Thursday 17 March 2011

Sunny Hello Card

Good Morning Afternoon

The EM has a new Samsung Digital camera and as he was itching to try it out I allowed him to practice on this card - and the photos are not half bad. I think I'll be borrowing it from now on.



The inspiration for this card came from a one I admired on Kath's Blog, see it here. Yellow is so not my colour - never wear it, never decorate with it, etc. - but this warm sunny card really sang to me :) Needless to say I had none of the materials Kath used so I improvised and the result is quite different altogether. I also decided to try a card shape I had seen demo'd on TV recently. I took a regular square shaped card and chopped of half of the front then attached the topper to hang over the edge - and it worked!



I decorated the inside by edging the DP and carrying it over a little to the inside front (also seen demonstrated on TV). I can almost hear you thinking, I obviously watch way too much TV and should get out more! But in my defence the TVthon took place during my recent bout of arthritis which confined me to the sofa! So back to the card - I used my lovely new PB stamp called Aspire and chose a really golden yellow ink pad and went of the edge for the insert, leaving enough room to write a short note.


Materials Used:
  • Cardstock: white card for base & embossed topper; yellow card for matting
  • Paper: from the Papermania Sunshine Paper Pack
  • Embossing folder: Papermania Mini Polka
  • Stamp: Penny Black's Aspire; Hero Arts Hello Greetings
  • Ink pads: Adirondack Sunshine Yellow; Whispers Sunshine
  • Punch: Martha Stewart's Around the Page; Woodware corner rounder
  • Embellishments: Satin trimmed organza ribbon and topaz gems from stash
Kath, if you see this, you'll be thinking that the result looks nothing like your card, and, okay, it's not, but I rather like it. I wish I could have made the flowers that are on Kath's original but didn't have the materials so omitted them altogether.

Have I changed my mind about yellow? Well, no. I still wouldn't wear it but it does make a sunny and cheerful card and I can only hope that the recipient will love yellow!

Let me know what you think of the colour.

Before closing, I just want to say that my heart goes out to the people in Japan at this time. I've watched many of the TV reports and been horrified by the scenes of devastation but also heartened to see the rescue teams still searching for, and even sometimes finding, the survivors. It will take time to repair the damage and the survivors will need all the strength they can muster to get through this - may they find the spirit needed to face the months ahead.  

Happy Crafting

6 comments:

Wiccababe said...

what a fab sunshiney card
Debz
xx

coops said...

beautiful card elizabeth.i love the fresh spring colours :D

xx coops xx

Jackie said...

A beautiful card to lift the spirits on these grey and murky mornings :o)
Jackie xx

akilli melek said...

great card elizabeth, i like yellow almost as much as i like green but rarely work with it. funny huh!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

I do love this Aspire stamp Elisabeth, did you check out my post on it! as has links to Shazsilverwolf's cards on it and hers are amazing
Shaz in Oz.x
see http://calligraphycards-shazinoz.blogspot.com/2011/03/penny-black-aspire-stamp-brayered.html

Kath Stewart said...

what a gorgeous sunny bright card...hugs kath xxx