Wednesday 29 December 2021

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - Week 656

Hello Everyone, 

Hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas, with family if that was possible or if, like for us, that was not to be then lots of long newsy phone calls with loved ones instead. And here we are halfway through the holiday and it's time for another WOYWW get together over at Julia's Stamping Ground. Here's what's on mine today.

Not a lot though I've spared you the mess of stuff on the far left of the desk. You really don't want to see that. According to the old Scottish custom, known as redding the hoose, I should be up to my eyes in cleaning equipment. 

'Redding the house – rather than a Spring clean, the Scots have a New Year’s clean to welcome in the New Year. Starting the New Year with a dirty house is bad luck. When open fires were common, people would clear the ashes and lay a new fire for the New Year. Cleaning one’s house also extends to clearing one’s debts. And that’s all we’re going to say about overspending at Christmas!' (8 Amazing Scottish New Year's Traditions, Edinburgh's Hogmanay 21)

I well remember my mother spending much of the week between Christmas and New Year doing just that - even the curtains were brought down and washed. But then there was a lot of coal fires in Edinburgh back in the day - not for nothing was it called 'Auld Reekie'. 

Anyway, back to the desk. Just some packs of photos and a pile of stamp sets. I'll be looking through the photos to choose the next one(s) for scrapping. The stamp sets just need put away for now. 

If I had any doubts that having a kitten was akin to having a toddler spotting Silver totally absorbed in the film of Julia Donaldson's The Highway Rat has convinced me! Sadly, like any 'terrible two' her attention didn't last for very long. Once she spotted a bird through the window.she was off out on the chase. 

Now, this week's funnies. 


 

And just before I go:

Alan & I would like to wish you all 

Health, Wealth and Happiness in 2022


And let's hope its a much better year than 2021. Surely we are due a break!


12 comments:

Helen said...

Happy New Year Elizabeth, and good luck with your New Year Redding the house . I should take a leaf out of your customs (but probably won't break the habits of a lifetime) My Christmas was very quiet (as normal) but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Love to you both. Helen #1

Anne said...

Hello Elizabeth. I am just chilling now. No cleaning just yet but may have to put washing on.
Wishing you both a very happy and healthy 2022. Anne x 18

Neet said...

Interesting to learn about the redding. Maybe, unknowingly, we are doing a bit of that tomorrow when we close the caravan up for the drain off. No real closure but we decided to close it for a couple of months when the weather may be bad for travel.
Are those presents on your desk today?
Love the photo of Silver watching the TV, how funny is that and they say cats cannot see television. I am sure some cats have proved them wrong and Silver is one of them - for a short time anyway. Try her with some "tiny tots" programmes, it might work.
Anyhow, Happy New Year to you and Alan - Best wishes for a healthier year ahead for all.
Hugs, Neet 7 xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I knew a lot of cleaning went on but I’d never heard of redding the house before, a new term for me - wonder if G knows it as his mum was from Greenock! We have something similar in Wales too and I always like to take the decorations down before New Years Eve and have a clean around so we can start the New Year afresh. Silver made me laugh, I can always remember Ron trying to chase downhill skiers on the telly!
Wishing you, Alan and the family a happy and healthy 2022 - we deserve a break!
Hugs LLJ 2 xxx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Starting the New Year with a clean house - not a bad idea! Might be a bit too late for us though! Hmm, we still have a couple of days. We've been terribly lazy for the past week - other than the inevitable cooking and washing up. Silver is adorable watching telly and the James Bond funny is hilarious! Wishing you a very happy new year! Just left a comment on your previous post as well, as I missed it last week! xx zsuzsa #21

Lindart said...

Yep, Redding the house is what we've been doing all week, ready for Hogmanay! I'm glad you have a lovely Christmas. Did you get any crafty presents? I remember when both Inky and Mittsy were mesmerized by TV, but not so much anymore! I love the James Bond comparison! I wish you all the best for 2022, and hope that it will be better than the last 2 years we've had! Lindart #23

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Not sure I've got the strength at the moment to start a big clean though i generally work on lots of small cleaning saves the big jobs. Loving your kitty and the funnies are good too. Happy crafty woyww and hoping for a better New Year. Hugs, Angela x9x

Julia Dunnit said...

I totally understand the ‘redding the noose’, it has an attraction, new year, fresh start etc. today I shall mostly be redding the ironing though, the rest of the house will take it’s turn (and it won’t really be redding!) the more I have to do the less I want to do it! Although quieter than planned I hope Christmas was lovely, and that your neice is OK. Love that pic of Silver, isn’t it amazing what can captivate a young mind. I have pics of Jenny just like that!

Sarah Brennan said...

Good luck with the craft room redding for the new year Elizabeth. The James Bond funny made me laugh out loud. Here's to a better 2022. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #6

Twiglet said...

We are having a quiet day today - not that we have done much other than entertain Ben for 2 days which was fun. I might even be tempted into my sewing room but it really needs a good post Xmas sort up and I'm just not in the mood. Happy New Year both - let's hope we can meet up in 2022 - masked and tested if necessary! xxx Jo

BJ said...

Oh sorting out my next load of photos to order is on my list. Kinda waiting till the end of December so I can do Aug-Dec and finish off the year nicely. Oh and then there'll be the scrapping! Your kitten is a scamp!
Had a message today about you being hacked, hope it wasn't too bad, much love and Happy New Year BJ#17

Crafting With Jack said...

Love the photograph of Silver watching TV and the Bond cat, who looks very superior! Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year Angela #15