Friday 3 December 2021

Friday Smiles

Hello Everyone,

And happy Friday. Once again I'm joining in with Annie's Friday Smiles and sharing some photos taken on my birthday on Monday this week. 
We went into town to celebrate. Unfortunately, the place Alan planned on, one of the oldest pubs in Ayr, wasn't serving meals that day. They'd given the chef's a holiday which was nice for them, if not for us. 
Because Alan isn't able to walk far we decided to go to the best fish and chip shop in town which was nearby. 
We had a lovely meal there served by a very nice waitress who couldn't have been more helpful. 

Afterwards, I took the opportunity to take a few shots of the Christmas lights in the High Street. They're not as flamboyant as in previous years but still very pretty. 

The following day, the 30th - the date of his death - was St Andrew's Day. It's a Bank Holiday in Scotland, though when I was born in 1947 - yes, people, I'm that old - the day was celebrated by Scots worldwide but it was not an official holiday. It wasn't until 2006 that our government decided to make it official. 

Here's a wee funny to finish.

Hope you've had much to smile about this week too.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend. 

8 comments:

Annie said...

What beautiful photosEllie. Really glad you enjoyed your meal out together.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Happy belated birthday. Pleased you had a good time even if you had to change the original plan it turned out okay. Loved the funny too. Have good weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

What a great photo of you! You look bonnie. A belated happy birthday to you. Yes, the best made plans....
Fish and chips is such a good choice though. My hubby has a birthday on the 14th (he was born in 1946, so a year older than you) and when I asked him what he'd like to eat he said: fish and chips! Well, as we live in inland Spain, there are no fish and chips places. So we (and another couple) are going to travel to the coast and make a day of it. I'm looking forward to it.
I giggled at your funny.
Have a lovely weekend (hopefully without snow),
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

cuilliesocks said...

Lovely photos Elizabeth and so glade you and Alan got to go out to celebrate our birthday, nothing wrong with fish and chips lol, Kate x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry this is a generic message, but it's all I could pull together. Late Thursday as I headed to the basement, I caught my sleeve on the railing and lost my balance. I fell down 13 of the 14 steps to the basement floor. I laid there for what seemed like hours, but in reality was probably little more than 20-30 minutes. When I was able to get up, I realized I had hurt my back enough that all I could do was lie on it. I have trouble sitting or standing. I hope you understand. If I normally visit you every day, I hope/plan to feel better by Monday. Thanks for your support and understanding. PLEASE, NO SYMPATHY. It was my own stupidity.

Happy belated birthday, Elizabeth

Zoe Tant said...

Lovely photos Elizabeth. Looks like your high street has similar lights to our town. Hope the fish and chips went down well and you had a good birthday. Zoe x

Sandra H said...

This is a lovely post x

Neet said...

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes, you are not as old as me yet so enjoy your youth. Lovely photo of the two of you.
Hugs, Neet xx