Friday 4 March 2016

Friday Smiles

Morning Smilers,

It's been an incredibly busy week at Chez Worthington. Out on Tuesday, new floor laid Wednesday morning, vet's appointment in the afternoon, and out all day at the Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts Show in Glasgow with my daughter yesterday. The result of all this gadding about is that I have loads of photos to choose from for Annie's Friday Smiles.

First up is a photo of my great-granddaughter, Rhian, all smiles after her wee operation to remove a bead that 'just fell into' her ear.
It proved to be a wee bit more difficult to remove than the average foreign body stuck in an ear. Despite trying various methods and instruments known to do the job it wouldn't budge and Rhian got more and more distressed so it was decided it was best that she was admitted to hospital to have it removed under general anaesthetic. The op was a success and, as you can see, she came through the ordeal with a big smile on her face.

Next, a few of photos from our trip to the show yesterday.
To give an idea of how tall this giant medieval lady, part of an amazing knitted display, here's daughter, Juli, standing beside alongside. Juli is about 5' tall so I reckon medieval woman is at least 8'.
Just about everything you see is knitted, even the leaves and the tent!
I just had to take this shot of Juli struggling to find a bag in her bag. We had a giggle at how difficult it was proving to be. Here in Scotland, since the bag charge was introduced in 2014, we're well practiced at carrying a stash of bags wherever we go, just in case, but it can be quite a struggle to release them from captivity :)

Finally, not a joke this week but a sentiment that really appealed to me.
We met a lot of lovely people in Glasgow yesterday, from the two delightful ladies who shared our taxi to the SECC, to the very interesting and interested and informative women who were responsible for the fabulous displays of quilts and embroideries, to the traders who were very happy to help us with our purchases, to the lovely lady who was sitting beside me while we ate lunch, and I can say without reservation they all 'had hearts like dogs'!

We're off on another trip out today. This time through the lovely hills and dales of Galloway. Despite the snow that's happening elsewhere in the UK, the weather is on our side here so I think it will be a lovely day.

Wishing you all a very smiley weekend.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Morning Elizabeth, I'm glad they managed to retrieve the bead. Rhia looks very happy sitting up in her hospital bed. I loved the photos of your show. It looks as if you and your daughter had a lovely day out together and met some nice people. What a sweet photo of the dog and how true. The only downside I can think of is we'd all eat our own chocolate and wouldn't share! Barbxx

Annie said...

Hehe Scottish bags are obviously a savage bunch if they need such restraint 😀 It's so good to see Juli grinning from ear to ear....I'm certain she has sooooo much to smile about now. Thanks for sharing your smiles Ellie.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Love the doggie words of wisdom, so true and pleased you had a great time at the show, I am looking forward to the NEC hobbycrafts in a couple of weeks. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

Wow! You are a busy girl! All sorts of nice things. The exhibition/show looks great. I have never seen things like that. And all knitted!
Have a really great day in Galloway today,
and a very good week too,
Lisca

Lynn Holland said...

Laughter and tears all round this week.
The show looked good
Have a good weekend
LYnn xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You certainly have a LOT to smile about this week. Great to see Rhian smiling. I remember when she was just a baby.

I've never heard of the bag charge, but I think it's probably a good idea. When I got home yesterday, I noticed a plastic bag had gotten caught in a high branch of the tree in my front yard. I commend you for carrying bags.

I haven't knitted in years, but these were over the top. So glad you had fun and I know you have lots to smile about this weekend.

Laura said...

Wow, what a knitted display! Glad you had a good time

mamapez5 said...

I am glad Rhian has been sorted out. Beads are very problematic things where little ones are concerned!
The show looks superb. Wow all that knitting! it is good to meet other like-minded folk at these gatherings isn 't it. Kate x