Thursday 5 December 2013

Another Year Older Card

Evening Everyone,

Oh dear, it's so long since I last posted anything! Time seems to be running away from me right now ... is it the same for you? I'm not panicking yet but with only 19 days to the big day ...

And the weather! It's been absolutely dreadful today. We've been anxiously waiting to see if the power would go off, the long fence in the back garden would blow down and even the trees looked as though they might just be ripped up by the fearsome wind. There's some flooding in the road in front of the house. We've had everything today, gales, rainstorms, hailstones and now snow ... oh for a bit of high pressure to ease things.  

Anyway, all that aside, I had to find 15 minutes or so to make this card for a birthday happening soon (I've had 3 birthdays to make cards for this month already!!!)
The recipient is male, and a lover of wildlife, so I've kept it simple using items from the Pollyanna Pickering Collection by Lynda Chapman. I succumbed to temptation and treated myself to this fabulous collection for my birthday ... well, why not? I'm worth it :)) All I've added to make the card is slate grey cardstock from stash for matting and layering and some Wilkinson's grey raffia ribbon for the bunting.


The inside and back are decorated with leftovers from the two sheets of patterned paper and the grey card I used for the front.

More weather related news - my grandson, Josh, was due to fly from Aberdeen to Shetland this afternoon, to take up a new job there, but all flights have been cancelled. He's now in a B&B nearby and hoping to get out early tomorrow morning. His new employer does not seem to be unduly concerned at the delay and just expects him to get there on the first available flight over, whenever that might be.

Now, I'm off to have a cuppa, tick another job off my neverending and ever lengthening 'to-do' list and maybe even write a sentence or two in my Christmas journal :)

Hope you are all well and taking care, keeping out of the winds and away from the flooding - especially those living on the coast in the north of Wales and the east of the UK. 

Stay safe, warm and dry until it has all blown over.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Methinks we were luckier than you weatherwise here in the East Midlands. The winds were very strong and there were trees blown down, but we didn't have the snow or the electricity blackouts!
Gorgeous card Elizabeth, I am an avid fan of Pollyanna Pickering and have two of her owl sketches, one of them signed to me :o)
Jackie xx

coops said...

so gorgeous elizabeth.fab design and i love the stunning owl :D

xx coops xx

Sandra H said...

O My Goodness Elizabeth this is simply stunning beautiful layout and owl x

scrappymo! said...

This is a stunning card. That owl is amazing. I am going to check out this company as my family loves wildlife art.

Your card design is great and of course the inside and back do not disappoint. My New Years goal is to finish the inside of my cards when I first make them...inspired by you!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Just simply superb there Elizabeth well done you! so beautiful take care, Shaz in oz.x

Darnell said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Elizabeth! I'm sorry I didn't know, I could have sent you a birthday greeting in my new home card, which I hope arrived safely. I'm so glad you treated yourself to that fantastic collection! Your card is stunning!! And I'm delighted you found your decorations!! Hugs, Darnell