Creative Blessings! Kelly #27