Monday 21 March 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Celandines and Crocus

Hello Everyone,

It's officially Spring, at last, and that's making looking for material for Mondays, and Cathy's In A Vase On Monday, much easier. A trip round the garden is now a real pleasure as I spot one plant after another coming into leaf or flower  - promises of gorgeousness to come.
There are also delightful patches of bright colour like the lovely clump of Lesser Celandine (Ficaria verna) spotted almost hidden away at the foot of the flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum) and purple crocus.
Here the celandines are teamed up with tiny Tete-a-Tete daffodils and two white Jeanne d'Arc crocus. I did think about adding the purple crocus to the mix but decided that the colour wouldn't look so good in the brightly decorated little French pot I'd decided on for this arrangement.
Instead, I rooted out this teeny weeny thistle shaped jug for it's amber colour and stuffed it full with the lovely crocus. The variety is unknown as they were already here in the garden when we moved in.
This is our clump of celandines. Belonging to the buttercup (Ranunculus) family, they are more commonly seen flowering in woodlands, hedgerows, graveyards and parks. Everything I've read suggests that they can create a thick carpet of gold but not in my garden. This clump is all we have but I have high hopes that if I leave it alone it will, in time, spread to make that golden carpet for me.

Happy Gardening,

6 comments:

brenda said...

Beautiful Spring blooms Elizabeth, it's such a glorious time of year.

B x

Barb said...

Oh Elizabeth what a wonderful post from you today. I can almost smell your flowers. How fresh and pretty they look. You use such pretty containers. I love the little amber jug. Barbxx

Anonymous said...

Definitely looks like spring with today's blooms, Elizabeth. AS some celandines can be extraordinarily invasive erhaps it would be sensible just to be grateful that this little clump is all you have got... ;)

Donna said...

Elizabeth. these are adorable....I love the tea pot and the little blooms.

Hannah said...

I have so many small flowers I treasure small to tiny vases for them, your thistle jug is so cute, Elizabeth. It works great with the crocuses. The yellow on the French vase goes well with the Celandine and Daffodils. I am growing some Celandine but the flowers are quite large and are over fairly quickly, but I saw some at a plant sale that were much smaller and seemed to keep blooming a longer time. I think yours are the smaller one?

Anca Tîrcă said...

The perfect image of spring. lovely colours and jars!