Wednesday 13 July 2011

WOYWW 110

Good Afternoon Everyone,


Never mind the week, where has the morning gone! It was the hairdresser's today and I've been rather busy over the last week. Apart from a trip out to see the Red Arrows do their thing and the Tall Ships set sail from Greenock - if you haven't seen the photos see my previous post here - and another trip to Dunaskin Heritage Centre, photos yet to be posted, yet another corner of the craft space has been made over and that took the better part of a week to complete. Which is why there is not much to see on my workdesk today - a few bits and pieces and a print of Jo's, better known as Twiglet, fabulous Postcard from Wales collage which arrived this morning.  Anyone interested in seeing other folks' workdesks should visit Julia, Headkeeper of Workdesks, at Stamping Ground, and follow the links - but be prepared, it could take some time! What follows is, for anyone interested, the makeover:


This is the old, well worn, falling to bits computer desk. As you can see it was compact. Everything was tucked under it - originally it had doors at the front which was fine when it occupied a corner of the lounge. However, it really took up quite a lot of space when the doors were open so they had to go for it to fit into this wee room, which only measures about 7.5' x 8.5'. As you can see there's a lot of stuff packed into that corner, computer and all it's component parts, laser printer and several reams of paper - and that's just the desk. On and under the shelf on the right hand side is a TV & DVD player (to watch crafting DVDs/videos only!) and the colour printer, underneath is a drawer set that not only holds all sorts of lovely crafty stash but had yet more paper, etc., on top. It all felt a bit of a muddle and there was just no room to stretch my legs under that desk - it had to go.


And go it did! All that lovely space to fill - but only after the EM did his handyman thing and fill a few holes, etc. And here's what we filled it with.


Not a desk, but a really sturdy table which gives me more usable worktop to play with and plenty of leg room underneath. The really useful plastic drawer set is tucked underneath it, and the TV is still in the corner when needed, but I have moved the computer screen off centre so I can see the birds at the feeder outside and the hard drive is on top of the desk - easier to see what I'm doing there too. When not in use the keyboard, etc., sits on top of the hard drive leaving space to work on. I've even got a dedicated Cuttlebug Corner.


And, here is the first sight of the set of drawers recently purchased on a trip to IKEA - now just in front of the Cuttlebug corner.


Ta Dah!!! All filled up and labelled with contents. The colour printer has been re-sited on the top of the long worktop next to the window.


And this is a view of my usual perch.


Makeover complete. And I'm really chuffed with the result - it now looks a whole lot less like an office and much more like a craftroom and, a real benefit, I can stretch my legs whilst blogging. And, best of all, was what it all cost, £19.99 for the drawer set and, bargain of the week, the table was only £7.49 from our local Age Concern shop - total £27.48! How good is that? : )

Unfortunately, I only managed one scrap layout this last week and was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms so, now that the makeover is done, I should be able to get on with some serious crafting. Besides, once more I need to catch up on making Christmas cards - I'm behind again :(  But first, I'm off to visit as many of you good folks as I can - I actually did rather better last week despite the disruption so, hopefully, I'll do better again this week.

In the meantime, I wish you all well and a very happy and productive week ahead.

25 comments:

jude said...

Dont you just love a bargain!!Wow love the new luck now and all the storage and space you have bet makes room look bigger.Love the table bargain bargains bargains just love em!!lol
Have fab wednesday and creative week ahead.Hugs judex 11

Belinda Basson said...

I wish we had Ikea in South Africa, I have been to the one in the UK and it is stunning. Makes make overs easy and reasonable. Great job.

NGCARDS said...

Oooh a lovely peek at your craft space hun xxx

Mrs A. said...

Now that has to be the best make over programe I've watched in ages!! Looks fab and the price is right! Hugs Monkey & Mrs A. #88

Sharne Davies said...

new look is fab and you should get at least twice the output in your new place.

Hettie said...

It is lovely when you have new space just how you like it! Happy Crafting in your new space!

scrapwordsmom said...

I love your usual perch. Looks so cozy and delightful. What fab windows, too!

lisa said...

Goodness what a makeover, Elizabeth. It all looks great. What would we do without Ikea?
I heard about the tall ships on the travel bulletins yesterday so it was lovely to see your photos of them and the Red Arrows too. I haven't seen them in years!!
Happy WOYWW
Hugs Lisax

Sarah said...

Love the makeover!!

I think a proper table is better for us crafters than a desk, far more roomy. Mine belonged to my Dad (who we sadly lost to cancer 2009) and it pleases me to know it was the table I saw him sat at for so many years....

Thanks for stopping by at mine....

S x

Angie said...

Wow ...love your craft haven ...and you only spent such a little on the makeover ...well done you. I still haven't finished labeling mine ...got distracted. xx

Neet said...

Love your new table and I have some of those drawers from Ikea - love them - surprising how much each one holds. Thanks for sharing your desk with us all. Hugs, #5 Neet x

Joni Nickrent said...

WOW! Awesome work space! The table and all of your storage is fab! Great job! Thanks for popping by over at Pop Art Minis too! Nice meeting you!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

What a brilliant makeover and so much space to fill. I notice you say you have room to stretch your legs. I did too - once - until things took over that space and the dog grabbed the little space that was left. Mind you, he is a good foot warmer in winter. Thank you for your concern at my non-appearance. Things are fine here apart from not enough hours in the day to breathe at the moment. Hopefully, I will be with you all again next week. It is so nice to know that people are so kind and caring .

Neil said...

Thanks for sharing your space this week. Brilliant makeover! Have a good and creative rest of the week.

Di said...

It looks great Elizabeth! Hope you have loads more fun crafting away in such a lovely room. Hugs, and sorry I'm late this week! Di xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm totally impressed with the makeover. It is fabulous and the price was PERFECT. Sorry I haven't been able to leave comments before, but I really HAVE been here to check out your art. And I have always appreciated that you visit me regardless of my blogger situation. Hope your WOYWW was great because I know I'm a bit late getting here.

Anonymous said...

Great makeover Elizabeth, a much better use of the space and look what it cost you, almost nothing! Have a great crafty weekend and enjoy your new space.

Hugs
Brenda

Nicole said...

What a lovely space! I really like looking at other people's craft space. Totally inspiring. Have a nice weekend!

Angie said...

Just poped back to say I'm so glad you enjoyed it ...makes it even more worth while doing it. Fancy your Dad being part of an historic event ... something well worth recording on a LO ...with a photo of the bridge...one of him around that time ...and the write up.

akilli melek said...

love the remodelling, and what a great space that table gives you.
Heading down your neck of the wood on Monday to see some old friends, so hoping the weather is better in your area than in mine. Torrential today!
thanks for popping by ealier, just getting round to some blog time now
caroline #46

okienurse said...

very nice makeover. Looks like an awesome place to craft. Thanks for sharing. Vickie

Julia Dunnit said...

HUGE success Elizabeth - especially as you freed up the radiator too - you'll be all warm and snug when the winter comes! You won't regret the cuttlebug corner, I can vouch!

sue said...

great makeover elizabeth,lovely craft room sue xx

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Isn't it exciting when you get something new? :) Beautiful makeover and enjoy your new crafting space.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for stopping by. Playing catch up. Peeped about a bit and love your top post on the trains. Thanks for sharing all the photos. Your workarea here...LOVE the BRIGHNESS from the great windows. Enjoy the week. I have 3 grandkids visiting so will be fun busy. 117 heat index so inside today.